It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plot to bomb NY Tunnel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
A plot to blow up New York's Holland Tunnel was uncovered by the FBI. If the suspects involved were to succeed they could of possibly sent serious flood waters through lower Manhattan. Even though it was in the early planning stages suspects are being gathered up as of this writing.

news.yahoo.com
It said New York officials, according to sources, believed the plan could conceivably work with enough explosives placed in the middle of the tunnel.

But it added that some experts did not consider the plan feasible because the tunnel was protected by concrete and cast-iron steel and that even if the tunnel cracked, the Wall Street district would not flood because it was above the level of the river.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The more I read about potential bombings, the more I think that our attention is trying to be drawn away from other events. Like what really happened on 9/11.

[edit on 7/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I am sorry but I am really jaded by now...is this for real or is it simply a red flag fear tactic because republicans are tanking in the polls going into the mid-terms?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
For the past 20-25 years we have been stopping terrorist attacks.
I can't recall any of these stops ever helping any politician or political party out significantly enough to be used as a "tactic."

The more I read about potential bombings, the more I think that our attention is trying to be drawn away from other events. Like what really happened on 9/11.

lol
So all the people who have been conducting or trying to conduct terrorists acts have all changed their minds and are now our friends and have decided they don't want to attack us any more? Is that because our policies are now more in their favor?
Seriously though, name one person who's "distracted" by news like this? Most people who hear it go "eh" then continue doing whatever they were doing.

The more I read about potential bombings, the more I see how much of a change one event cause. If you knew the number of personnel our intel agencies had before 9/11 and knew how much lack of sharing between the agencies there was compared to now, you'd cry....
Stuff like this would have been caught (if they caught it) just before the carrying out, not in the planning stages.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Simply put,

I dont believe it. Every day it could be said we are stopping something. It looks good and keeps the terror level up.
Just more strategies from the Command Center.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It wouldn't work.

1. The tunnel is in the bedrock below the Hudson, you'd need trucks full of explosives just to fracture it.
2. The tunnel leads to a point close to the Hudson, if it did go against the laws of physics and flood the water would just spill back into the Hudson.
3. Lower Manhattan is above sea level.

An utterly pointless and useless plot.

Kids these days...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I find it funny that it is always in its very early stages that they break up the plot. Why don't they wait a bit longer when they have the explosives and such? More evidence that they were actually going to do it.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Why don't they wait a bit longer when they have the explosives and such? More evidence that they were actually going to do it.

Think about it. Would you really want to wait until they had them? What if they slipped thru a crack at that point and hide out?

I know I certainly would not even consider letting them get that far simply because they could end up killing people if they had them and managed to get away.:shk:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
US says foreign-based plot to bomb New York foiled

They said the plot was still in the planning stage and that those involved had not done any reconnaissance or obtained weapons. An FBI official said none of the suspects had ever been in the United States

Doesn't sound as though this plot was very developed.

The newspaper said the intent was to flood the Wall Street financial district, but experts said such a blast would not have flooded areas above the water level. Wall Street is some two miles from the tunnel, which is dug under bedrock and reinforced with concrete and steel.

It also doesn't appear to have been very well thought out.

The plot was uncovered by monitoring Internet chat rooms,

Am I the only person disturbed by how this plot came to be discovered?

[edit on 7/7/06 by Implosion]

df1

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
I can't recall any of these stops ever helping any politician or political party out significantly enough to be used as a "tactic."

These types things are not tactics intended to further a candidate or a political party, these tactics of fear are for the purpose of making authoritarian government intrusion into the lives of us citizens acceptable to john q public. Discussing this stuff in a partisan manner is exactly what those in power want to occur. For example, democrats love to lambaste bush for the "patriot act", but the fact is most democrats voted for it and they didnt read it either.

What voters of both parties forget is that when the democrats come to power again they will not repeal the "patriot act", instead they will use this expanded government power to counter issues that republicans support. Of course when that happens the republican political base will be whining about governnment intrustion like the democrats are today.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A part of me says it could be true- and this was really thwarted. But the best and more intelligent part of me questions everything i hear and cant bring myself to believe anything anymore.

Who's fault is it?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think it's some form of propaganda to push their agenda, to justify the wire-tapping of internet and all sorts of communications. If they are reading forums and IRC, were are we going?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Hear is another link with some information to the continueing investagation and on going story.

www.indystar.com.../20060708/NEWS06/607080435/-1/ZONES04

Its interesting as it aparently took place in a chat room.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
What voters of both parties forget is that when the democrats come to power again they will not repeal the "patriot act", instead they will use this expanded government power to counter issues that republicans support. Of course when that happens the republican political base will be whining about governnment intrustion like the democrats are today.

Excellent point, df1.
If only we could make the two parties work for the good of the people...

But they are too pre-occupied with re-election. Who votes for these fools anyway?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
US says foreign-based plot to bomb New York foiled

i had a nagging feeling that something seemed odd...
and i found it explained in the above link from Implosion

it said in one paragraph: (about the NYC tunnel plot...2nd page of article)

It was the second recent domestic threat authorities have said they broke up
in the early stages, following the arrest of seven people last month on the
suspicion of a plan to attack Sears Tower in Chicago.
One official described that plot as being 'more aspirational than operational'.

(click the link posted by Implosion in above 'quote box')

This plot was also...."more aspirational than operational" [or practical ! ]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I wonder why they mention trains at the Holland Tunnel? That tunnel as far as I knew was for Cars,Trucks and Buses only. I was under the impression that the Path tunnel leaving from WTC was direct from the WTC and a seperate tunnel? Anyone know for sure if the Holland Tunnel also serves PATH trains in a different tube? Sorry but something smells foul..probably a group of kids in a arab chat room making threats.

Pie

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
What a complete pile of doo doo!!

Next they,ll be telling you that they found a plot to plant bombs inside clouds to make the sky fall on your head..

Last I heard water doesnt go UPHILL!!!

What,s the betting that the next election will be called off due to a state of emergency??
Natural disaster..read HAARP
Massive ''terror''attack or
War with someone... anyone..doesn,t really matter

I,m giving odds of 100-99
1p stake maximum tho

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
AGENT_T
Thats on the money !!
and funny as hell !!
Maybe the stupid ass terrorists forgot about basic physics !
NYC is above sea level !!!!

But...

IF they did follow through it would obviously cause problems, but it wouldnt flood
the streets, it would probably flood the basements, sewage tunnels and electrical
conduits.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Maybe they arrested them for just being PLAIN STOOOOOPID!!..

But if that,s the new rule...

Hmmm ''fool me once...errrr'' etc..

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of these "plots" discovered between now and November. America will be "encouraged" to be afraid. Afer all, isn't that what terrorism is all about? Controlling the masses through the use of fear and hysteria!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
/agree with the "october-surprise"-esque posters here.

The other problem with these announced and/or foiled plots is that it has the infamous effect also found in the moral behind the story of Peter and the Wolf.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join