It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Make an Alternative to Google?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Google censorship is out of control, they share your information with Government and for all that their slogan is “Do No Evil” they along with Yahoo help China arrest you for having an open mind.
Someone on here said that if you type the word “failure” into Google the first result you get is George Bush’s biography. They are right. Apparently just some hackers fun? Well who cares when we need an alternative to Google.

So what good search engines would someone on here suggest as an alternative to Yahoo and Google?
Might there be a way of linking up various smaller search engines to create to super Google alternative search engine. Say a search engine where you could customaries your settings to boycott specific search engines? A sort of “super alternative search engine”

So what suggestions might you have? Hay there could be big money to be made here (better not be too much though otherwise it could end up defeating the point) (or boycotting itself!!!).

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
AllTheWeb.com

AltaVista.com

Mamma.com

Skaffe.com

a9.com

SurfWax.com

Are just a few of the ones I use when google fails. But I don't reckon google is all that bad. Ignore the privacy crap, it can give some great results and has heaps of features.

If you hate google that much, you'd better get onto the admin here at ATS and have that 'Google Search' button at the top removed!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
why do we want an alternative?

it's an incredible product

it is incredibly useful

it may be semi-megalomaniacal, but so what, they're awesome...

also they aren't evil, they're to busy with random projects to be evil

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with Google for a quick search. Just like there's nothing wrong with Wikipedia for a perfunctory overview of a topic. I especially find the additional links useful.

However, if you want to dig deeper, and are ambitious enough to not rely on a single source (like Google, or Wikipedia) then try some of the stuff, sites, and ideas here-

The Hidden Web Revealed .

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Google's indexing and databasing park is rumoured to be somewhere between 100 and 150K units of of the shelve systems with costom operating system and software designed for nothing but the google search engine.

You think its easy to build an alternative to that?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

You think its easy to build an alternative to that?

Yes I do. Google did so someone else could too. Microsoft and Yahoo are already hard at work on it

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I ment the "you" as "you" not "someone".

Offcource it can be done, but the question is "Can WE make and alternative to Google", not "can someone make an alternative to Google".

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Because I don't like what google is doing, I use a really powerfull search engine with a naughty name.

www.dogpile.com

It pulls from multiple search engines, and then displays your results.

-ADHD

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just thought I would post another search engine alternative that you might want to have a look at if Google gets you down:

KartOO is a metasearch engine with visual display interfaces. When you click on OK, KartOO launches the query to a set of search engines, gathers the results, compiles them and represents them in a series of interactive maps through a proprietary algorithm.

KartOO

[edit on 14/6/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
One of my current favorite search engines is Ice Rocket. Has a nice clean Google-like portal and returns results with a snapshot of the web site.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
DAMMIT now the "president" has ruined my birthday too(july 6th) I had to check to see if google really gave the pres's bio for failure.. it does

[edit on 20-6-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind a search engine that you know actually has searched a huge amount of the internet, rather than just call up some regularly used pages that everyone knows about already.

I don't dislike google, it finds most things I look for. But - as with all such engines - there's no way it's trawling through all servers etc to look for all incidences of what keywords you used, or whatever other designated search terms.

To make your own, you'd need a lot of servers and a hefty connection as big as you could pay for, and you'd need to have your OS and code written to optimise whatever it is you want done - in my case it'd be something that actually goes out and takes a bit of time to look through whatever it can, specificly, before returning the results.

For regular searches though what there is availible now tends to work out. I'd complain more about the amount of irrelevent results that all search engines throw out.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Here is the summary of your suggestions…

from watch_the_rocks
1. All the Web.com
2. Alta Vista.com
3. Mamma.com
4. Skaffe.com
5. a 9.com
6. Surfwax.com
from yeahright
7. The Hidden Web Revealed
from ADHDsux4me
8. www.dogpile.com
9. Kart00
10. Ice Rocket

Hopefully these Alternatives to Google will make you quite a good Microsoft Word document.

Before you gave these results I knew of about two search engines Google and Yahoo with the only other ones I found being quite rubbish. Its people like those ATS’s who really make this website for what it is.

I guess the answer to my question is that you can make an alternative to Google but you don't need to, you just need to find this web page, then you’re sorted.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I use Copernic. The free version kills you with adds but the pro version isn't as bad. Give it a shot and you might have found just what you were looking for.

wupy

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

Google censorship is out of control, they share your information with Government and for all that their slogan is “Do No Evil” they along with Yahoo help China arrest you for having an open mind.

Try Scroogle:

www.scroogle.org...

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't want google to have more control of the searching market then it already has, as well as microsoft and yahoo. The three should be have an equal share so either doesnt become the defacto snitch for reporting our information to the goverment.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Have to agree that google is getting monopolistic and too rich. They guys that started this thing look like dorks and I have no idea how they took out established search engines that were around long before they showed up. Looks like the money always goes into the hands of the same 'people.'

top topics

join