It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Bush really say the Constitution is just "a goddamned piece of paper."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Did Bush really say the Constitution is just "a goddamned piece of paper."
Certainly bush is a criminal, but I have hard time imagining bush openly saying this…. I have heard from some sources he said this and it’s all over goggle, but sometimes rumors get around and I didn’t see any sources I was familiar with…. Could anyone verify f bush did say this? I haven’t’ seen a video or speech of him saying this.. Although obviously he his messing with the 22nd amendment so he can try and run for president again, and he is breaking he constitution with the patriot act… I am just surprised he would openly see such a thing.. Or likely since I haven’t’ seen any news coverage out, so I wonder if it was either leaked out or misinformation leaked out to distrait people who took the bait by quoting misinformation? Anyone know of any reliable sources?

www.capitolhillblue.com...

Bush: Constitution 'just a goddamn piece of paper'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 9, 2005, 05:51

www.homelandstupidity.us...

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Notice that any source you find echoes and even refers back to the same, original, source. In this case, that would be Doug Thompson of Capitol Hill Blue.

Here is what homelandstupity.us has to say about Mr. Thompson's credibility :

I even hesitated to post this today, because Thompson is frequently an unreliable source of information, but something like this needs to be investigated and verified or refuted. (Such as his claim, in the very same post, that Alberto Gonzales said the Constitution was an outdated document. He actually said the Geneva Convention was outdated. Commentators writing about that statement literally put words in Gonzales’ mouth. And that’s yet another story.)

So I would definitely take it with a large grain of salt. Without more sources or the names of the "three people present for the meeting that day", it's just a rumor, at best.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz eaglewingz

eaglewingz thank you very much for your input. Definitely makes sense.. Obviously president bush has no regard for the constitution but I highly doubt he is actually hat stupid to say such a thing in such a manner so yeah with no other sources as you say I take it with a grain of salt for sure

[edit on 30-6-2006 by PowerToThePeople]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I dont know- If its a lie, its made it around the world and back 10 x. I've heard it on television as well.
It sounds like something our president would say, unfortunatedly. We certainly know, he treats the constitution as papier de toilette. Actions speak louder than words.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I dont know- If its a lie, its made it around the world and back 10 x.

As Winston Churchill said 'a lie can make it around the world before the truth has time to get it's breeches on' or something like that. I know Dubya has his 'Bushisms' but I doubt he'd be stupid enough to say that.
But if it is true everyone will forget about in a month or two.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I've heard it on television

It sounds like something our president would say, unfortunatedly.

Ok, that's one point for you.

Props to Power for doing one of the most difficult things that one can do on a politics board (asking a question) and to Eagle for doing one of the most oft-forgotten things on a politics board (substantiate an answer).

As for Bush's attitude towards the constitution though... I believe it was St. Francis who said "Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary, use words."

Bush preaches offense and injury, if not outright destruction, to our constitution quite frequently, and rarely does he need words.

In all fairness though, he's a victim of his life and times. The man's first experience with democracy was the 1968 Presidential Election. Having that be your first election would really sour you on the whole idea of democracy.

I mean, the guy who had JFK shot had decided not to run because he was so unpopular the McCarthy won the New Hampshire Primary, then RFK tried to run and he got shot, then Wallace jumps in to fight with Humphry, and if you can't hang with all of that cloak and dagger BS, who is your alternative on the Republican side? TRICKY DICK!

I'd hate democracy too if that had been my first election.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well presidents have a tendency to make all kind of comments when around people that they consider friends in personal and close circles.

I would not be surprise if he has made more than one silly comment about his own personal views of what goes on in politics.

That they be serious or not it depends on the person that is close by and listening at the time.

I would no doubt that he has made the comment and many more.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
He was referring to the New York times.

At least, "that seems like something he would say".

If you can't find any sources to that statement, you can go ahead a quote me here.
Right in this thread. Should be good enough.

top topics

join