It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BMPT-2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Has anyone heard anything about the BMPT-2. It is supposedly a new generation vehicle that doesn't fit into any know category of combat vehicles. Supposedly it can fire at 3 targets at once on the battlefield and increases a tank batallion's strength up to 30%.

I am not sure what it is armed with, but here's the kicker; "Russia has a right to have 6,350 tanks and 11,280 armored vehicles on its territory. These terms are acceptable for Russia – they provide the necessary numeral parity with the armed forces of European NATO members. In connection with the conflict situation in the Caucasus, Russian diplomats were going to ask European authorities for certain concessions. The appearance of the Terminator makes such an intention useless, because the class of the new machine is not mentioned in legal documents of the CFE Treaty. Terminator is neither a tank, nor an armored vehicle. These peculiarities will inevitably lead to numerous discussions as far as the Terminator's class is concerned. Russia has a right to use as many Terminators as needed in the Caucasus until European authorities introduce certain amendments to the CFE Treaty. It is noteworthy, though, that the Russian treasury might not be able to handle this issue."

source: english.pravda.ru...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Your picture didn't show so ill put it up for you

It seems its just another T-72 mod

Got this information for worldaffairs board. Member garry

What are your comments on this new conceipt - the tank, whose primary goal is to fight enemies infatry in urban warfare.... it has quite strong firepower and it is multichannel - several crew each of them can engage different enemies simultaneously. With four ATGM it can engage ANY tanks but is not intended for that. Its Ataka-T ATGM is laser guided - a much better solution could have been a radar and radar guided ATGM.

Specs:

Weight - 47tons
The hull from T-72
Engine power/weight- 21.3 horse power per ton
Speed - 65 km/h on road,

Crew - 5 (one driver, one commander+turret operator - both can hadle it, two grenade launchers on sides, one turret operator)

Unmanned Turret: Two - 30mm 2A42 automatic guns + one 7.62 machine gun + four ATGM Ataka-T
Two automatic grenade launchers at right and left angles in front.

amunition - 900 shells for 30mm guns, 2000 bullets for 7.62, 600 grenades for two automatic grenade launchers

Sights and targeting
Commanders sight/targeting - panoramic with TV channel and laser, turret operator combined optical/infrared + laser targeter and guidance, for grenade launchers AGAT MP (night/day). They all can see at night and in smoke.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
thanks, i'm not sure why it didn't show. What do you mean by "another T-72 mod".
Don't make it sound bad lol.

don't know about the T-72 argument, to me it looked more like a really beefed up BMP-3 without the main cannon.

The laser guided missiles are perfectly fine. radar would be subjected to jaming. Either way the missile are not intended for tanks as your source says. I can hardly picture why else they'd be there then. Perhaps it's saying it's like a means of selfdefense, not to be left helpless against a tank. Either way in an assault this vehicle would be in a formation with t-90s or even t-195s later in the future. This means that those missiles won't be rellied on too much.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Spets]

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Spets]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spets
What do you mean by "another T-72 mod".

The russians ahve been experimenting with a lot of different weapon systems based on tank hulls. There one prototype with a for recoilless rifles mounted on top.

The article pretty much says its going to be used for urban combat with the twin cannons.

T-72 and the Terminator

The roadwheels on the BMP-3 are smaller and differently spaced

[edit on 29-6-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Heres another one

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   

the tank, whose primary goal is to fight enemies infatry in urban warfare.... it has quite strong firepower and it is multichannel - several crew each of them can engage different enemies simultaneously

This bit strikes me as quite interesting. All five of the crew can be engaing a different target. Very good for a urban enviroment

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
yhea, it's like a mobile mutly turret platform. I wonder what this vehicle class will be called.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Are a lot of these different experimental platforms based on the experiences of Chechyna and fighting in an urban environment ? They seem similar to the designs the Israelis have came out with after its battles over the years.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
So basically it's a T-72 hull married with 2*30mm turret used in BTR-90s, 4-ATGM launhers and 2*35mm GLs used in BMP-3s.

Classification would be an ATGM Tracked launcher or a Tank depending on which is concidered the main weapon system.

I think it's a sound concept, but i assume the ATGM launchers are quite unnecesary in urban combat. A better solution might be to use this terminator in pairs with T-80s (or T-90s or Chorniy Oriols)
Still i'd put a remote MG to the back of the vehicle for rear are protection.

This concept has been pioneered by IDF with their MBT to APC/Engineer vehicle conversions like Nagmachon

top topics

join