It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strikes in Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In Germany, the strikes are over, but...

A strike by doctors in Germany's public hospitals over wages and working hours that began in March has resulted in losses of millions of euros. Clinics are demanding reimbursement.

The chairman of the Association of University Clinics in Germany (VUD), Rüdiger Strehl, told the Berliner Zeitung daily that Germany's federal states should reimburse clinics for the economic damage they have sustained due to the ongoing strike, which he estimated at 100 million euros ($128 million).

"We will take legal recourse against the states," he said in an interview with the paper, adding that the hospitals were not able to make up for the lost income on their own.

Link: www.dw-world.de...

MY OPINION: I don't deny that I'm watching Germany burn with pleasure. You people surely wonder who will tear down Germany first: the communists or the Muslims. Personally, I think it's the Muslims, it would be great to see Germany under Sharia law.

[edit on 31-5-2006 by Zibi]

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 31-5-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hmm... let´s see:

STRIKE (n.) - A cessation of work by employees in support of demands made on their employer, as for higher pay or improved conditions.

www.dictionary.com

Yeah, damn those Germans for not only going on strike, but also dastardly stopping to work specifically to cause economical damage...

Could someone please ask this *good member* where is hatred towards Germany and France comes from? He doesnt read my posts...

He could also be reminded of the Gdansk Shipyard Strike under Lech Walesa that helped revolutionize his Polish homeland, just to show the necessity of a strike now and then...

[edit on 31/5/2006 by Lonestar24]

[edit on 31-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Zibi, your post isn't making much sense. You're citing a minor strike, then tossing in some Germany-bashing with strange thoughts of how the communists and muslims are somehow attacking them. I'm all for you stating opinions, but would you mind doing so in a way that's more clear?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
You're citing a minor strike, then tossing in some Germany-bashing with strange thoughts of how the communists and muslims are somehow attacking them.

If it was a minor strike, then Strehl wouldn't sue the government demanding a compensation of 128 million dollars.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Zibi]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zibi
...If it was a minor strike, then Strehl wouldn't sue the government demanding a compensation of 128 million dollars.

Of course it was a minor strike.

It was the strike of 38 german University Clinics (and a few State Hospitals). All in all about 13.000 physicians laid down their work (though basic and emergency treatment was still provided).

Although some of the clinics that were impacted by the strike were among the largest in Germany, their number is dwarfed by the total amount of over 2100 hospitals in Germany, with a staff of physicians close to 120.000. In relation this means that less than 10% of the german hospital physicians laid down their work (because the number of physicians providing basic health care in the university clinics during the strike were officially "on strike", too, but effectively didnt stop working).

It also means that 1.8% of the german hospitals were on strike. To be honest however, as these clinics are of among the largest, it is more relevant to count their potency in number of patients treated. According to the VUD website these 38 Clinics account for 12% of all treated patients in Germany.

So still, with roughly 10% of german healthcare institutions and physicians on strike, this undeniably IS a minor strike. Completely unrelated to the numbers and severity of the strike are the political implications and consequences, which I personally doubt this member is willing (or able?) to understand.

In short, the sole reason why the VUD quoted in the news article is advocating (not yet sueing, another inaccuracy) a refund by the german federal and state governments is that these state-operated University Clinics operate under civil services tariffs and -regulations - unlike an "usual" strike by employees of the private business sector.

[edit on 1/6/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zibi

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
You're citing a minor strike, then tossing in some Germany-bashing with strange thoughts of how the communists and muslims are somehow attacking them.

If it was a minor strike, then Strehl wouldn't sue the government demanding a compensation of 128 million dollars.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Zibi]

Let's try this one more time before I am convinced you are only interested in arguing without basis...

Zibi, your post isn't making much sense. You're citing a minor strike, then tossing in some Germany-bashing with strange thoughts of how the communists and muslims are somehow attacking them. I'm all for you stating opinions, but would you mind doing so in a way that's more clear?

join