It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sighting/Encounter with "Grey" before Encounters of the Third Kind

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Hi Guys,
Could anyone point me to a case where anything resembling a "grey" alien was encountered/spotted before the 1977 release of Steven Speilbergs film. Basically I want to find out what he based his aliens on, assuming that he did not create the entire concept of a "grey".

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Actually, that's a really good question. I've been reading about UFO's and aliens for ages now and I can't recall any "greys" amongst those described (Nordics, the typical "little green men from Mars", even Elephant type aliens). Then "Encounters" is released and BANG!, we have Greys everywhere.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It used to be angels, then t used to be trolls under the bridge. Then it was elves and fairies, or perhaps they came before trolls? Then enter Adamski, we have Nordics with blonde hair and blue eyesa, bent on world peace ... and the occasional green, slimy, 12-limbed sponge from the planet Nrgnthu or munimula, bent on world domination. Then came (drum roll please!) the "GRAYS" with little more on their minds than bizarre medical and sexual experimentation.

It is interesting to me that the aliens have gone through the transitions that they have, and somehow, thye manage to fit the requirements for being part and parcel of whichever way our society is generally leaning. I imagine they are a part of our human psyche/metadigm and will always be there in some way, shape or form. I, personally, look forward to the time they can all coexist.

But seriously, exist or not, they will always manage to show up and be a nuisance to some extent.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've read accounts from people who claimed to have seen Greys and many of these incidents supposedly occurred prior to the 60's and 70's.

Also, some people believe that the occupants of the crashed UFO in Roswell were Greys.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I believe Betty and Barney Hill described 'grey' aliens in their encounter. This occured in 1961.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm wondering if we "reverse engineered" (so to speak) the Greys into the Roswell scenario because of the Alien Autopsy. (I really don't credit that piece of film as genuine, by the way.) I remember reading somewhere that the Roswell aliens were small because of enquiries about small coffins but then I'm not sure I believe Roswell was anything other than a weather balloon.

Note: Forgot Pleidians in my first post (and probably a few others).

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Some people may believe the occupants of the supposed UFO crash in Roswell were Greys, I have read accounts of a giant brain with sunglasses pre 1970 and accounts of 20 million+ years old dinosaur sea mosters emerging from lakes in Scotland. However
1) Because it was on TV.
2) Because "some people" believe it.
Does not mean it is true.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Do I have this right?

You asked a question, got a couple of answers, then decided to slam the answers?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedopeness
Some people may believe the occupants of the supposed UFO crash in Roswell were Greys, I have read accounts of a giant brain with sunglasses pre 1970 and accounts of 20 million+ years old dinosaur sea mosters emerging from lakes in Scotland. However
1) Because it was on TV.
2) Because "some people" believe it.
Does not mean it is true.

OF COURSE it doesn't mean it's true... I think we all know that goes without saying. I personally have no definate opinion on the incident. My point wasn't the crash happened or that these greys actually exist. My point was that anectdotally, 'greys' have been around since before 1977.

I apologize if I did not make that clear enough for you.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I don't think slam the answers is the correct term. Its more a case of trying to make people put slightly more thought into than saying:
"Some people believe the occupants of the Roswell craft were greys", which actually doesn't mean much since its quite obvious the entire Roswell case is a media driven farce.

You might find that right now I am reading about this 1961 case.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I don't think slam the answers is the correct term. Its more a case of trying to make people put slightly more thought into than saying:
"Some people believe the occupants of the Roswell craft were greys", which actually doesn't mean much since its quite obvious the entire Roswell case is a media driven farce.

You might find that right now I am reading about this 1961 case.

Yes, the entire incident may well have been a media-driven farce. But that's simply your opinion and nothing more. The fact that I cited that people believe something does not, by any means, indicate that I also believe those things. Again, my whole point was that people were believing in these things long before Spielberg's movie(s) came along. And that was the point of this thread.

ADDENDUM: So I apologize... I haven't brought anything conrete to the table that would indicate the concept of greys, pre-1977. Just that I've read reports etc on it. But going by the assumption that I'm not a pathological liar, I think that means that the concept of alien greys existed long before Spielberg's movies. So you'd have to take my word for it, which I reckon is a big no-no around here.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by firebat]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Which book are you reading?

Also, if you wanted us to be psychic, you're in the wrong part of the forum.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Does no one find it slightly bizzare that the aliens depicted in films - such as Encounters of the Third Kind and in the X-Files and cerainly many other Sci-fi genre films, look like "Greys". Firebat, your point that Greys have been around pre 1977 is not true, the programme you saw or text you read was not written before 1977 was it? There is basically no case of Greys existing pre 1977. Which proves all this "Evil Greys" talk is laughable. Why are the greys evil? Ans. Because they were evil in the X Files!!! Al I can say is "I want to believe"......so much that I actually do.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Does no one find it slightly bizzare that the aliens depicted in films - such as Encounters of the Third Kind and in the X-Files and cerainly many other Sci-fi genre films, look like "Greys". Firebat, your point that Greys have been around pre 1977 is not true, the programme you saw or text you read was not written before 1977 was it? There is basically no case of Greys existing pre 1977. Which proves all this "Evil Greys" talk is laughable. Why are the greys evil? Ans. Because they were evil in the X Files!!! Al I can say is "I want to believe"......so much that I actually do.

First of all, not everyone believes that the greys are evil. I, for one, think they're neither good nor evil. But that's another topic.

Again, I'll repeat this... it is not my claim that greys existed before 1977. It is my claim that people have claimed their existence, pre-1977. That is all. Thus, the CONCEPT has been around since before Spielgberg's movies.

I can't backup my claims, granted as I have no materials to reference and just my memory. But you basically just called me a liar so I will refrain from any further posting on this thread.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by firebat]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
There have been a number of reports of greys before Spielberg.

There was a sighting in Italy around 1948 that I remeber offhand. Cant remember the details, but some teacher was hiking in the alps and saw a couple of them.

There was also Betty and Barney Hill, Roswell,the Walton Abduction, amongst others.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You may find Jenny Randles book The UFO Conspiracy helpful. On page 46 she traces the origin of the term Close Encounters of the Third Kind to the European flap of 1954 and gives some very good cases of greys(all pre-1977). Also see Project BlueBooks contactee reports which were all from the 50s and 60s. And Coral and Jim Lorenzon published in 1967 a book titled Flying Saucer Occupants which recorded 98 cases.

its quite obvious the entire Roswell case is a media driven farce.

I'm sure Stanton Friedman will be happy to learn you've finally solved a case he's spent years researching with one fell swoop of the keyboard.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I don't have much faith in Stanton Friedman's credibility, either. I listened to a radio interview with him recently on a podcast and he got his dates mixed up. I figure someone who's been researching a case this long should know the dates by now.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I fail to see how getting a couple of dates confused could lessen a persons credibility.
My question would be- were these dates related to Roswell events?
Also consider when a person gets older their memories aren't as crisp as when they were younger. To that I can testify.
I do agree with ya though that if his mix ups were Roswell related it may be worth looking into since you'd think with all the speeches and publishings he could recite them by rote. And keep in mind that this is on top of all the work he's done in the science world. Maybe he's got an overloaded harddrive.

I still find him to be the most credible researcher in UFOlogy(note I didn't say the only one).

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Friedman is a big skeptic on alot of the UFO phenomena, there is only a few things he'd not immediatly dimiss.

If we can trust anyone, it's Friedman.

There are some depictions of grey-like creatures in ancient times as well, like cave drawings and all that, so the concept of a Grey Alien might yet be around for alot longer

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by longhaircowboy
My question would be- were these dates related to Roswell events?

Yes, the dates related totally to Roswell events. I too can testify that dates get muddled as you get older but I would have thought Stanton Friedman would have those dates so totally memorised that he wouldn't mix them up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join