It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corruption complaints against Asian officers 10 times higher.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
A report from the Metropolitan Police indicates that complaints of corruption against Asian officers, especially Asian muslim officers, are ten times higher than among white officers.

Guardian

The document, which has been seen by the Guardian, has caused outrage among ethnic minorities within the force, who have labelled it racist and proof that there is a gulf in understanding between the police force and the wider Muslim community. The document was written as an attempt to investigate why complaints of misconduct and corruption against Asian officers are 10 times higher than against their white colleagues.

The main conclusions of the study, commissioned by the Directorate of Professional Standards and written by an Asian detective chief inspector, stated: "Asian officers and in particular Pakistani Muslim officers are under greater pressure from the family, the extended family ... and their community against that of their white colleagues to engage in activity that might lead to misconduct or criminality."

It recommended that Asian officers needed special anti-corruption training and is now being considered by a working party of senior staff.

The report argued that British Pakistanis live in a cash culture in which "assisting your extended family is considered a duty" and in an environment in which large amounts of money are loaned between relatives and friends.

--snip--

The report was lambasted by muslims as racist instead of accepting that the report's conclusions may have some merit. They are saying that it is 'shortsighted' of the Met to alienate the muslim population with this report. I guess they'd prefer that the issue were just ignored but that wouldn't make the problem go away.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by AceOfBase]

[Mod Edit: Corrected misleading title 'Muslim officers 10 times more corrupt than non-muslims' - Jak]

[edit on 2/8/06 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well most Muslim countrys have more poverty than "western countrys" and poverty breeds corruption so it's not all that surprising. I think the fact that it seems racist is the point the met are trying to make by raising this issue. "We need to tell them how to do things" type of patronising behavior, all so prominent today in western society.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Taurus feces.

NO ONE is more corrupt than white cops. I just had a pig harass me today.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Taurus feces.

Did they ask you for money?
What part of your experience showed corruption on the part of the police officers?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Interesting.

I havent seen a single non-white cop since Ive been here, but that could just be this area.

From what I am reading in the report, it was written by an Asian officer, not a white guy.

Im surprised the Guardian actually printed this story.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
Well most Muslim countrys have more poverty than "western countrys" and poverty breeds corruption so it's not all that surprising. I think the fact that it seems racist is the point the met are trying to make by raising this issue. "We need to tell them how to do things" type of patronising behavior, all so prominent today in western society.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Xeros]

So, in your opinion that gives the muslim police a "pass" to be more corrupt? It is not "racist" to raise the issue. In fact, it's the only way to begin to do something about the problem. So, exactly how would you deal with the problem?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by truthseeka
Taurus feces.

Did they ask you for money?
What part of your experience showed corruption on the part of the police officers?

No.

He started harassing me because I "fit the description" of a guy they were looking for. Never mind that the guy's description was not even close to mine (I heard another cop give a description). It's cool, though...it's probably the 4th or 5th time this has happened to me. And that's one of my BETTER stories about run ins with Johnny Law pigs.

Guess I look "suspect..."

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
So, in your opinion that gives the muslim police a "pass" to be more corrupt? It is not "racist" to raise the issue. In fact, it's the only way to begin to do something about the problem. So, exactly how would you deal with the problem?

Well good point. But I feel that countrys on the whole need to have money to stop corruption within their forces and unless we are willing to financially award, participate as a country/offer ideas or support to them in some way, then what help is criticism going to do other than a childish " well I'm better than you" type thing. After all Poverty DOES breed corruption.

mod edit:
Please don't double quote, only quote the people you need to.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

Well good point. But I feel that countrys on the whole need to have money to stop corruption within their forces and unless we are willing to financially award, participate as a country/offer ideas or support to them in some way, then what help is criticism going to do other than a childish " well I'm better than you" type thing. After all Poverty DOES breed corruption.

The corruption is happening with the British police force.
It had to be addressed.
This isn't about saying "well I'm better than you", it's about recognizing the problem exists and trying to correct it.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The corruption is happening with the British police force.
It had to be addressed.
This isn't about saying "well I'm better than you", it's about recognizing the problem exists and trying to correct it.

Oh I'm not too farmiliar as to the corruption in the British police at present. Could you give me a heads up? P.S I like your avatar. Come on England! This year the cup is ours.

mod edit:
Please don't double quote (including quoting yourself), only quote the people you need to.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by UK Wizard]

GSA

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
They are British Officers, with british passports and no excuse to hide behind a religon or a cultural shield.

Corruption is corruption what ever the race or colour of the officer, and needs to be stamped out. If its due to them being unable to say they are honest in their dealings with all people on all fronts then they should be sacked / disciplined / charged with criminal conduct which ever applies.

For all those that say it should never be raised as an issue is laughable - none of the guardians readership lept to the defence of white officers when they were all tarred with the same racism brush - but oh no, shock theres asian corruption and it cannot be investigated or mentioned? why? whats so special about them that it can go unreported yet white corruption can?? eerr double standards there people I think.

ANY Officer that is corrupt should be investigated and removed period. If you cannot trust the police that turn up to deal with you, then anarchy is three steps behind.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
what a pathetic report

i have asked a few asian officers what they think of this and all i got is them laugh it off as a joke,

as stated corruption isnt based on culture or religen its in all.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted by AceOfBase

A report from the Metropolitan Police - Met - indicates that complaints of corruption against Asian officers, especially Asian Muslim officers, are ten times higher than among white officers.

The document, seen by the Guardian, has caused outrage among ethnic minorities within the force, who have labeled it racist and proof that there is a gulf in understanding between the police force and the wider Muslim community . . complaints of misconduct and corruption against Asian officers are 10 times higher than against their white colleagues.

The main conclusions of the study: “ . . officers are under greater pressure from the family, the extended family . . and their community against that of their white colleagues to engage in activity that might lead to misconduct or criminality." The report argued that British Pakistanis live in a cash culture in which "assisting your extended family is considered a duty" and in an environment in which large amounts of money are loaned between relatives and friends . . “. [Edited by Don W]

The report was lambasted by Muslims as racist instead of accepting that the report's conclusions may have some merit. They are saying that it is 'shortsighted' of the Met to alienate the Muslim population with this report. I guess they'd prefer that the issue were just ignored but that wouldn't make the problem go away.[Edited by Don W]

This controversy reminds me of the 2 decades following the landmark 1954 Brown case in America which ruled “separate but equal” was not in conformity the Constitutional guarantees of citizenship. Because of historically inadequate funding for black’s K-12 education, many black children were not able to keep up when placed into formerly all white schools.

So whose fault was that? White’s invented multi “tracks” which placed students by the quality of their school work. Which had the effect of re-segregating the schools, inside the building this time, rather than outside as earlier.

Point? It takes time - maybe 3 or 4 generations - and constant vigilance to integrate recent immigrants into main stream culture and at the same time, for main stream culture to make accommodations to the newcomers. Here in America, I’d say we’re about 40% done with the task. And that took us 50 years. So, by 2100, maybe we will be a color blind society?

Corrupt police? Recall the 4 Illinois police who framed a man and watched him receive the Death Penalty. As he sat on Death Row, after all appeals to court had been exhausted, one of the policemen had pangs of conscience, and he turned in his 3 cohorts. The man was pardoned and the 4 police are now serving jail time, the man with a conscience getting only half the sentence of the others.

When I was a young person, a county police candidate had to pay the county judge $300 to become a county policeman. And more, the most sought after elected office in my county was the sheriff. Limited by law to $12,000 salary, it was in the 1950s before we learned the sheriff was pocketing the profits from the jail commissary, which fell under his jurisdiction. As best we could tell, he made over $50,000 a year from that source. Which made him the highest paid public official in Kentucky. And until it was noticed, it was not against any law.

Speed traps were common. The AAA - American Automobile Association - as your Auto Club, kept a list of speed traps. Often, the arresting officer got $10 per arrest. A commission agent. Our lowest court judges were not lawyers and were paid only if the person was convicted, his being a “fee” job and court costs were his source of income. That risky system was finally abolished when one such judge sentenced a man to 1 year in jail on a crime that provided for 6 months.

As a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan, I’ve always held the London police in high esteem. And I have a high regard for the public servants of Europe, which we constantly slander over here, as “bureaucrats” confusing civil service with the Administration. All of which will ultimately come home to haunt us. We are shooting ourselves in the foot. But that’s my problem. Not yours.

[edit on 7/8/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Yeah it’s a difficult problem to make go away.
I guess we should just ignore it for the benefit of a more equal society?

Of course it would more efficient if we actually recognised these sort of issues. Profiling be it racial, age, food consumption, height, muscle anything can be useful. Political correctness might not like that is the way it is; but then they didn't design the periodic table ether.

Sometimes PC and reality clash, ether PC must accept it and make adjustments; or it will and should be destroyed by it. The only problem is that just because racial profiling indicates ten times more corruption in white officers; does not mean we cannot have a fair society.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think you'll find that for petty corruption, you might be right. When it comes to organised crimes/ police bribes/drug trafficking you'll probably find it's the fat old police commisioner "whitey" sitting at head office. Which is worse?

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
When i read the title, i was suprised...then i saw who created the thread

its been a while since i've read your pro-white threads

*yawns*

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
from the exteranal source:

The document was written as an attempt to investigate why complaints of misconduct and corruption against Asian officers are 10 times higher than against their white colleagues.

Boldened by me.

um....are all asians muslims, and are 'whites' non-existant in the mid-east/orient?

this article seems badly written to me...

EDIT

To clarify my complaint...

Asian is a broad ethnicity (2-3 billion if you include Asia Minor as Asia).
While 'white' is a genetic melatonin level.

I can't quite make out the difference between the two, as they can be easily interchangeable.

[edit on 8/2/2006 by Arcane Demesne]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
from the exteranal source:

The document was written as an attempt to investigate why complaints of misconduct and corruption against Asian officers are 10 times higher than against their white colleagues.

Boldened by me.

um....are all asians muslims, and are 'whites' non-existant in the mid-east/orient?

this article seems badly written to me...

The first line of the Guardian article states the following:
"A secret high-level Metropolitan police report has concluded that Muslim officers are more likely to become corrupt than white officers because of their cultural and family backgrounds."

Throughout the article they continue referring to Muslims and Pakistani muslims in particular.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The first line of the Guardian article states the following:
"A secret high-level Metropolitan police report has concluded that Muslim officers are more likely to become corrupt than white officers because of their cultural and family backgrounds."

What do you have against Muslims? I remember in a thread, you was happy that Nick Griffin (Leader of the BNP) was cleared during his trial (abit right wing are we?) seriously though, your threads are basically pointing the finger at anyone who isn't white plus your sources are right wing racist papers.

I doubt the Met would be producing a report that was making claims that target a set race. But what do you expect? The Guardian is more racist than the Daily mail and the mail supported Hitler!

Throughout the article they continue referring to Muslims and Pakistani muslims in particular.

Again, what do you expect from a paper that is racist?

I dare you to spend some time with a muslim and you will see that your racist views of them are wrong

[edit on 3-8-2006 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

I doubt the Met would be producing a report that was making claims that target a set race. But what do you expect? The Guardian is more racist than the Daily mail and the mail supported Hitler!

The guardian is a left wing paper that tends to sympatize with communists and criminals and I've never heard of it referred to as racist.

If the report was fake the Met would have demanded an apology and retraction from the guardian but that hasn't happened so I don't doubt that the report was real.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by AceOfBase]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join