It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classic Horror

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I've heard of Begotten but I haven't seen it yet.

Bought it and then gave it away. It would have been interesting in an artistic sense if it was MUCH, MUCH shorter. It was like Fango and Iris (sp?) in the sense you wish it would just end so you can go one with your life. And I love absurdist and bizarre movies.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetraspace

I felt that Rob in Devil's Rejects was trying to get that old school violent horror feel, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre....did anyone else feel that way about it?

Yeah, that's indeed the spirit of the movie. He pays homages to many of the Chainsaw-like movies. Check out Craven's Last House on the Left: Zombie uses some ideas from this movie clearly on TDR

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Alfred Hitch cock 's Psycho

Black and white film has stabbing horror and looked so cold..

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hey guys sorry!! I was outt for a while!!

Did anyone see any good suspense/horror movies this weekend?? If you did please share them!!

I went out for a beer last night and the bar I usually go to had movie night...they usually play good horrors but last night they had on Secretary...A dark romance...but nothing I guess really up for discussion in here.....

I didn't have any time to watch movies over the weekend though...but please share if you did!

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrExtravaganza

I felt that Rob in Devil's Rejects was trying to get that old school violent horror feel, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre....did anyone else feel that way about it?

Yeah, that's indeed the spirit of the movie. He pays homages to many of the Chainsaw-like movies. Check out Craven's Last House on the Left: Zombie uses some ideas from this movie clearly on TDR

I haven't seen Last House on the Left....going to have to add that to the list

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I haven't seen Last House on the Left....going to have to add that to the list

Last House is a truly disturbing and powerful movie. And not in a good way.

I was squirming in my seat, feeling sick to my stomach and wanted to cry by the end of this movie. For a first movie by a director it shows incredible talent, but fair warning, don't watch it in mixed company. It will make for a less awkward viewing experience.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Really hmmm?? Is it like psychologically distrusting or visually disturbing...?

b/c visually disturbing is not so badd I actually enjoy a good gory horror....

Psychological can get to me...lol well of course...I guess it's meant too.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Honestly, I didn't even notice the gore level. I think it's more of a psychological thing. I wouldn't even classify this as a traditional horror movie, but as a movie that is horrifying.

It's like watching humanity at it's darkest. It's not a perfect movie, but it's the only time I've ever felt like I needed to have a shower after I watched a movie. What makes it so scary (to me) is this could and does happen. Wes Craven pulls no puches with this one.

It's not pretty and without good camera work or sound, but it doesn't matter. It's the subject matter and how it is depicted that is upsetting (for me). I do think the ending was a little silly and overdone, but that doesn't take away from it. In a way, I'm glad it wasn't expertly done. I don't think I could have handled any more realism in this movie.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
well I def. want to check it out....

Thanks for the info. on it...If I can get around to renting it this week then I'll watch it and post what I think about it.

(that's if I can get passed my $30 late fee charges ha!)

I'm def. going to look into

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bscale
Alfred Hitch cock 's Psycho

Black and white film has stabbing horror and looked so cold..

Oh my I can't believe I almost forgot about Hitch cock...he's greatt!!

What about the birds!

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hitchcock its cool for me, although i don consider him true classic horror. he's more suspense/film noir.

Yesterday i watched Stay by Marc Foster.

Standing in for a sick colleague, renowned New York psychiatrist Sam Foster is confronted with disturbed art student Henry Letham. Seemingly inspired by his idol, a painter infamous for committing suicide on his 21th birthday, Henry announces he will shoot himself Saturday at midnight--the moment he turns 21. Foster, once having saved his suicidal girlfriend Lila, takes the threat seriously but fails to simply have Henry taken into custody. Instead, while trying to track his patient down, Sam is gradually drawn into the world of Henry's obsessions.

It's not classic horror, i know. but it's a pretty cool thriller way better than modern pseudo horror stuff imo

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Haven't seen it yet...

Since I flew off my horse this weekend and a bit sore...I'll probably be hitting up some good movies....

I'm thinking about popping in my Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD right now...I feel like a good laugh.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
MST3K- Warewolf
Have you seen it? One of the funniest episodes I've ever seen. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

My horror fetish is Zombies. The entire Dead trilogy is amazing, as well as the bastard stepchild of the series 'Zombie'. Peter JAckson's Dead Alive also has a place in my heart. I think it was the riding mower scene that did it.

I think I have an attraction to the Friday the 13th series as well just because I view Jason as a big dopey Zombie with a hockey mask. I love that series because it is so absurd that it's about 2 steps from comedy. I've been making DVDs from my divx files, and re organizing the chapters so that each one begins at a different death scene. For example, one chapter in Part 4 (I think chapter 10) Is titled "Why the Hell are you going into the Basement when you know damn well Jason is down there"

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My Fav Horror Films?

Friday the 13th Series! I love Jason Vorhees! Man, he is the best when Kane Hodder plays as him. I love all the little trivia, like Jason wasn't the killer in #1 and so forth.

Elm Stree Series. Freddy Baby! And who was one of his first victims? Johnny Depp!!!!! that's right! Johnny, multi-millionaire, Pirates of the Carribean God, Depp was one of his first victims.

But scariest?

Wizard of Oz. Tornado takes your house, flying monkeys, evil witch. How much worse can it get?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spades
My Fav Horror Films?

Friday the 13th Series! I love Jason Vorhees! Man, he is the best when Kane Hodder plays as him. I love all the little trivia, like Jason wasn't the killer in #1 and so forth.

Elm Stree Series. Freddy Baby! ... (snip)

I like the "Elm Street" movies better then the "Friday the 13th" series, but both of them are cool because they have an imaginatively-designed monster that remains consistent through their respective series. Both Freddy and Jason can, I think, rightfully take their place alongside Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, and the Wolfman as classic cinematic monsters. Kudos go not only to their designers, but also to the actors who brought life and soul to these fictional creations.

These characters are so well-defined and so familiar to the general moviegoing audience that hopefully, we'll continue to see them, interpreted and reinterpreted by different actors and directors, for years to come.

But scariest?

Wizard of Oz. Tornado takes your house, flying monkeys, evil witch. How much worse can it get?

100% correct! Those damn flying monkeys were the scariest thing I saw for about the first 11 years of my life.
I'm 49 years old now, and they still give me the willies!

Baack

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hellraiser 1+2 scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. There was something about hooks grabbing flesh and tearing it from bone that just freaks me out. Plus the Centabytes have to be the coolest villains ever.

I've always loved horror. The first movie that I remember seeing in the theater was a double feature of Aliens/The Fly. I was 4 and had an awesome time.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Speaking of good horror, have any of y'all caught any of the "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" shows on TNT? It's a short-run anthology series based on the Stephen King book of the same name.

I recently saw their adaptation of the King tale "Crouch End." It took a few minor liberties with King's original story, but was otherwise pretty well done, with a nicely creepy, claustrophobic cinematography style that kept the tension high without having to show a lot of monsters. There's lots of name-dropping from the Cthulhu Mythos, and when the (inevitable) CGI monster finally makes an appearance, it's appropriately Lovecraftian in concept and design -- sufficient to bring the episode to a satisfyingly nasty end.

Based on what I've seen, I'd recommend the show to anyone who enjoys the fiction of Stephen King or PG-13-style horror in general. For those of you who have Comcast cable, you can catch four or five different episodes anytime you like on their "On Demand" channel; just click through On Demand > TV Entertainment > TNT > Nightmares. Check it out!

Baack

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I've seen many of Steven King's films!!
My mom was a big fan of the books and my dad was a big fan of the movies...

Geezzz Salem's Lot!!
Sliver Bullet
Maximum Overdrive hahaha hilarious
OMG the Running Man is one of my favorites!
Children of the Corn!!
There are soo many
Carrie!! I saw Carrie 2 this weekend lol the end is the only good part.

And I read Pet Cemetery when I was 11

That is a scary movie......I was scared #less when I saw that..
I think I was maybe 7 years old or so...

Exorcist I thought was probably one of the most frightening movies I saw when I was younger as well.....I mean the crucifix and when she crawled down the stairs backwards!! gooodamnnn! Just the thought that it was based on a true story was scary too...
hehe that was the 1st date my dad brought my mom on too hahaha...

Another movie that scared me was....Fire in the sky!! I know it is not horror but I was scared after I watched that

But! What gave me nightmares at a young age were any scary movies about dolls...
My brothers and dad just loved scary movies and I can remember watching them from the time I could look at a TV and understand what I am seeing...

I hate dolls always have an always will...

Anyone a fan of the Alien series?? They are really good!!
And also... I think I mention the Evil Dead series too.....

But who here is a big fan of Stanley Kubrick??
I absolutely love him RIP....He was great...
Clockwork Orange is one of my all time Favorite movies
And The Shinning is such a good movie too.
Full Metal Jacket!
2001 Space Odyssey!!

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Aliens is the first movie i ever saw in the theater when I was 4 or 5. Double feature with the Fly. I didn't really like part 3, and resurection was more on the Sci-Fi side rather than the monster movie horror kick that the first two were on. Alien and Aliens were amazing movies.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I forgot to mention

Did anyone see the Masters of Horror program they had on Showtime??

I have On Demand and I stayed up all night watching almost all of them...

But I didn't get to see every short movie...

From the ones that I saw The Nuclear Holocaust one and the the one with the couple that turned their son in a flesh eating demon to bring him back to life...
Were my two favorite.....I like the love/horror stories.....

The Lesbian one with the bugs was alright....
But well I hate most insects and it was just alright anyway.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by Tetraspace]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join