It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of the word weird.

page: 1...

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
www.sunnyway.com...

Even back in Viking times, there was a remarkable understanding of the human psyche. They recognized cause and effect, and the interconnectedness of all things. The word to describe this interconnectedness was "wyrd", which was eventually perverted into the modern meaning of "weird". It did not originally mean something unusual or strange. Rather, it referred to the far-reaching effects of that which one does. The concept of "fate" was also not as we know it now. Instead of a helpless predestination, "fate" meant a destiny created by one's earlier actions. Wyrd was pictured as a web, like that of a spider. The symbology is excellent. When the spider steps onto a thread (a path) the vibrations affect the entire web and that which is contained within the web, just as our actions affect our immediate world and those around us, and the actions of others affect our lives.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by Black Sword]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i love how there is an answer to everything on the web...i was just writing about how weird something was and then i started thinking about how weird the word 'weird' was- as is most of the words in the english language. then it was picking at my head so i had to figure out where it came from. thanks for supplying me with knowledge that i may never actually get to use. ;-)

-Fig

join