It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing Name?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Can you change your username on here? If I cant do it myself can a MOD do it for me? When I signed up about a year ago, I was stupid and put in the wrong name. I wanna change it to Area51mafia, like every other message board I am on.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
this can be done, but i dont think the admin will do it, its alot of messing about.. maybe they will incorporate it as an option to buy in the ats store at a later point...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Gryffen had a problem with her account (before to be called gryffen she was ravenstar). She asked the MODS to change of name but they cant do it.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:50 PM
link   
the mods cannot do it i doubt, but william could.. but its probably involves database editing... and if he does it for one person..

every bloody person is going to request it..

and i doubt poor will's wants to be editing 400 regular members database info now does he...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Its definitely been suggested as a store option...

Simply create a new account? Sure, you'll lose stuff, but you can always get it back....

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
whats happening with my mini profile.. ive lost my titles for some reason ?

under my username?? allso bb code the color one doesnt seam to work in my sig...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It is not possible to change your username as this is a primary key within the XMB database. If you wish to use a different user name you must create a new account. This will also involve needing a different e-mail address to register with.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i would of thought it was possible... but i wouldnt expect anybody to do it because of the hassle..

its just too much hassle for william..

i would expect it can be done though.. but i totally understand the reasons for not doing it..

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
simon whats up with my custom user titles dispearing..

my line 1 and line 2 have just gone?

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
If you wish to use a different user name you must create a new account. This will also involve needing a different e-mail address to register with.

Ah, that sucks. I was thinking about creating a new username but I only have the one email address.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Register for a hotmail or yahoo address, etc.
Unless policy is an ISP e-mail is required (it's been a while since I checked the TOS), and in that case, you can usually create additional accounts there anyhow....

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 07:23 AM
link   
As indicated, changing names is very hard. The sloppy programmers at XMB have seen fit to use something as arbitrary as the member username as a database "primary key". For those unfamiliar with database programming, the primary key is an important attribute that multiple database tables can tie into, and, is used for routine database mainenance and cleanup.

While not impossible, in reality, changing one member name would require taking the site offline, waiting until all database connections close, running about 12 different queries to change all the database tables that tie into the username primary key, and hope the tables didn't become corrupt from such a broad-stroke change of primary keys (it can happen).

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Gazrok

An ISP-based email addy has been required for a couple of months.

This effective policy came in around the same time as the mass execution of hundreds and hundreds of accounts from which the members never posted.

The policy is a sensible part of ATS pest extermination, and it seems to have worked even on the TCA[WyTX] type entities.

I am not sure where the mass grave is.

top topics

join