It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Coolest Robots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I came across this list of the top 10 coolest robots and thought people here at ATS might find these robots interesting. This site features a short video of each of the 10 robots and some are in my opinion are very impressive.

Top 10 coolest robots

Chances are you have seen a few of the robots on this list before, Honda's updated ASIMO for example which can now run at 6 km/h or Sony's QRIO. But I'm betting there's a few on this list most people have never seen.

WR-07- for example anyone a fan of "Transformers"? If so let your inner geek rejoice for the here's a real transformer

RiSE- a climbing robot unlike any I have ever seen before. No suction or sticky feet for this little robot and it can climb things like trees very well.

There's also some amazing footage of BigDog the "robotic mule" A very impressive walker that its creators try to knock over with a few well placed kicks and the robot reacts and compensates in real time to keep from falling over.

The advancement we are making in robotics is mind blowing. Its like evolution on a insanely fast track. What would take millions and millions of years for evolution to accomplish is done in a few years.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well the site seems to have went down for some reason or another. That is the correct link but

Well anyway until the site come up again heres another site with video of the WR-07 I mentioned

video

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Too awesome! The mule robot seems to me to be the most practical and seems to have the best AI. Its reaction times when someone kicks it looks just as good as a real animal! I'm sure the army would be interested in something like this, especially for ground troops.

It still seems like we are a fair way off mimicking humans movements and intelligence like in the movie iROBOT, although the asimo one seems to be quite good. Does it have AI or is it all programmed movements?

I think AI is the final frontier in robots, I'm sure we have the engineering capabilities to create very agile and strong machines right now, but they seem to be lacking in the AI department.

Aren't the some good advances in artificial neural networks and stuff? We need to get those technologies into a robot like asimo.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Dude, imagine a full sized transformer. If I ever saw that, I'd lose my $#!+ .

I wonder if they could make one that transforms from a mac truck into Optimus prime

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I remember seeing some cool video of some very realistic looking robot that is supposed to be some kind of law enforcement deal, it could run and everything. I think it was CGI, but it looked so real. I have no idea where online I saw it, maybe somebody that reads this thread will have a link?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Well anyway until the site come up again heres another site with video of the WR-07 I mentioned

That was insane. Very insane. I like it. Imagine what will be in ten years from now!

Originally posted by headcheck
I have no idea where online I saw it, maybe somebody that reads this thread will have a link?

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Very cool video.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
That is awsome i love transformers
and it will be great to see the danceing robot group in an arena near me.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hey we ALL know that this guy is the Coolest Robot EVER

img.photobucket.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The army asked for something like the BigDog robot to be developed, according to my memory. But isn't it freaky? It looks like some animal, those legs and all . . .

But hows that transforming robot!?! That is the crazyest thing. And yeah, if I saw one full size my jaw'd hit the ground.

What's stopping them from building it full size?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Im glad the site is up and running again.

Originally posted by Toasty

The mule robot seems to me to be the most practical and seems to have the best AI. Its reaction times when someone kicks it looks just as good as a real animal

I was thinking the same thing something about its movment seems so very lifelike, its almost creepy. Asia might clean our clocks in robots from a style and flare standpoint but in north America we can clearly hold our own in making practical robots.

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
But hows that transforming robot!?! That is the crazyest thing. And yeah, if I saw one full size my jaw'd hit the ground.

What's stopping them from building it full size

I would imagine price is by far the biggest barrier. WR-07 probably only cost a few thousands dollars compared to a full size humanoid like Asimo that cost Honda over $100 million dollars so far to make and develop. That might not be a fair comparison since Asimo can do alot more but all the human sized humanoid robots cost a insane amount of money.

Better to develop some radical design like this in a small body and iron out the problems in that cheaper testbed.

This robot RAYERD-X might not have made the list but its another radical design first created in a small Robo-One package.

Rayerd-X

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Some discussion here about robots and links too -

www.gearsonline.net...

this one is -all- about toy robots!

www.zincpanic.com...

ps - that Bigfoot quote in a sig. above is tremendous, I'll have to go and look that up!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Gosh...I had to bring in my brother an old Transformers fan....he was amazed by that little transformer aswell.....all they need to do is like...some how mold a optimus Prime ....body kit around it and you got yourself the best dang toy in the world!.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by headcheck
I remember seeing some cool video of some very realistic looking robot that is supposed to be some kind of law enforcement deal, it could run and everything. I think it was CGI, but it looked so real. I have no idea where online I saw it, maybe somebody that reads this thread will have a link?

At the end of the video that was provided by cmdrkeenkid, there was a website address provided. that website is: www.tv-robotics.co.za...

It looks like an upstart project, focused on using robotics for human replacement in dangerous tasks. From the little bit of information avilable on the website, it looks like they're still looking for funding and interested companies to get the project moving.

From that, I'm betting that the robot shown in the video is either fake, or partially real, but mostly a Hollywood style prop (likely with some CG used to complete the effect).

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I was fascinated when I learned about how old robotics is in Japan - they had acrobatic machine figures that could spin around and do all kinds of tricks just using mechanical gears.

Does anyone have info. on computers designing and building computers of today? I have been told this a few times by people in that industry, some of them have said long ago to me that even back then there were computers designing then printing the circuit boards and that humans had little to do with any of it (not at that stage - probably later on if larger more fiddly parts had to be soldered on and then assembled).

top topics

join