It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Meteor Explosion Hits Norway

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Stan Deyo now has the article posted. Maybe the same? didn't read it too tired.
www.millennium-ark.net...

He also reported the earthquake that shook the Highlands.
Good night

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ouija
I have a feeling this has some thing to do with iran and its testing of weapons i doubt it was a meteor because scientists would be posting info every minute on the internet they would be all over this especially if they posted a reward sign for the meteor ?

ps lets see what unveals

This has nothing to do with Iran and all the politics behind it. Scientists aren't all over it because it's not all that uncomon of an event. While it's larger than what you would typically find entering the atmosphere on a daily and even a yearly basis, it's not groundbreaking.

I'm sure you will see at least one peer reviewed report coming out in scientific journals over the next year or two. They take a while when you consider the research and then the process of reveiw. Someone will take an interest into the meteor and start a study.

As for the reward. I think it's more of a Norwegian pride type of thing. The local astronomer in the original article came off as quite excited by the fact that it could be the largest meteor to land in Norway. To be able to find pieces of it or locate the area associated to it, would make a nice little tourist attraction/stop. It would be a nice piece of history for Norway and they could give some details about it.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by AGENT_T
How much is that anyway??

16,211.13 USD

Hmm...

Before anyone decides to collect on that reward, they may want to consider this: Meteorite Pricing and this Meteorite Collectors Price Guide

Just a heads up.

Hmm... CHASSIGNITE (dunite) $10,000-142,500 per gram! (Xeno considers cmdrkeenkid's micrometeorite project
)

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

L3X

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Here in Italy only a small news by repubblica.it report this but i haven't yet found any other news.
Whatever is a "coincidence" : during Al Zarqawi dead and world cup: This
But i don't suprise if this news almost here won't crossover web because Television News (2 o 3 are better than others...)here are bull# and there is world cup clue, so who look for this event happened in the extreme north?

[edit on 11-6-2006 by L3X]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
As a tip, best free translator site...

mezzofanti.com

Use it to translate foreign articles... Unfortunately, too many requests right now, so can't translate the norwegian sites....

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ouija
I have a feeling this has some thing to do with iran and its testing of weapons i doubt it was a meteor because scientists would be posting info every minute on the internet they would be all over this especially if they posted a reward sign for the meteor ?

No, as I've said repeatedly in this thread, this really isn't that big of a deal in astronomical circles. Something like this happens about 5-7 times a decade.

Originally posted by Shane
It's strange how that is. I listen to New Radio and the T.V. is on all the time, and I've heard nothing.

Because, really, I'm serious, this isn't that big of news...

Originally posted by silentlonewolf
Scientists aren't all over it because it's not all that uncomon of an event. While it's larger than what you would typically find entering the atmosphere on a daily and even a yearly basis, it's not groundbreaking.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

Now let's see if they listen to you instead of me.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Having read through this thread I noticed a couple of things I'd like to comment on in regards to this event.

First, It is news and it's sad that the mainstream new services don't even find it noteworthy. One of the primary reasons is probably because this thing was not sighted by a professional astronomer or journalist. The next reason is for the lack of evidence.

From what I can discern, it is mostly on the word of a few farmers that were awakened at night by it.

These sorts of meteors impact the earth all the time and rarely get noticed in the press because they were witnessed only by uneducated farmers, herdsman and such. Then there is little follow up to the event because of the source of the reports. Another common report that can be misleading is that the farmers report that it passed just over the trees and just behind that hill...leading us to believe that it landed nearby. Oftentimes, these things fly burning 10-20 miles overhead so hot that the farmers can actually feel the heat radiating from them. They sometimes skip out of the earth's atmosphere, sometimes explode in the upper atmosphere, and sometimes land hundreds of miles away.

I think the the possibility of people in Norway actually finding a meteor fragment from this is small though not impossible. I hope they do though!!

There was speculation that this could be from Comet 73P fragments....from the description of the time, location and trajectory of this, I would have to say that there is almost no chance of that. At 2:00 in the morning in Norway, a comet fragment most likely would have been travelling South or SouthEast rather than the North that this was travelling.

Then there was another person who thinks that astronomers and radar technicians detect every meteor that enters the earths atmosphere or even comes near....that is seriously overestimating the capabilities of scientists today. Such a person would also think that big brother is watching him/her when they are nude sunbathing in their back yard. Though such a thing is possible, there simply aren't enough cameras up in space of that quality to spend a moment of time doing such a thing. There are a limited number satellites and technology devoted to the search for meteors.

The odds are that anything smaller than 50 meters diameter will impact the earth before anyone would detect it and have time to warn anyone.

One last thing...there was a person who thought that a meteor visible for more than a second or two was ridiculous....it is not. There are plenty of video clip available for viewing of such things at:

www.areadownload.com...

Though they are in the UFO section of that website, many of the videos are of meteors, fireballs and such. Some really fun viewing

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If nobody has mentioned this (that I saw, and forgive me if I missed it), I will. Not to make the easily paranoid more paranoid but there is a chance that the reason the main stream is not reporting on this is because it may be pre-strike debris of a much larger and more catastrophic projectile that is on the way. But then again, if this were true and it was under wraps, then the media probably wouldn't know about it and if they did, they would most assuredly report it because it is happening under a republican president. Uh, that last statement would be a little joke for those that are not quite with it. Actually my entire post is meant to amuse.

Just some wacky thoughts on a lazy Sunday evening....

President Bush responsible for meteorites meant to destroy the democratic party and their sympathizers! News at 11:00!

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm new to this and not very good at navigating the threads, but it seems about 2 weeks ago, wasn't there a prediction of a car sized meteor hitting somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean and possibly causing a tsunami on the East coast of the US?
In the grand scheme of the Universe.... The Atlantic and Norway are not that far apart.... I guess thhose on the coasts of the Atlantic should be happy it hit land!
Sorry for those that might have been on that land at that time though....

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Pitt]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

KEALAKEKUA, Hawaii, April 13 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Eric Julien, a former French military air traffic controller and senior airport manager, has completed a study of the comet 73P Schwassmann- Wachmann and declared that a fragment is highly likely to impact the Earth on or around May 25, 2006.

Comet Schwassman-Wachmann follows a five-year orbit that crosses the solar system's ecliptic plane. It has followed its five year orbit intact for centuries; but, in 1995, mysteriously fragmented. According to Julien, this is the same year that a crop circle appeared showing the inner solar system with the Earth missing from its orbit. He argues the "Missing Earth" crop circle was a message from higher intelligences warning humanity of the consequences of its destructive nuclear policies. He links this crop circle to May 25, 2006, and identifies the comet Schwassmann-Wachman as the subject of higher intelligence communications.

Using
NASA simulations of the comet's path, Julien concludes that impact is likely around May 25 precisely when the comet crosses the Earth's ecliptic plane. While the first fragment will cross at approximately 10 million miles, lagging fragments threaten to collide. While astronomers have stated that the comet poses no direct threat, Julien argues that some fragments are too small to observe. Astronomers have predicted possible meteor showers indicating some cometary debris will enter the atmosphere.
Julien argues that the kinetic energy of even a 'car sized' fragment will impact the Earth with devastating effect. He concludes the May 25 event is tied in to the Bush administration's policy of preemptive use of nuclear weapons against
Iran, and the effect of nuclear weapons on the realms of higher intelligences. Regarding its importance, Julien declares: "we have to save lives when we have such information to share with the public". He further claims it important "to preserve all data, historical artifacts and precious material in the event of such a collision." Julien predicts that the comet collision will occur in the Atlantic Ocean between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer, and generates 200 meter waves. Julien concludes that "each person with this information has to take responsibility to warn potential victims."

source

MOD EDIT: Adding source and...
No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/11/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The event in Norway has nothing to do with comet 73P Schwassmann- Wachmann or Eric Julien at all. It was most likely a meteorite.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I grew up 6 kilometers from the impact site.. If it had hit a little to the "left"
it would have struck a town with 7000 people in it and there are several equally sized or larger cities\towns in that general area although ground zero is a scarcely populated valley. I still go there although I live in city a couple of hours drivetime away.

Have you seen the impact point pictures? I have some of them on my harddrive if you are interested...

edited out some typos..

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Vegard]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Vegard,
I would really like to see the picture's!!

As for the statement of this not being associated with Schwassmann-Wachmann, well, who is to say. And you do have to admit, the timing is pretty much beyond coincidence, IMO.

Either way, "SHOW ME THE PICCIE"S!!!!"

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The peopel at NORSAR, the scientific organization reported to have detected the impact through seismographs, has responded.

They have directed me to a norwegian language webpage that has more information:
jordskjelv.no...

They stated that they don't know if an impact has been confirmed, but that experts have been saying it must've been a meteor.

I have no idea what it says on the site.

ARCES might be where their seismograph station is.

Here is another one of their pages:
www.astro.uio.no...

It has the same seismograph readout, perhaps the picture is the meteor itself.

This page:
jordskjelv.no...

Seems to show other seismic events in the region, though I don't know if they are all impacts or what.

BIGUP to Norsar for responding so quickyl! Usually these emails get nowhere.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The peopel at NORSAR, the scientific organization reported to have detected the impact through seismographs, has responded.

They have directed me to a norwegian language webpage that has more information:
jordskjelv.no...

They stated that they don't know if an impact has been confirmed, but that experts have been saying it must've been a meteor.

I have no idea what it says on the site.

Used Inter Tran and got this:

It was signals from a meteoritt as night at Wednesday 7/6 2006 became recorded at Norwegian seismiske filling station ARCES close to Karasjok.

Combining
Date: 2006/06/07

Different
Both low frequency lydbølger and seismiske signals became was observing in tidsperioden 0212: at 0215: Norwegian extension interval.

These the waves arrived ARCES filling station at trace course, and agrees along with beep- and lysobservasjoner in North- Tromso.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
i don,t pretend to know the climate for norway but doesn't the pic look a little bright for 2.05am??

Northern Norway is in the Arctic Circle, and we're getting pretty close now to the Summer Solstice, when the Sun only just sets in the north. So, yes, it's pretty light there at night just now.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I just read about it on www.forteantimes.com

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I live in norway, have not heard a single thing about this -_-'

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You would think that this would be easier to find. Somebody please post a link or something that will show this to be a real event.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Damnit I just tried to post a followup article to this including photos of the impact zone and it dispaaeared. go to www.forteantimes, click on more news and follow the links.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join