It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The space shuttle just flew over my house!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It just few over my house again! Seriously.

About 15 minutes ago we all went out to the yard and watched the sky until we saw the space station, followed closely by the shuttle.

It looked like a medium bright star, followed by a little less intense star traveling quickly across the sky, just as the news said it would.

It only took about a minute to go from horizon to horizon, but still, very cool.

I hope someone else out there took a moment to go out an look.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Where are you located aprx.Makeitso?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My grandfather was an electrical engineer on 39A and B. Growing up in Florida we had countless passes to the shuttle launches. I can tell you that the launch was a rush as a kid -- the sound of thunder and the vibration. I can also tell you about the rush when a crocodile or alligator was found in the numerous ditches dotting the viewing areas was found. Sometimes it was more newsworthy than the launch itself. Still, nothing beats getting up at 3AM as a kid to drive to the cape to park, eating donuts before dawn in anticipation of the launch.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by crowpruitt
Where are you located aprx.Makeitso?

Approximately 12 quintillion miles from Alpha Centuri.

In North America.

Between the two mountain ranges.

Between the great lakes and the gulf.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I also saw it last night, on the 19th. I took my daughters out with me and found a spot outside of town that had no obstructions. It was a first to see either for me and even my kids thought it was cool.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
How does anyone know for sure that it's the ISS? I'm not doubting anyone obviously, I'm just curious to know. I'd also like to spot it, but I live in Sweden, so I have no idea at what times it passes here.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think that is very cool, I wish I could have been there with you sipping a good coffee drink and watching the "big shoe"
I bet you will always remember this experience

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
How does anyone know for sure that it's the ISS? I'm not doubting anyone obviously, I'm just curious to know. I'd also like to spot it, but I live in Sweden, so I have no idea at what times it passes here.

Believe me, you'll know it when you see it.

I just saw it for the first time, tonight!! It's definitely worth catching.

And if you can get it in the binoculars, even though it is hard to keep them steady , you can get a sense of 3D as the stars go by in the background.

Here ya go ZikhaN, pick your city.

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Sorry, after checking a few cities, looks like Sweden is 'out of the viewing area' , my friend.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I was outside smoking and watching the sky last week when I saw a bright light quickly move across the night sky fron the northwest to the east southeast. Freaked me a little since I didn't know what it was. Pretty sure I know now. Very cool. Always had heard you could see them just never had before. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Thanks to this and another thread I saw recently, I had my son and his mom out back with me tonight, and we all saw the ISS and SS go by. I thought it was really awesome. We had a pair of binoculars and everybody got a pretty good look. My son wasn't satisfied, so we are going to take a look tomorrow night, too.

My thanks again to ATS and especially those members starting relevant threads and posting links to flyover schedules. I've been sitting out back stargazing a few nights the last week or so, but looking to the west-southwest.

[edit on 22-6-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Your welcome IR!

Thank you (and the other posters) for letting me know that I wasn't the only one out in my yard looking up to see it.

I'm glad other people took a moment out of their busy lives to stop and spend a few quiet (but awe inspiring moments) with their family.

Perhaps one day I may grow old and forget, but I bet my kids won't forget those few special moments anytime soon.

Know what I mean?

[edit on 6/22/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird

Originally posted by ZikhaN

Believe me, you'll know it when you see it.

I just saw it for the first time, tonight!! It's definitely worth catching.

And if you can get it in the binoculars, even though it is hard to keep them steady , you can get a sense of 3D as the stars go by in the background.

Here ya go ZikhaN, pick your city.

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Sorry, after checking a few cities, looks like Sweden is 'out of the viewing area' , my friend.

[edit on 21-6-2007 by Jbird]

Awww crap, I knew it. Sweden always gets left out somehow. Ah well, thanks for your help though.

I guess I'll have to find out myself how to spot it.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes. It was especially galvanizing for my son.

We warmed up by getting the binos dialed in on the moon.

When the ISS showed up, he was right on it. Then he spotted the shuttle while his mom and I were trading looks at the station. He couldn't get enough of it. To be honest, neither can I.

We'll see if it is dark enough at 830pm for a view tonight. If not, there is a second pass at 1005pm. Maybe we will see the SS again too, if there is another weather delay.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Thanks to this and another thread I saw recently, I had my son and his mom out back with me tonight, and we all saw the ISS and SS go by. I thought it was really awesome. We had a pair of binoculars and everybody got a pretty good look. My son wasn't satisfied, so we are going to take a look tomorrow night, too.

I love when that happens.

Just remember, tonights path is only about half as high, and about 20 minutes
later, (in my area) so check your schedules.

US
UK
Canada

Clear Skies-

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hmmm, the most populated places in the UK don't have ISS Sightings.

[edit on 22-6-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Another treat for me and my family just now as we were outside when the shuttle went by for landing at Edwards and we heard the double sonic boom loud and clear!

Awesome!

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wow! You saw it go by? .....Sweet.

Good for you, and your next gen. of space enthusiasts, I R .

I'll be out again with my little one, tonight.

Good luck.

BTW, where did you see the data for an earlier (8:30 ?) flyover, tonight?

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We only heard the double sonic boom. We were outside because we knew the shuttle was landing at Edwards at 1249pm PDT. I thought I could hear a low rumbling for a few momments and then BOOM-boom! It was loud!

The info I quoted came from my city listings starting here

THE FOLLOWING ISS SIGHTINGS ARE POSSIBLE FROM FRI JUN 22 TO WED JUL 04
SATELLITE LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE
DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

ISS Fri Jun 22/08:30 PM 4 17 11 above N 11 above ENE
ISS Fri Jun 22/10:05 PM 1 22 12 above WNW 22 above WSW

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ahh, ok. Still pretty cool.

Just bumpin' this in hopes someone else might catch it in time.

Fri Jun 22/10:02 PM
Only 30 Degree Max. elevation East Coast-ish

Forgot to ask, IR, did you catch anything at 8 30?

[edit on 22-6-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
We were just out there looking, but I think it was too low on the horizon on this pass for us to see it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join