It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cease Fire, Lebanon UN plead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20060715/ap_on_re_mi_ea/lebanon_israel_87

In an emotional televised speech, Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora called on the
United Nations to broker an immediate cease-fire to end Israel's land, sea and air offensive against Lebanon.

He also pledged to reassert government authority all over Lebanese territory — suggesting the possibility of deploying the Lebanese army in the south, which Hezbollah effectively controls. That would meet a repeated U.N. and U.S. demand.

The Lebanese are wanting the U.N. to get the Israelis to stop fire.

This is not going to happen anytime soon, it is probably just a way for Lebanon to reinforce there offensive mark on Israel as in a way fro Hezbollah to get enough time to rally more troops for a larger offensive, saying that he might be pulling Sanioras strings. How will this now turn out, when Israel knows Lebanon will not quit there attacks. Hezbollah will not quit until Israel is destroyed.

[edit on 15-7-2006 by ragster]

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This is not going to happen anytime soon

I agree with that.

it is probably just a way for Lebanon to reinforce there offensive mark on Israel

Hey? what offensive mark, you mean Hezbollah?
That statment made no sense to me?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I added it in the top, but in all means a saying that lebanon is possibly contrtolled by Hezbollah and not the leaders of the country.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Lenanese nationals have no qualms with Israel.

Its the Syrian-based Hezbollah and its supporters that have the problem with Israel.

You need to identify that Hezbollah and Lebanon are two seperate entities, even though Hezbollah does have members in Lebanese government. If there were a way to rid Lebanon of Hezbollah (and its supporters) and move them back to Syria.... then you'd be close to solving Israeli insurgency into southern Lebanon.

Seems like a mild cry from PM Siniora to take steps in that direction.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
the problem is Hezbollah cannot stop, they will loose face. these guys are serious, look how long they battled israel before.

i cannot see how israel is not going to goto syria, its just the way it is. i think the g8 guys know this, and thats why they are sending ships there to get there guys out.

we all know israel cannot really stop because there always will be islamic factions pushing them.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The invasion of Iraq now reveals its destined purpose. Doesn't it?

It is conceivable, now, that if Syria does get involved (with its military, not refering to how its already active with Hezbollah)...... the Syrian military could have to support battle on 3 (THREE!!) fronts against two of the best trained formal militaries on the planet.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just know Syrian armies have been one the best armies in the world over the past millenia, and with all that Iran and the Saudis will back them up, for the UAE now that is a whole differnt story, I feel they are running the whole show.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The Syrian army is not that good at all.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The Syrian army shouldn't be sharing the same battlefield as the Israelis or Americans.

If they could, they wouldn't need to fight their wars through underground networks like Hezbollah.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The syrian army might be at all ready for right now but they are a strong force in there hearts, the arab blood is strong with them and they will stand to fight no matter what, in any event other countries will back them up and for that it is a strong army.

www.globalsecurity.org...

In 2002, the Syrian army has roughly 215,000 soldiers. The generall readiness and effectiveness of the Syrian Army is fairly low despite the generally good readiness of its special forces, roughly two armored divisions, one mechanized division and the Republican Guard division. Syria has a significant quantity of armor numbering some 4,700 tanks, though 1,200 are placed in static defensive positions and another 2,000 are T-55s and T-62s. Syria does however have some 1,700 T-72/72Ms.

Syria's artillery capability is significant, as it is armed with 122mm Type 2S1s and 152mm 2S3s. Its towed artillery is comprised mostly of 122mm, 130mm and 152mm weapons. Its multiple rocket launcher inventory consists of Type 63 107mm and BM-21 122mms. According to Anthony Cordesman Syria relies principally on static massed fires and is unable to rapidly shift fires. Accuracy beyond line of site is also lacking as their ability to maneuver and exploit counterbattery radars and targeting systems.

also syria has an elite special forces group that is highly trained and would rival Japanese Honor fighters thourghout the life in the Middle East.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Arab blood strong with them? LOL thats the kiss of death. Arab armies are always getting defeated...they are some of the absolute WORST fighters in the world. I dont think strong arab blood is gonna help them one ioda on the battlefield.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
www.urbandictionary.com...

Arabs

2. Not all people from the middle east are arabs - take for example the turks or the persians (iranians) or the jews for that matter. (people from the middle east are known as semites).

'arabs' refers to a large number (some 250 million) of people inhabiting most of the middle east and north africa that speak Arabic as a language, share similar customs, cuisines and lifestyles, and a more or less common history.

There are arabs of many different races, from black arabs in some of the north african countries to blond haired blue eyed arabs on the mediterranean to the stereotypical tanned/dark featured arab, therefore 'race' is not really a defining factor in terming someone an arab.

Also the term 'Arab' should not be confused with the term 'muslim' as not all muslims are arabs and equally not all arabs are muslims (there are christian arabs and even jewish arabs).

Shame on some of the small-minded ignorant users of this page for the highly malicious, prejudicial and ill-informed views they hold.

The Arabs are a nation bound together by a shared history and culture.

en.wikipedia.org...

Arabs are truly fighters that have no question for quiting, there will to live is to fight, they have seen more death than most westerners will ever see.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragster
The syrian army might be at all ready for right now but they are a strong force in there hearts, the arab blood is strong with them and they will stand to fight no matter what, in any event other countries will back them up and for that it is a strong army.

Well, I still and not sure if you were trying to make a counter-point to what I said, or if you are proving my point for me?

The only thing Syria HAD going for it, was that it has friendly neighbor all around, and only a small corridor to defend from Israel. When Iraq fell, they lost that. Syria is a sitting duck.

They have nothing aerial bombardment would solve.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Syria is incapable of putting up much of a fight against anyone. And for the statement "Arabs have seen more seath than many westerners", that is true....too bad its all on their end.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
But for now all we can do is wait and see, I know the furture of the world is these Middle Eastern hands, so lets see, with help of their might or their fellow neighbor they are string indeed.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I had heard that the US vetoed the UN cease fire request. Anyone see any concrete links for this to confirm? Thats just horrible if its true.

[edit on 16-7-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I had heard that the US vetoed the UN cease fire request. Anyone see any concrete links for this to confirm? Thats just horrible if its true.

Saddly this indeed is the fact.

news.yahoo.com...

Double Standards- US got pretty damn mad that China and Russia didn't accept its resolution against NK in the UN. However when a real problem effects the world- it is the US in the way of progress.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
well the US is not so terrible unless they decide to take over Syria and Lebanon next.............. yikes

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
news.yahoo.com...

Double Standards- US got pretty damn mad that China and Russia didn't accept its resolution against NK in the UN. However when a real problem effects the world- it is the US in the way of progress.

Funny isn't it? How some americans start fuming and turning Red because they thought that China and Russia would not stand with the other Permanent members of the UN Council in regards to Iran but they did, but here it is Bolton at it again. Not doing the right thing that everyone else wants. These guys are going to push us into a war and then climb into their nice deep underground bunker like a bunch of slithering snakes.
This permanent council stuff is BS. It should just be put to a vote by all countries and not just a specific few who can make it or break it.

[edit on 16-7-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Could this be the begining of an Offensive against Syria?

I don't see how this is going to stop until all the Lebanesse members of the GOP Publicly accept Israel right to exist, surrender their seats and face charges of terrorism if it can be proven in a international court of law. In addition Israel must stop the creation of settlements, control of the main roads, ports, water supply, revenues from customs, and the military precense in the Gaza strip. Would that do it?

I am not even sure any more.
I think I am starting to buy in to the "end is near" crowd at my local church.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join