It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smell-A-Vision - our latest technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Imagine watching CSI and smelling the bloody corpses?

Imagine watching a tv show where someone has smelly feet and you actually get the whiff???

Well, here it is:

Smell-a-Vision
CD-like device contains scent chemicals

A CD-like disc is coated with micro-encapsulated, very concentrated scent chemicals- (like the "scratch 'n' sniff patches on mafazine ads) - these different scents are arranged on the disc in concentric bands. The TV receives a coded signal from the broadcaster containing a "scent code." A laser then "burns" selected tracts of scent to replicate the desired odor. The resulting blend of scents is dispersed from the TV set with a fan. Battle scenes could be accompanied with the smell of blood and sweat and gunpowder, love scenes could smell like-well, you get the idea.

Awww, Gawwwwd!!! Can you stand it???

MODS< this may be in the wrong place- please move if necessary. G'head.

00ps: www.halfbakery.com...

[edit on 11-6-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Though it sounds cool, I think it is actually repelling, and I'm happy I don't bother to watch television now at all (if I can help it). CSI corpses, well, I hate to sound morbid, but as a kid, I used to play hide-and-go-seek with my friends in mausoleums and graves, so that doesn't bother me as much as the reek of a bar scene with a bunch of sweaty steroid built men dancing around. EW!!!!

Being brought up Catholic makes things so strange... Playing in graves.. OY!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Judging by the lack of reply, maybe this isnt new at all and people have heard of it.

Anyway, i couldnt see paying "extra" for this priviledge
Could you?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
watching eastenders and smelling the sh*t smell coming of them, no thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Just what we need. More chemicals to ingest.

I doubt this will ever go anywhere, but commercials for Burger King and Pizza Hut? Now I can see where that might work out.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
this isn't exactly new. Back in 1981 John Water's released the film Polyester in Odorama. Each moviegoer was given a scratch and sniff card and at various points during the film a number would flash in the lower (right?) corner of the screen. Viewers would then scratch and sniff the corresponding number on the card. I remember seeing the film in the theater and I kept that card for years. The first smell, used as an example before the movie started, was something nice, like roses or something. The rest of the movie smells were more Watersesque, like farts, skunk, gas (oven) etc.

Waters wasn't the first to try this out. He was merely replicating a bit of stunt moviegoing that was done in the 50's and 60's. Shock seats and other such items were used to try and bring the audience deeper into the movies.

Odorama supposedly began in 1906 during a stage production where the stage crew used cotton dipped in rose essence and then held in front of fans to produce the rose odor throughout the theater. In the 1920's this process was used in movie theaters but it backfired. The ventilators didn't pump the smells out and the theaters were often unable to rid the air of the smell. In the late 50's and early 60's the process popped up again but the newer problem was that the back of the theater received smells out of synch with the film.

Now you guys have as much unwanted knowledge of odorama as I have.

go on, thank me. you know you want to.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
LOL, Crakeur, i do want to thank you!!! That is a great bit of info you gave us there!!!

Scratch & Sniff, though, wouldnt cut it nowadays. Nobody wants to bother scratching anything.

You know what i mean.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'd like to try it. I often wondered what Kirin Chetry smells like.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I'd like to try it. I often wondered what Kirin Chetry smells like.
Ohhh, you're too funny.

I feel the same way about Eric Roberts, Brad Pitt,...hey- wonder if Bush is an Aqua Velva man!!!

top topics

join