It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pushups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm terribly bad in pushups, please don't laugh, I'm 21 years old, but I can do only approximately 20 to 24 pushups. I have decided to sign up for student's military training in October, thus I have a summer to exercise and prepare.

Currently my every week exercise schedule include running 8 kilometers thrice a week, doing stretching exercises twice a week, situps thrice a week, weight lifting twice a week, some strength exercises and studying Kadochnikov's systema.

I have decided now to do pushups every two or three days, however, probably there are some other exercises, that might help to train the muscles needed for pushups.

Any advice appreciated...

[edit on 4-6-2006 by Agnis]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
you say you do wieght lifting? correct?

do you do flat bench?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Dont worry, you say you lift weights, well then just keep doing weights and every now and then do a max on pushups, i usually do them after my workouts or in bettween sets. But just keep doing them 3 times a week even try weighted pushups.

But honestly dotn worry about it, THe best advice that i can give you is this do dips ( weighted if you can do 15), Bench press (proper form),and overhead press. Those are the excericises i think helped me the most, I remember that once i got my bench up to 200 i was able to do 70pushups, then i got it to 220 i got to 90 pushups and so on and so on.

Just try to get your weight up on your lifts, and practice pushups. In a couple of weeks or months you should see your numbers sky rocket.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There is some good information on how to increase your pushups on this site, it helped me alot to increase my pushups, I went so far with the help i got that i was doing handstand pushups, tuckplanche pushups, and other variations...

p214.ezboard.com...

[edit on 4-6-2006 by ATSGUY]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
dips are amazing.

if you can... do dips. this helps out a lot.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
they truely are..weighted dips rule...

oh and i recomend that if you get to the point were you can do 50pushups or more, then start doing no feet pushups or tuck planch pushups, they are harder and if u have parallel bars they give you more range of motion. Belive me most people cant even do one.

i find that it is this type of progression from easier to harder skills that is good when u are on vacation with no weights, except i find it hard to work my legs for strength!

here is an example:

youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Thanks for your advice

I have decided to do parallel bar dips and pushups thrice a week, and will pay more attention to the flat bench exercise

As for that video, I'm not quite in that stage, but I hope to reach it some day

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
dont forget to balance yourself out with pulling motion excercises like pullups,chins,rows...

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Just do it twice every day.

The practice is the only way to gain the abilities.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
he is right you know. When i wa training for handstands i thought that if i just did handstand pushups i would gain the skill. Well i got my numbers up on the handstand pushups but when i tried walking on my hands i would come crashing down. So i started practicing, i would walk around the house, practice holds for various time periods, even do it in skool ( when no one was looking). It paid off, one day i just got on my hands and started walking with complete control. I was so excited, ofcourse i still do it today just like once or twice a day...practice practice practice

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
... i can do girl pushups and a killer chataraga in yoga but if i try to do a full push up my pushing up part doesn't happen always lol

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Hey, everyone

I’m slowly approaching to 30; today I was able to do 27.

Btw, what is a girl pushup?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
good stuff man! seems like you are impoving. keep that up.

new topics

top topics

join