It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about new animal species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hello, does anyone know how you go about reporting a new species of animal you may have found? Is there an organization that keeps track of these new species? I'm not exactly sure if there's an official way of reporting this kind of stuff and have tried searching Google. The animal is an insect, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If its an insect then its not an animal. ITs an insect.
Got any pics ? Could help to define if its a new species.
Unless yoour talking about my uncle norm, then he would
be a new species.......ha?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well a picture would really help because perhaps its not new, maybe you just never seen it before

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have searched through field guides on insects an was not able to find a match for this species. Pictures will be up shortly.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Alright here is a sample of some of the pictures; the bee was about the size maybe a little less than a half dollar. A giant compared to the other regular bees in this meadow. It had beautiful indigo colored wings and I could only see two or three others of this type in this meadow though the regular honey and bumble bees were abundant. Location was in a small mountain town in Montenegro, Europe 3000ft above sea level.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Illyrian]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
If its an insect then its not an animal. ITs an insect.

Since when was an insect not an animal?

Here is what it could be. Called 'Genus Megachile' or 'leafcutter bee' and from the Megachilidae family. It's larger than most bees and can grow up to an inch long. It can have the yellow bits underneath which you can't see very well in this pic.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The yellow is a coloring on the bee then? I always thought it was just pollen it was collecting. Anyways thanks a lot for the info and if you could please give me the link to the info, Id like to learn a bit more about it and see if they have spiders classifications available as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illyrian
The yellow is a coloring on the bee then? I always thought it was just pollen it was collecting. Anyways thanks a lot for the info and if you could please give me the link to the info, Id like to learn a bit more about it and see if they have spiders classifications available as well.

You're probably right there although you'll see that this species can vary in its looks if you do a search on leafcutter or Genus Megachile. Here is the site where I got it from. If you scroll down there are all the diffrent categories including spiders.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
it may simply be a genetic mutation, not a new species

the coloration should not be a factor for a bee, the paterns can vary wildly

the wings, no clue on that

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ya its an animal....
my mistake......
animal > insect

sorry bout that.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Couple more pictures of the bee, it was just wierd seeing this giant black bee flying around in the meadow. In fact I heard the bee's loud hum of the wings way before I even saw it, but its nice to finally have an answer.

top topics

join