It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft UN Resolution Demands Israel Halt Its Gaza Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Qatar, on behalf of the Arab states, has authored a draft UN resolution demanding Israel halt its military attack on the civilians of Gaza. The resolution also demands that Israel immediately release the democratically elected government of the Palestinian territories. The United States ambassador to the UN dismissed the resolution out of hand and France has signalled its reluctance to support it as it stands, offering to amend it.

ne ws.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS - Acting on behalf of Arab nations, Qatar circulated a draft U.N. Security Council resolution Thursday demanding Israel end its offensive in the Gaza Strip and release the Palestinian officials it has arrested.

The draft faced immediate opposition from the United States and France, which called it unbalanced in its criticism of Israel. The document does not condemn the kidnapping of an Israeli soldier by Palestinian militants and makes no mention of Palestinian rocket attacks on southern Israel this week.

France's ambassador said he would offer changes, but U.S. Ambassador John Bolton suggested that Washington opposed the resolution entirely.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Chalk up another resolution critical of Israel that the United States will just veto. There is no excuse for the targeting of civilian infrastructure to bring about a humanitarian catastrophe as part of summary punishment for the actions of a group of Palestinians.

That the US Ambassador, and I use the term loosely, would completely reject a resolution calling on Israel to abide by the Geneva Conventions and to stop persecuting civilians is insulting to humanity. Is John Bolton, an avowed Zionist, seriously thinking that people will simply ignore Israel's human rights abuses because the United States will say its OK?

Yep, that's the gist of the story. The United States Ambassador to the UN thinks Israel is allowed to ignore the Geneva Conventions, arrest a democratically elected government and create a humanitarian disaster. Shine ye beacon of light.

[edit on 6/7/06 by subz]

[edit on 8/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 11-7-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Dont be silly. Israel doesnt have to listen to the UN. Neither does the US for that matter. We should know by now that those two countries are completely infallible.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
From what I hear the U.S. has already vetoed it.

I'd really have to read the text of the resolution to decide whether I agree with our veto our not, but how is this different than Russia and China vetoing every resolution against NK and other rogue states?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
From what I hear the U.S. has already vetoed it.

I'd really have to read the text of the resolution to decide whether I agree with our veto our not, but how is this different than Russia and China vetoing every resolution against NK and other rogue states?

It's no different DJ. The veto system of the UN is the single biggest reasons why they are a complete farce during times of crisis.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
It's no different DJ. The veto system of the UN is the single biggest reasons why they are a complete farce during times of crisis.

Can I just say that is the smartest thing I've heard all day, and so true at the same time. Good work on that one. The UN need to be gottern rid of, they are toothless in every meaning of the word. Its a tax burden on every country who helps pay for it, and a waste of valuable New York realestate that its building sits on.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
[edit on 13-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The US did veto the resolution saying it was quote "outdated and outmoded" and would "pose a threat to the peace process"

I have to agree we need a new way of working international relations....the Us and every other country need to be bound to a new UN....one without a Permanent security counsel who can singly veto a resolution....if there is veto power there needs to be a way to overturn said veto,.

More to the point we need a more powerful international court to enforce international laws and treaties.

article I quoted is @ Reuters URL Shortened

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The UN is nothing but a front for the countries who's agenda it is to destroy Isreal. They can produce a resolution that condemns Isreal for defending itself, but they cant get their heads out of their a@@'s to do something about North Korea and Iran. Heaven forbide that we might deal with a rogue government in a timely manner.

This whole kidnapping of soldiers was nothing but a ruse used by Iran to give it more time. Iran knew that the UN couldnt handle more than one "crisis" at a time, so they got their lackies to create another one. But thet got more than they bargained for....this time Isreal is not going to be restrained. This time Isreal is going to act...and what they do will not soon be forgotten.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
How is it that when N. Korea fires missles (one even aimed at Hawaii) and Iran is going nuclear right in front of everyones eyes and the UN securtiy council is mum and today there is already something on the table about Israel? Im SO glad the US vetoed it. The US should also have said, we will take issue with this when you guys start getting serious about N. Korea and Iran. It works both ways.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
And the same argument....its always the same argument...we are not anti-israeli, we are not anti-semite...and yet you always use this arguement.

Israel is a violent red headed step child who needs to be reigned in. Instead the leaders of the United States for whatever reason can't help but give Billions of dollars in Aid, Grants, and Weapons to this hostile and destabilizing nation. That is what israel is....it is not a coutnry....it is a rogue state that has the support of the United States, and therefore is exempt from international law as the United States is as well. Israel needs to get back within its borders and quit with this machismo attitude. Isreal needs to be happy that it has its "Mecca" back and it needs to stop instigating confrantation with its neighboors.

It is sad that the United States has once again vetoed something in regards to Israel, bringing the number to about 30 out of 81 vetos.
( Reuters URl Shortened )

Something needs to be done before Isreal further destabilizes the middle east and brings the US and eventually Europe into a broader middle eastern conflict.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
BS. All those terrorists are thugs over there. How is it that for years they have all been crying about Israel occupying land and Israle pulled out of Lebanon, pulled out of gaza and guess what? The terror attacks didnt stop!!! Israel has shown NOTHING but restraint and concessions and this is what they get? More terror? Yeah right...well reap what you so bitches...its all coming down now.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher100
The UN is nothing but a front for the countries who's agenda it is to destroy Isreal. They can produce a resolution that condemns Isreal for defending itself, but they cant get their heads out of their a@@'s to do something about North Korea and Iran. Heaven forbide that we might deal with a rogue government in a timely manner.

Are we talking about the same UN here

Every resolution submitted to the UN that condemns Israel and that is binding is vetoed by the United States or Britain. Where the hell did you pull "they can produce a resolution that condemens Isreal for defending itself" from?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I do not see our intrest being served in the UN during this world war, we do not listen to what the UN has to say, and thy do not listen to us. We should leave, it would be the best thing Bush has done in years.

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the year of the first Balfour Declaration in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
And it would be the perfect irony considering how much his father did for the United Nations. Bush Sr creates and Bush Jr destroys.....we cannot withdrawl from the UN unless we are going to withdrawl from everywhere and become an isolationist nation. Either that or if we leave everyone will leave and then there will be nothing....nothing to protect little states from big states....and chaos will insue. We are too interconnected to not have a United Nations.

The united nations as it is now has been poisned by the Permanent Security Council and thier veto power....with thier being no recourse by smaller yet still important world nations....it essentially mutes the votes of billions of people...

We need UN reform....we need to ensure that gross human rights violators are not allowed to run the Human Rights section of the UN....we need to ensure a great many things btu the UN is essential to furthering of our civilizations beyond what they are today.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher100

Are we talking about the same UN here

Every resolution submitted to the UN that condemns Israel and that is binding is vetoed by the United States or Britain. Where the hell did you pull "they can produce a resolution that condemens Isreal for defending itself" from?

Hmm, I don't remember Israel threatening that they will wipe off Arab nations off the map...

Who did again? Oh yeah, Iran.

Who is supporting Iran and doing the same thing that you accuse the US and UK and France of doing?

Russia and China.

EDIT: And let me add, there was not nearly as much outrage as there is when the US backs Israel. Of course, how could ANYONE expect there to be

[edit on 13-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris

Can I just say that is the smartest thing I've heard all day, and so true at the same time. Good work on that one. The UN need to be gottern rid of, they are toothless in every meaning of the word. Its a tax burden on every country who helps pay for it, and a waste of valuable New York realestate that its building sits on.

Why?
Honestly people rant and rave stupidly about removing the UN just because they wont take PHYSICAL FORCE against states they dont approve of.

Dont mind the AID they give to countries.
Dont mind they are the standing faction for PEACE since WW2
they dont meet our agender,
ABOLISH THEM.
The US and Israel should be able to do as it pleases without this pesky international unity.

FFS

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Hmm, I don't remember Israel threatening that they will wipe off Arab nations off the map...

Please please don't use this line of defense.

"Arabs may have the oil, but Israel has the matches". Ariel Sharon

200+ WMD's aimed at you, is not intended to mean I

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

So lets not go there and make it appear that this is a one-sided hate affair.

I am sorry, Israel announced their desire to destroy all Arabs in the region? I must have missed that.

And nobody is making it seem like it is a one-sided hate affair. What many on here IS making it seem, is that Israel is the one who is wrong for doing what they are doing, when each and every country condemning it would do the same thing. And each person would support their country as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   

when each and every country condemning it would do the same thing.

Which country would that be that is doing any of the protesting is illegally occupying another nation/people that would do the same thing that Israel is doing?
France? Russia? (Chechnya is 19,200Km, I don't remember Russia bombarding them), Norway? The EU? Which of these countries is illegally occupying a country no larger then 28miles long that would do the same thing?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

WRONG!
Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres said the following:

"the president of Iran should remember that Iran can also be wiped off the map."

Jerusalem Post

WRONG AGAIN!
President Ahmadinejad said the following:

"the regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time"

Profesor Juan Cole of Informed Consent

You are just another victim of propaganda, sorry

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join