It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great subliminal advertising example

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I came across this site after clicking a link in another thread somewhere here on ATS

www.subliminalsex.com...

I think that's a great example of subliminal advertising, and it really makes me interested in finding more examples and what else could be out there

This page on the same site is a must see

www.subliminalsex.com...

Now this makes me want to record TV and slow it down to see what could be there

Has anyone ever done that?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
great find warpboost

It does indeed look like a male phallus.

some of the subliminals from Satellite feeds are strange. Two of them are coupons? I Why would they do that?

Before anyone ask how this is possible, the site speculates...

Flashed subliminal ads were used openly in the fifties, until a public uproar caused the networks to vow never to employ them. They were later prohibited by the FCC. Bullock speculates the Satellite companies might feel the FCC regulations don't apply to them because their broadcasting systems are private.

www.subliminalsex.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In the cigarette ad, there is no hidden penis airbrushed on the woman's back. It is simply lights and subtle shadow. The not so hidden double entendre is in the actual cigarette hard box. One of the middle cigarettes is raised in a not so subtle show of masculinity. The soft pack, hard pack line was in reference to the actually boxes.

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 7/9/2006 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can see how it might look like a hidden penis on her back, but that's just from the lighting. I doubt they airbrushed her back to look like a penis.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
his hand is still in an awkward position, the thumb isnt even touching her back, like it would normally

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I do believe it's airbrushed to look like a penis. Check out the lights in the background on the right side...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I do believe it's airbrushed to look like a penis. Check out the lights in the background on the right side...

i have seen the ad before and have been pointed out to the fact that there is a "phallus" on the womans back but i have never noticed the candles. thats good spotting by you

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There is nothing airbrushed on the woman's back. It is simply a subtle shadow. Besides, what purpose would it serve? This particular ad is aimed at an affluent male demographic. The message is buy our cigs and you'll have hot babes crawling all over you. Or more simply put, cigarettes + rich guy = throphy girl. There is no room for cigarettes + rich guy touching a phallus = any kind of girl.

The only less than subtle imagery, is that of the hard pack of cigarettes with a raised stick.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Besides, what purpose would it serve?

That's the whole purpose of 'subliminal' advertising. You're not really supposed to see it consciously. But your subconscious mind registers it and triggers a feeling of sexual pleasure. Yes, the woman is all over him. That's the conscious message, but the subconscious message is pure sexual pleasure.

And did you miss the lights in the background?

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think about it like this. Why wouldnt there be something very subtle or almost invisible on the womans back, or in the lights? It could easily be denied, I mean its just a shadow afterall.

The tobacco industry is big business, and will do whatever they can for an advantage. Think about the ad designer showing the benson & hedges marketing execs the ad and hidden messages. I bet they would go for it knowingly if they thought it gave them an advantage even a tiny one. You're talking about guys who would probably get their mom smoking if it meant more profits

[edit on 21-7-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
As a person who's been in marketing and advertising for nearly 15 years, as an art director, I am absolutely convinenced that the only subliminally suggestive image in that ad is within the hard pack of cigarettes. There is no airbrushing of a penis on her back. It is all set lighting, I've directed enough photo shoots to know.

Also, the lights on the chandelier appear that way because of a photographic technique referred to as depth of field. The effect is acheived through an intense focus of your subject on the foreground, causing everything out of the focused range to have a soft, blurred appearance.

I know there are ads floating around out there overloaded with sexual innuendo. While this ad does contain sexual references, the airbrused back and orgy chandelier are not part of it. You can look at just about any ad or photograph long enough and see things that weren't intentional. It is akin to seeing angels, demons and faces in clouds of smoke.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Is that Tony Danza holding an airbrushed member? Yep, I think it is.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
they almost placed the two zeros where the mans testes would b, maybe a little high but after giving her a little back massage im sure the zeros would drop back into place. im just goofing , peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Any kind of imagery which our brain relates to sex, for example an erect penis, will cause sexual excitement. This in turn wil cause an unconscious yearning for the product displaying the penis.
Men, possibly moreso than women, are extremely attentive toward anything sexual, and as the ad is aimed at men we get the sexual innuendo.

A beautiful woman draws our eye, we look over her and our eyes take in the sight of the penis without even realising it. We become inexplicably aroused and think "Hmmm, maybe I should start smoking"

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
Any kind of imagery which our brain relates to sex, for example an erect penis, will cause sexual excitement. This in turn wil cause an unconscious yearning for the product displaying the penis.
Men, possibly moreso than women, are extremely attentive toward anything sexual, and as the ad is aimed at men we get the sexual innuendo.

A beautiful woman draws our eye, we look over her and our eyes take in the sight of the penis without even realising it. We become inexplicably aroused and think "Hmmm, maybe I should start smoking"

And all this time I thought you were supposed to smoke AFTER you got the woman

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Any kind of imagery which our brain relates to sex, for example an erect penis, will cause sexual excitement.

I am a man. The sight of another man's inflamed weewee does not excite me. Therefore I dispute your statement; can you supply scientifically credible proof of it?

This in turn will cause an unconscious yearning for the product displaying the penis.

This contention does not obviously follow from the earlier statement. Is it just naive Freudian speculation on your part, or can you supply scientifically credible proof of it?

Subliminal advertising is a nonexistent bogey. Still, it's nice to see that my former line of work retains its aura of evil glamour. The true relationship between advertising and sex doesn't appear in the media; it is best appreciated towards the end of a campaign launch party, when the egos-on-sticks have got themselves nice and squiffy.

Dae

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I am a man. The sight of another man's inflamed weewee does not excite me. Therefore I dispute your statement; can you supply scientifically credible proof of it?

Ill have a search later but Im sure I read that the male connects with the phallus and the female connects with the vulva. Yes, doesnt sound right but it is and make sense, why would a man connect with the vulva with sexual excitement, when he gets his excitement from the phallus? Advertisers know much more about us than we do. Not many men will be happy to know that the erect phallus is aimed at them and not women and vice versa of course.

The idea of course isnt that it is another mans' weewee, it is yours, at least in your head

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Dae has it right.

We aren't arroused because its a penis, we are aroused because it represents sexual pleasure. We, as men, know that the penis brings sexual pleasure and so seeing one makes us think of our penis and seeing an erect one makes you think of the pleasure you get form sex.

Assuming you get pleasure from it

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Dae has it right.

We aren't arroused because its a penis...

I'm sorry, Jack, but your post and Dae's are simply repetitions of what was stated before. I'm still waiting for you to substantiate those statements.

In the meantime, here's some stuff for you to mull over.

1. The whole hoohah about subliminal advertising is based on a fraud.

2. Studies attempting to find a link between 'subconscious perception' and behaviour have repeatedly drawn a blank.

3. The advertising industry viewpoint is offered here

"Nobody bothers with subliminal advertising because it's hard enough to impress people by hitting them upside the head with images."

But then, they would say that, wouldn't they?

4. More grist to your mill can be found here and here.

Happy reading!

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Astyanax thanks for the Snopes link.

Even if the subliminal message is based on a fraud and still isn’t proven to work, many advertisers seems to think it's real and have used it or are still using it.

Radio and television stations began airing subliminal commercials, leading to two congressional bills to ban the practice being introduced in 1958 and 1959 (both of which died before being voted upon). In 1973, Dr. Wilson B. Key picked up where Vicary left off, publishing Subliminal Seduction, an indictment of modern advertisements filled with hidden messages and secret symbols -- messages and symbols that only Dr. Key could discern (including the notorious example of the word "S-E-X" spelled out in the ice cubes pictured in a liquor advertisement). The old "subliminal advertising" controversy was stirred up again by Dr. Key's book, leading to the 24 January 1974 announcement by the FCC that subliminal techniques, "whether effective or not," were "contrary to the public interest," and that any station employing them risked losing its broadcast license.

Source: www.snopes.com...

Also why are all these people still using subliminal messages? (link from OP)

[edit on 24/8/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join