It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plot to bomb NY Tunnel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
What a complete pile of doo doo!!

I,m giving odds of 100-99
1p stake maximum tho

Yeah, what have you got to back that up? Anything? I didn't think so.

I, for one, am very glad that they are busting these fools. Even if it's only crazies chatting in some room.

You'll be glad, too, when they save your butt.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I say just act extremely suprised everyone. Think of it like this, if they were plotted by the government act afraid. Why? because they think this stuff is going to work on you. Just make them happy so they don't take it a step further.
There really isn't any REAL reason to be afraid of these guys, but just act afraid, we don't want to make those politicians angry they can't scare us anymore.

BTW am I the only person who thinks its "odd" that these guys were arrested for talking?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
BTW am I the only person who thinks its "odd" that these guys were arrested for talking?

Originally posted by St Udio

One official described that plot as being 'more aspirational than operational'.

This plot was also...."more aspirational than operational" [or practical ! ]

Looks to me like arrest for thoughtcrime. These people had never even set foot in the US. Fair enough if there was proof of a workable plan, but this? This does not seem like a workable plan. Also the fact that they were caught through talking on the Internet. Seems to me as if it could precede calls for tighter regulation on the Internet we all use and love. Of course, maybe I have just become too cynical.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
this is from an article on alternet.net.

One former intelligence field officer says, and two other CIA officials confirm, that the alleged plot by Muslim extremists to bomb the Holland Tunnel in New York City was nothing more than chatter by unaffiliated individuals with no financing or training in an open forum already monitored extensively by the United States Government, Raw Story has learned.

"The so-called New York tunnel plot was a result of discussions held on an open Jihadi web site," said Philip Giraldi, a former CIA officer and contributor to American Conservative magazine, in a late Friday afternoon conversation. Although Giraldi acknowledges that the persons involved -- "three of whom have already been arrested in Lebanon and elsewhere -- are indeed extremists," their online chatter is considerably overblown by allegations of an actual plot.

"They are not professionally trained terrorists, however, and had no resources with which to carry out the operation they discussed," Giraldi added. "Despite press reports that they had asked Abu Musab Zarqawi for assistance, there is no information to confirm that. It is known that the members discussed the possibility of approaching Zarqawi but none of them knew him or had any access to him."

Kinda what i thought from the beginning more crying wolf.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Iconoclast
I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of these "plots" discovered between now and November. America will be "encouraged" to be afraid. After all, isn't that what terrorism is all about? Controlling the masses through the use of fear and hysteria!

So in your opinion, are foreign terrorists still actively plotting attacks against the U.S. and it's allies?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
in my opinion the government is going to keep saying that htey are until republicans are safely re-elected to congress in november. as for the actual terrorists.....who knows?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Blame Canada ... Apparently they had canadian passport..... Blame canada

im Canadian myself and all this makes me laugh big time the CN tower plot and the planning of assasination of Stephen Harper who is litteraly distributing candy since he got elected, i think american mainstream media spoke more of this than canadian. Sears tower plot that is misteriously own by Larry Silverstein and now that. So we must be scared by all this. the answer is, i'm more scare by the political organisation and lobbeist rulling america rather than those so called terrorist.

Blame canada, we are america's problem lol or maybe america is the problem :?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

So in your opinion, are foreign terrorists still actively plotting attacks against the U.S. and it's allies?

I do believe that foreign terrorists are plotting against the U.S. and its allies, but I also believe that the terrorist organizations are smart enough to keep their plans secret and not announce them on chat boards. Any planning will be done in compartmentalized seclusion so as not to expose the rest of the cell or organization should the planning be discovered.

I think that the Bush admin will continue to make sure we are reminded how fearful we should be when we consider the up coming elections. I think half hatched plans like this, and the Canadian plot, will continue to surface and be big news in the media, causing much civil unrest. Unfortunately the media will fail to follow the details with the commitment required to get to the truth, which is there is no significant threat. These "plots" will be nothing more than rampant speculation, with no serious evidence. But they will be exploited for as much political gain as possible.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Stupid terrorist organizations can be just as dangerous as smart terrorist organizations. I am glad this stupid group got stopped before they even got really going.

While I grant there will be some political mileage made out of this and any terror act stopped, the end result is that this particular threat has been averted and resources can now be put on other possible threats. It's not as if al-Qaeda is above using stupid foot soldiers to maybe divert attention from something else. They are probing for soft spots and we have the unenviable task of treating all attempts as a potential threat. We can't pick and choose which ones we will investigate, all leads must be followed up on.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I agree, any serious attack sure wouldn't be talked about in an internet chat room in Lebanon.

This was just some idiots who weren't affiliated with terrorists that found each other on a chat room, talked about how evil America is, and then said "lets go jihad" to teach them a lesson. Maybe they drew up some crude plans but that is probably how far they would have got in the decade.

The fact that it even gets mentioned on the news is pathetic. It makes us look bad considering how primitive the planning and logistics were. Im concerned that the only terrorist arrests we seemed to have thwarted have been amateurs planning amateur attacks. Im concerned about the individuals who are alot more secretive, organized, and smarter. I have not seen any attack thwarted that had any common sense, planning, or organization to any respectable degree.

I'm not happy that the government also has decided to start illegal comprehensive domestic eavesdropping programs. This particular chat room was located in Lebanon but I don't beleive for a second that US chatrooms aren't eavesdropped in on the same way.

The US government IS evil, only because they infringe our rights, privacy, their limited constitutionally granted powers, and taxes not enumerated with the census. But the Muslim terrorists and foreign countries in general are alot MORE EVIL. Im glad they found these people. To the NSA, the CIA, The FBI, the BATFE, please lay off on the eavesdropping on Americans and unconstitutional laws. Recognize that your powers are limited only to international affairs and interstate commerce. You are not the domestic terrorism enforcement agency, you are not the internet guardians, you are not the telephone guardians, you have no power to say what Americans can and cannot arm themselves with. You are not the militia. We aren't supposed to have a centralized Military. Federal power is limited. You cannot legislate or enforce half the laws that you do. Those are State's rights. Bring back the militia like we are supposed to have. Let each State decide what security and domestic laws they want.

Domestic eavesdropping pisses me off. DNA database's, National ID cards, RFID, GPS tracking, fingerprint database's, wiretaps, pentraps, video and audio surveilance, and warrantless searches makes me want to goto war with my own country.

Sorry if this was off topic. I hope these guys rot in hell for picking the wrong side and the wrong ideal to goto war for.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by ImplementOfWar]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
Im more concerned about the individuals who are alot more secretive, organized, and smarter. I have not seen any attack thwarted that had any common sense, planning, or organization to any respectable degree.

I agree that the smart terrorist bear much more watching. However you have to follow up on all the stupid ones too.

And on any really advanced terrorist plots that involve intelligence gathering means that might prove useful in stopping other plots, I don't think we will ever hear of any successes as that will eliminate that form of intelligence gathering from working in the future.

I would bet good money that some plots have been prevented but we don't talk about them for fear of the terrorist's catching onto how we found out about it. Imagine if somehow we managed to plant a mole high up in al-Qaeda or managed to tap into some communication mechanisim, do you think we would ever hear about it until we milked it for all it's worth?

On the flip side talking about easy surveillance of stupid "jihadis" will probably make them think twice about bragging and planning things out in the open. You got to admit those are some stupid terrorist wannabees, who deserve to be caught. Maybe this will prevent those "arm chair terrorists".

Sorry if this was off topic.

Big Breath, just a LITTLE off topic, no biggie. If you don't blow off steam, eventually you explode. You caught yourself in time.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

key element in Hammoud's arrest was an "Al Qaeda field lieutenant" being tracked by Danish security officials, Gerges said. The Al Qaeda agent asked Hammoud to help set up apartments for jihadis and to help recruit, raise money and buy weapons for Al Qaeda, the Lebanese Security Forces said in a statement.

If this info turns out to be accurate, then this plot was not just some yahoos goofing around on the internet. Like I said, just cause your a stupid terrorist doesn't mean that they shouldn't be followed up on. You never know what info on plots is going to pan out and we can't afford to not investigate all leads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join