It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas Minister Stopped With 20 million In Cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Amid escalating violence and workers demanding wages a Palestine foreign minister was stopped the Gaza border with 20 million cash in a suit case.

www.timesonline.co.uk
The financial crisis enveloping the Hamas government escalated today when unpaid civil servants stormed parliament demanding wages and a minister was stopped at the border carrying $20 million cash in a suitcase.

Mahmoud al-Zahar, the Palestinian Foreign Minister, was stopped crossing into Gaza by presidential guards loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas, leader of the rival Fatah party.

It was unclear whether he would be permitted to pass with the money: all sums above $2,000 must be declared and their provenance verified. Dr al-Zahar has visited Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, China, Pakistan, Iran and Egypt on a fundraising tour in recent weeks, although the source of the money was not confirmed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is unclear if the Minister was allowed into Gaza with the twenty million. and it was only a fraction of the money due to the workers. So the question now is, where might the rest of the money be?
Also it would seem that the green eyed monster of greed is universal.

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com
www.boston.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Iran To Financially Support Hamas
POLITICS: Iran's Foreign Minister: Ahmadinejad Comments Misunderstood

[edit on 14/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
that must have been one hell of a large bag to hold all that money.

Can't wait to find out what his "story" is.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That is a very good point about the bag.
I do not know the denomation, so dont really know what I can relate it to.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It sounds like he was out trying to raise some cash from all the countries he visited. If he had been leaving the country with 20mil in cash that would be a big problem. I'm surprised he doesn't have some sort of diplomatic immunity. They must have known he was coming back with fund raising money. The 2 parties are at each others throats.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Is it common practice to give money in the form of cash to an ambassador with his hand out?

When the poorer nations of the world come to the US and ask for aid, do we hand over a briefcase with greenbacks in it?

anyone have any idea as to how much $20,000,000 in $100 denomination weighs?

each bill weighs one gram. that means twenty mil, in pounds would be about 441 pounds

size?
6" by 2.5"
200,000 $100 bills.

my briefcase is falling apart form carrying a pad of paper, a couple of pens (Mont Blanc fancy boy pens that are larger than normal), some business cards, some paperclips and other misc crap that fell off of whatever they originally were attached to, some mints (fresh breath is the priority of my life), the day's newspaper and sometimes an mp3 player and/or a cell phone (both small). total weight? maybe 10 pounds when packed to the gills for a client visit.

the damned straps broke at the metal clip long ago and the bag is falling apart.

I couldn't even imagine jamming all that cash into it.

Someone find out who makes the case that held all that money.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Craker,
Yes I wondering that also. But I have not idea what denomation the bills are in. So there is no way to judge the weight or the mass at this point. But I exspect as this unfolds that question will be ansered.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's a cryin' shame that this man was stopped and searched. It is obvious that the $20 million was destined to ease the suffering of the poor and downtrodden of Palestine.

How dare they question his motives?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
No, really! He wass just taking it for a walk!

And now that aid is being cut off, Palestinians must now embezzle aid donated by private citizens, expats I'm guessing. Boston was famous for being a source of funds for terrorist groups during the Troubles.

DE

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
"The Troubles" is referring to the IRA situation? If so, you're absolutely right. Southie has/had many symapthizers.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
They have no option but to recieve cash since their funds would probably have been frozen if it was transferred by banks. Especially if it has to clear through an israeli bank first. They'd have been stupid if they didn't get it in cash because the money would have gotten boosted otherwise.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Hear is another link for any of you who have been following it.
www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
They have no option but to recieve cash since their funds would probably have been frozen if it was transferred by banks. Especially if it has to clear through an israeli bank first. They'd have been stupid if they didn't get it in cash because the money would have gotten boosted otherwise.

Errr...wtf?

Cash all but encourages the thieving, the skimming,etc. In a particularly corrupt administration such as this (look at arafat, for example) cash is a bad idea. It might be needed - in this case, to give to the rioters- but definitely not advisable.

The PA is beyond 'near collapse' at this point.

DE

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I agree cash is a bad idea unless deemed necessary.
But the PA being near collapse is the very bad point. Things will only get worse when that should happen.

new topics

top topics

join