It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classic Horror

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Aliens is the first movie i ever saw in the theater when I was 4 or 5. Double feature with the Fly. I didn't really like part 3, and resurection was more on the Sci-Fi side rather than the monster movie horror kick that the first two were on. Alien and Aliens were amazing movies.

I agree Alien and Aliens were amazing movies...

But I have to admit I did like Resurection a lot.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I was just watching Resurection on Saturday. It was on Univision, and I could't understand what anyone was saying, but I'd seen it so many times it didn't matter. I liked it, but it was still more sci-fi than horror.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Great thread Tetraspace

I would like to include Polanski in this discussion. I thought Rosemary's baby was a near perfect horror film. But The Tenant (Le Locataire) is his best. One of my favourites - the pacing, the tension, the weirdness, all brilliantly captured. They certainly don't make film like that anymore.

Wicker man was also spooky as all hell. Really creepy and disturbing and the end of course is painful (but brilliant). Love Christopher Lee and his weird eyebrows.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I saw The Wickerman a few weeks ago. Very good movie. The end was disturbing I felt.

I've heard that Italian horror has some good ones out there, just haven't seen any except for a few minutes of Susprisia (When seen at age nine isn't a good thing)

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Nice thread.

Lots of suggestions in here that I'll have to check out.

As to the O.P., yes, Lynch is a genius.

Personally, when it comes to modern films, I've always been more of a fan of "psychological" horror flicks.

Lately I've developed an affinity for Asian horror films (as I've been less than impressed with their American remakes such as The Ring and Dark Water) because they tend to emphasize the psychological aspects.

Recently, I've rented Audition (aka Odishon).

Highly disturbing, I loved it!

It lulls you into comfort (almost boredom) with the first 3/4 being part dark comedy, part satirical love story, and part biting societal critique. Then ends in a freakishly gory crescendo durring the final 1/2 hour.

Due to this freakishly terrifying ending, it holds the honor of having had the most audience "walk-outs" of all time during its premiere.

Definately not for the faint of heart.

Another I would recommend is Old Boy.

It's not quite "horror", but definately psychological/drama/action.......hmmmm tough to describe.

I guess I'd have to say it's a Tarantino 'esque psychological thriller.

Then of course there's John Waters' early films.

Sure, they say that Desperate Living and Pink Flamingos are "Comedy / Crime" but if those films are not horror.... nothing is.

Come on, the ratings say it all.

Desperate Living: UK (Banned)!

Pink Flamingos: Australia (Banned), Canada (Banned), Norway (Banned)!

They're absolutely terrifying.

Do not rent these two films, I repeat, Do not rent these two films.

You will see things that you never, ever, wanted to see, and they may "scar you for life".

Stick with Audition and Old Boy, they're disturbing enough.

Edit: P.S. Due to OldBoy being more of a thriller, turning on the "voice over" isn't so bad, but, with Audition I'd recommend using only the subtitles.

[edit on 7/31/06 by redmage]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Old Boy was very good. Very good psycological film. Now that ending I don't know how anyone can see that until a few seconds before it gits you.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm going to say 'Last House on the Left' was a damn good film. It was Wes Cravens first film and was banned until a few years ago.

Full of blood gore and general depravity lol.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Old Boy was very good. Very good psycological film. Now that ending I don't know how anyone can see that until a few seconds before it gits you.

I'd agree.

There is talk of an American remake "in the works" but I don't see how they could pull it off without changing the ending.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was fairly bored with Last House on The Left. Sure it was bloody and violent, but not very scary. Don't get me wrong, I love Craven, but LHOTL didn't cut it for me.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Great Thread Tetraspace. I gave you a WATS!!!!

My uncle had a old projector he used get out on special occasions when I was very young, so grew up on really early British "Hammer" horror with the cool Chris Lee and Peter Cushing, Now that was scary being about 6 years old.

I loved the Evil Dead trilogy, i saw the first one when I was about 11, I thought it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen.

I think "Aliens" and J. Carpenters "The Thing" are awesome classic scifi horror and have them in my collection, how cool of a hero is Ripley (I named my dog after her) !!!

I do like Japanese horror, as my brother is crazy about the stuff and gets films sent regulary from japan, but I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, but I did enjoy the Ring the first time I saw it.

Does any one out there enjoy comedy-horror, My favorites being Sean of the dead, Dog Soliders and American werewolf in London, if you havent seen any of these movies then i recommend them.
One of my favorite lines from Dog Soliders is towards the end of the movie when one of the soliders runs out of ammo and all hes got is a kitchen knife, this HUGE werewolf starts attacking and the solider knows hes dead so shouts at the creature "I hope I give you the s**ts!!!!" made laugh for ages!!!

And the most reccent horror Ive seen that I thought was ok was the Decent, a very unique film, very clostraphobic (spelling??)!!!!!
edit for spelling

[edit on 2-8-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As Comedy-Horrors go, Sean of the dead is great, along with Return of the Living Dead parts 1 and 2.

I'm not sure if part 1 counts as comedy, but I crack up laughing at something different every time I see it.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Dracula has risen from the grave has to be the best horror film ever.
In today's era I'd have to say Takeshi Miike is the king.

He showed it in masters of horror.

does Bubba Hotep count as a horror...damn flinking funny I thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I thought the decent was pretty good. Unique as all the characters are women.
And you are right, it was very clausterphobic with all those caves.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
Great Thread Tetraspace. I gave you a WATS!!!!

It is a great thread, and it's a great idea to give Tetraspace a WATS. I just did also.

My uncle had a old projector he used get out on special occasions when I was very young, so grew up on really early British "Hammer" horror with the cool Chris Lee and Peter Cushing, Now that was scary being about 6 years old.

You don't have to be six years old to find them scary! They're just so damn cool -- atmospheric and moody, with great production values, writing, direction, and acting. It may be heresy to say so, but I think they might hold up even better than the original Universal Studios horror films from the 1930s and 1940s.

Does any one out there enjoy comedy-horror, My favorites being Sean of the dead, Dog Soliders and American werewolf in London, if you havent seen any of these movies then i recommend them.

Comedy-horror is a tricky genre, because both aspects are so very subjective. Your above-mentioned titles are all worthy, but I would recommend Joe Dante's The Howling as a superior specimen of the breed. On the face of it, it's a way-cool werewolf movie, with excellent transformation special effects. Just slightly under the surface, though, is a totally hilarious sendup of werewolf lore in particular, and horror stories in general. There's a slew of sight gags and verbal japes, both subtle and gross, that require some knowledge of the genre and a bit of attention paid to the screen. Really funny, and really scary stuff. (I'd also recommend Dante's Gremlins 2, a rather overlooked, but superior, sequel to the original hit.) And let's not forget Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein, and The Ghost Breakers with Bob Hope -- both hold up well even today in the scares and laughs departments.

Baack

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Thanks for agreeing with me Baack, Tetraspace deserves a few wats for this thread, its really cool!!!
I forgot about the howling, I really enjoyed that film and I havent seen it in a long time, I will have to go digging through boxes of videos to see if I can find it now!!

I've got a bit bored to be honest with recent horror as most tend follow the same formats, the same gore and the same jump out and get you bits, we need some new blood so to speak, I find myself sticking to my old favorites!!! lol

Christopher Lee as Dracula really did scare me as a child, it was those blood shot eyes, they seem to jump out of the screen at me. I catch any replays on British TV when I can and still enjoy that evil blood shot stare.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Best horror movies for me were Evil Speak, The Omen, Rats, The Fog, Dracula Series, All the Hammer House of Hhorror Series. The Shinin, Watched Evil Speak when I was 15, ad nightmares for weeks after it veri scarey.

Antone watch Emily Rose? Scarey or funny could not make up my mind on that film.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The first Omen film was incredibly scary at the time of release (but then I was young when it was released on video), I havent seen the remake yet, does any one know if its any good!!!

[edit on 4-8-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
anyone seen "society"?
A Brian Yuzna Classic.

Then there's They Live, another intelligent movie starring rowdy roddy piper. The world greatest wrestler/actor.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
They Live is a great movie.

I saw the remake of The Omen. I never saw the original so I can't compare, but I went in with low expectations regardless since I'm wary of remakes. I felt the movie was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but good.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
For me, it'd have to be The Shining (original with jack nicholsen)...oh man, was that scary when i first saw it when i was younger. Others would have to be Night of the living dead (original), IT, The thing was just awesome, and many others...

haha just for laughs, anybody remember the Puppet Master and Pumpkin Head movies? hahaha i used to watch those all the time with my neighborhood friends on Halloween

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join