It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Meteor Explosion Hits Norway

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
i cant seem to search Reisadalen it tells me no results found on google earth haha

Update to my previous post...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Google earth's literature claims that most of thier imagery is 1-3 years old, but just in case, and to try to clear up what i feel may be an anomoly, i have emailed thier support centre requesting an explanation of how old that specific imagery is, whether that is indeed a meteor crater, and if not, what is it? Oh, and also, how did they manage to get the imagery so quickly for a subject that is relatively unknown?

I have recieved an automated response, if another email follows i will be sure to post it here.

In the meantime i might have a search of the GE community, and also see if i can come up with a decent sat photo.

Regards,
Q.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
so the aliens know their gonna crash and dont want to hurt anything...they say ooooo lets die in that mountain so we dont kill anyone/anything.

my money is on weapons testing.....

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
roswell for the 22nd century ^_^ j/k

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEQUANTUMSHAMAN
Does that not look like an impact crater to you?

First: Google Earth does not get the pictures just 2 days after an event, if you remember hurricane Katrina they only got the first satellite photos 4 or 5 days after.
In this case, they would also need the altimetry data to show what you call the "impact crater".

Second: to me, that does not look like an impact crater.

Third: that location is outside the area that the second link from the opening post showed as the direction the meteor was travelling and the supposed area where it exploded or hit the ground.

Note the shockwave effects and the blackened area at the impact point, looks to me like it took out a quarter of the hillside, i will try to get some sort of scale superimposed on that image if i can.

A destruction of that magnitude would have been noticed outside of Norway.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
One thing that did strike me as odd about the initial report was the time it took for the meteor to travel across the sky. I've seen plenty of shooting stars and one or two bolides, and they are FAST. I can't imagine being able to turn after the flash, aim and click they were so fast.

And that Google Earth photo does look pretty fake, imo.

Update to my update...

I stand (well sit) corrected, apparently that is a natural feature of the mountain in question....

"In the course of several thousand years, the Reisa river has cut a deep cleft in the mountain plateau to create the long fertile valley of Reisadalen. Great waterfalls cascade into the valley – the 269 m high Mollis falls are particularly impressive, and at the Imo waterfalls two tributaries cascade down the vertical granite face to join the main river in a narrow ravine where numerous potholes have been scoured out. North of Imo, the valley sides rise precipitously to create a deep canyon."

english.dirnat.no...

But, i do believe this is the area in question, it's called riesadalen and it's in the right place, all i have to do now is find some current imagery.

BTW the mountain is also known as Kilafjeld, just in case anyone cared!

Strange maybe that it was called Rassevarri on my original pic, uploading the new one taken after i emailed google earth on which it is labelled as Kilafjeld, i haven't changed any settings or done anything to alter the placename, odd?

Or am i paranoid?

Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Does that not look like an impact crater to you?

First: Google Earth does not get the pictures just 2 days after an event, if you remember hurricane Katrina they only got the first satellite photos 4 or 5 days after.
In this case, they would also need the altimetry data to show what you call the "impact crater".

Second: to me, that does not look like an impact crater.

Third: that location is outside the area that the second link from the opening post showed as the direction the meteor was travelling and the supposed area where it exploded or hit the ground.

Note the shockwave effects and the blackened area at the impact point, looks to me like it took out a quarter of the hillside, i will try to get some sort of scale superimposed on that image if i can.

A destruction of that magnitude would have been noticed outside of Norway.

Yes, well, that was my point you see, if you read my posts correctly you will see that i was asking the same question and postulating maybe it was a fake (note postulating).

Further research has proved this idea wrong. As for it being in the wrong place...

hisz.rsoe.hu...â?Š=eng

I used the co-ordinates in this link, not my link, not my co-ords.
Given that the placemarker on the map through this link is on the side of the same mountain and that the co-ordinates match, i would say that this is the place, or would you take the word of a newspaper illustrator over the rather more official and efficient looking page through the link? hmm?

Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Afraid this is in Norwegian, but it shows the impact scar (top photo)

www.aftenposten.no...

It seems they estimate the size of the meteorite to have been around 10-12kg on impact.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
There was a vision of Marry and she told children that before the end there would be a sign in the sky, a bright explosion of sorts? My memory stinks but im sure someone here knows what I'm talking about? If this metiorite was 1000 times brighter then that picture, then clearly an amazing sign, considering it had the energy of an atom bomb??

I believe you're talking about the third secret of Fatima. Pope JP II said that millions would die in an instant from it, though. I don't believe millions died in this event.

As for it being "1000 times brighter?" It happened during the day time. It would have to be pretty bright to be seen.

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I guess it was lucky that it didn't kill any people, but I wonder if there might have been any microbes, bugs or viruses in this thing...

About as likely as there are in any of the other chunks of rock that impact the Earth every year.

Originally posted by jensouth31
Now then....you remeber there was reports when all the fireballs were coming down.....why not this??

Because a couple of weeks ago a lot of people were interested in the cometary impact hoax. Now that that has passed, it's not really newsworthy.

Originally posted by ShadowEyes
I'm new here and am not familiar with everyone, so I ask, do we have any amateur astronomers on this site who can take a look to see?

Yes, but so far it doesn't seem that anyone has taken into account what they've said... Especially when they said that the only special thing about this is that someone took notice of it this time...

.cough.cough.

It's certainly in the right place, the co-ordinates match, well roughly because of the camera angle, it certainly looks like an impact crater to me, with a long shockwave flattened area leading to it, hmmm.

I wonder, why would google-earth have this imagery so quickly? Did they know about this too? or is this imagery a fake? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

They don't. That's an older image of the area where it supposedly impacted. Keep in mind that Norway has all sorts of fjords and glacial geographical artifacts and what not.

Originally posted by rich23
I can't imagine being able to turn after the flash, aim and click they were so fast.

Because that's not how it works. What happens is that someone'll be taking a long exposure, wide field image (similar to this) and the meteor just happens to pass through the field of view of the camera. It happens pretty commonly, honestly. If you take one longe nough in the right areas you can even get satellites and aircraft showing up. It can create a neat effect.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Afraid this is in Norwegian, but it shows the impact scar (top photo)

www.aftenposten.no...

It seems they estimate the size of the meteorite to have been around 10-12kg on impact.

10-12Kg, that's not really that big is it, bowling ball size maybe? Must have been going at a fair lick of speed to have caused an impact explosion equivalent to an h-bomb!

That may lead us back to an earlier thought regarding how the farmer was able to take a photograph as it flew by? Who posted that? i'll have a look in a mo.
Does anyone have a linky for that pic yet?

Q

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

10-12Kg, that's not really that big is it, bowling ball size maybe? Must have been going at a fair lick of speed to have caused an impact explosion equivalent to an h-bomb!

That explosion was in the atmosphere, not on impact.

That may lead us back to an earlier thought regarding how the farmer was able to take a photograph as it flew by? Who posted that? i'll have a look in a mo.
Does anyone have a linky for that pic yet?

If you have a camera ready and you see it, it wouldn't be that hard to catch it on film. Ones seen at night in photographs, like the one shown from a few years ago, are generally caught by the method I said in my previous post (ie chance.) Also, those are generall small particles that are just skimming the atmosphere before vaporizing.

Larger chunks that have a chance of hitting the Earth will be slowing down as they dive deeper into the atmosphere and stay in the sky much longer than a normal meteor. Take a look at all of these here: Meteorite Action!

Meteorite image

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

That explosion was in the atmosphere, not on impact.

An airbusrt you say? Like tunguska then? One wonders if they will find anomolous radiation etc. in this case as they have in tunguska...

Q

MOD EDIT: Fixing broken quotes.

[edit on 6/10/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

An airbusrt you say? Like tunguska then? One wonders if they will find anomolous radiation etc. in this case as they have in tunguska...

Doubtful, as airbursts are pretty common.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
www.aftenposten.no...

I dont think this looks like a strike to me. If it was why isnt the grass scorched from the atom bomb size explosion?

Or was the energy absorbed in a different way?. IE into the rock/earthquake style instead of a mushroom cloud type explosion

edit cuz my dislekshea is getgin rellay bda

[edit on 10-6-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The explosion was in the air, absorbed by the atmosphere... It was probably several dozens of miles up when it happened, hence why no effects of the blast were seen on the ground.

The supposed impact

I can understand why that appears to be an impact, as there is obviously new rock exposed. The only question that I'm lead to ask though is, "Was it like that before the impact and no one took notice?" I'm sure some tests will be done to answer that though.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
The explosion was in the air, absorbed by the atmosphere... It was probably several dozens of miles up when it happened, hence why no effects of the blast were seen on the ground.

I can understand why that appears to be an impact, as there is obviously new rock exposed. The only question that I'm lead to ask though is, "Was it like that before the impact and no one took notice?" I'm sure some tests will be done to answer that though.

It looks to me like that could very well have been there before this happened. I can't believe that something with the force at least to cause new rock to show, would not hurt the grass around it. Of course then, was anybody walking around taking pictures of random rocks in Norway?
My opinion is that it was like this before the meteor entered the picture.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The airburst was several miles up. If not even in the mesosphere (where most meteorites are visible) or the upper stratosphere. So we're talking upwards of 30 miles in altitude here.

If a small chunk his the surface, which if it were a dense meteorite (made strictly of iron) it very well could have impacted and knocked chunks of rock off the slope like that.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
But what of the ground shakes reported? would an airburst have registered such.

I see your point that a small chunk of iron at supersonic speed could have easily dislodged rock like that but would it have caused tremors miles away?

I read it as th IMPACT caused the a-bomb effect.Do you have more info from today?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here we go once again this has already been done Frist By H.G. Well' And then By Orsen Wells back in the 1930's In the tiny town of Grovers Mill New Jersey where the war of the world's did take place back then this is where they frist did land

And or is this the old Soviet Union !908 when that big metor struck there way back then in a remote area causeing much damage to a large forest area.

Oh well!:

Jay!:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
But what of the ground shakes reported? would an airburst have registered such.

I see your point that a small chunk of iron at supersonic speed could have easily dislodged rock like that but would it have caused tremors miles away?

I read it as th IMPACT caused the a-bomb effect.Do you have more info from today?

In the original article they quote the astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard as saying:

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the (atomic) bomb," Røed Ødegaard said.

(my emphasys)

You see, the explosion is comparable to that of the Hiroshima bomb, not the effects or the impact, the astronomer never said that.

As for the fact that the explosion was registered in sys

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I'm saying reported by the mainstream media

Aftenposten is considered as mainstream media in Norway. They have a norwegian edition and an english edition as well. Just for your information

Perhaps, but Aftenposten is not the mainstream media I have here, nor it is the one that people have in most European countries, America and the world.

And my concern is still right about the norwegian mainstream media... why was this reported AFTER the event??? I don't care if no one died... this meteor should have had a micron of difference in its trajectory it could have destroyed a urban area and killed hundreds of thousands if not more.

Professional astronomers are completely able to detect any incoming meteor threat from months if not years ahead for chrissake! A meteor big enough to have provoked an explosion like that should be huge in space, before being burned and reduced 3-4 times its size in the atmosphere! WAKE UP!

Either a major, disastrous mistake was committed by astronomers and they don't wanna have the global scientific community on their tail, or there's something the authorities don't want the public to know about, but in both cases, this is very, very worrying.

[edit on 10/6/06 by Echtelion]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join