It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife crime and the UK police state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Listening to BBC Radio 2 about the debate on Knife crime. It is remarkable how many people have phoned in, confessed carrying knives and feel the Government should do more. Callers wanted the Human Rights Act removed and Police should be given more power to stop and search. With knife crime high in the UK, and a number of stabbings taking place this week, this could be the march that will lead us into a police state. The fear of knife crime has basically resulted in the people crying for protection...and sadly, majority dont care what the Government does to stop it.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
After guns bannishment in UK, now the knifes bannishment... With all the laws being passed in UK, soon, you'll be traced everywhere you go, no rights, maybe even get chipped... Well police state near yours soon...

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Infinite,

It is hard to understand why humans would opt to give away their freedoms. If you look hard at all that is happening, you have to admit that the NWO fathers, had to have studied society's reactions...because it is extremely easy to sway people to do their bidding. Hell, some are begging for implants, National ID's, etc.
Everything IS going according to plan.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
In the past, they have had 'open days' where people gave up their weapons without fear of arrest. How long did this last?

I have to be honest here too. If it goes against human rights to stop and search someone who is suspected of carrying a knife, then i am all for this law to be changed.

If this type of law change leads to a safer environment for the law abiding, then i can see no problem with it.

If you or i are stopped by the Police and are searched. They now have to give written documentation outlining the reason why you were stopped, when you were stopped and the officer who did the search. You can then use this for complaint if you think the Police were out of order. Not sure how good this system is though.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
It is hard to understand why humans would opt to give away their freedoms.

That's why we want to get rid of the (In)Human Rights Act - which effectively makes every decent citizen in fear of imprisonment, whilst ensuring criminals get let off.

"You nasty, evil, man hitting that poor incocent mugger like that. Why couldn't you have just given him your wallet and let him rape your wife peacefully? You fully deserve 10 years in prison. My Mugger will get £200,000 compensation for the braken arm you gave him"

Oh, and as for the idea of the police actually trying to stop a criminal before he commits a crime! "God forbid! Let them concentrate on stopping cards from do 1mph over the speed limit and leave the poor burgulars alone!"

(Note an element of sarcasm
)

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
A disarmed society is a compliant society. Take away the peoples means to fight against tyranny and walk over them.
I usually carry my handy Victorinox knife with me as a tool but would probably be arrested if found carrying it, without actually having committed any crime. Just carrying it would be considered a crime in itself... crazy

What next, Cricket bats and pointy sticks?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wasn't there a bloke arrested a few years back after he was stopped and found to have a Swiss Army Knife in his briefcase?

I have a Swiss Army Knife, with lockable blade, on me most of the time - except when I leave it in the kitchen because I was using it to open beer bottles....

The only problem I have is that if a gang attacked me and I used my knife in defence, I'd like as not be the one who ends up in prison .....

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I usually carry my handy Victorinox knife with me as a tool but would probably be arrested if found carrying it, without actually having committed any crime. Just carrying it would be considered a crime in itself... crazy

If the knife locks or has a non retractable blade, then it is classed as an offensive weapon. Daft eh? Whereas a Stanley knife (craft knife,box cutter) that has a retractable blade, and can do a hell of a lot of damage ,is not illegal.

I think any blade may be liable to get you arrested if you are searched.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
And there lies the problem Bikereddie... there is just no common sense applied to policing these days. It's all target driven and based on revenue generation. Hit the easy targets and fine them to bring in revenue while the real criminals run amok.

I'm a 42 year old mild mannered Security Systems Manager with no criminal record and abide by the laws of the land (well, I do admit to maybe having a bit of a lead foot when the roads are quiet :lol
but these laws would label me as a knife carrying hooligan if stopped and searched. I used to know most of the police officers where I live and worked closely with them on projects. They all quit the force long ago in disgust at the level of standards in recruiting and the policies they were being asked to follow.

Several years ago I stepped in and assisted a PC and WPC who were being attacked by a gang of yobs. Between us we detained 3 before backup arrived. Myself and both officers sustained minor injuries which were documented. When it got to court the CPS guy cut a deal to get them all to plead guilty to lesser charges, before he had even spoken to us. All 3 walked with small fines and 120 hours community service, despite all of them having previous criminal records. Since then my view of the criminal justice system has been a little jaded, to put it mildly. Still, it's a result for the CPS. Another successful prosecution and a gold star for the prosecutor for saving the tax payer a few quid I guess.

I'd certainly like to see the Human Rights Act overhauled to remove the rights of those who break the law and ignore the rights of their victims. The current system is just too flawed and favours the criminal more than the victim in a lot of cases.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yep drop the human rights legislation.
Personally I think they should shoot knife carriers on sight (well fixed blades etc).
Some of the knives these people carry, they are not for cuting their fingernails

My brother some years ago was out for a drink with his mate and as he walked past these kids one went to hit him....he thought. My Bro has spent a lot of his life doing martial arts of all sorts he merely paried the blow and stood there Bruce Lee style, in one of his many "on guard do you want some" poses. None of the lads took up the challenge and legged it. He carried on to the next watering hole when his mate said "Whats that on the pavement?"

He now understood the look of amazement on the naughty lads faces. He had been stabbed pretty deep. He almost lost his life. Months later in court 3 of the four 4 had travelled 150 miles to cause mischief knowing they would be long away before anyone found out. It was sheer luck and an observant..and brave..copper that spotted the lads, thought they were suspicious and called it in.

It seems my bros fast deflection of the blade saved him. He maintains that he and his chum had done nothing to warrant an attack. The lads, it now seems, just hated the English and travelled from South Wales to avenge Glendwr or some other fanatical mythical, blood feud.

But really where do you stop? Intent can make most things a weapon. That and the skill or knowledge to turn these things into a weapon.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I kind of think that anyone should be allowed to carry a knife providing they don't have any Asbo's or more serious criminal convictions. It would save a lot of trouble as it would mean that for the same amount of effort the law could afford to come down hard on those who really should'nt be carrying weapons.
And who the heck says I can't carry a weapon to defend myself when I've never been convicted of anything? It's a really useless law because I often carry a knife and despite almost being knocked out, I haven't used it yet.

How to solve the knife problem? Knife the Prim Minister is my answer.

If our government wasen't so distracted and useless perhaps people would'nt need to carry knives? But that's utopia. The real worlds quite c*** because of people like them.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

GSA

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
no one is safe in the big cities now. Why? because of the feral packs of animals that roam at will with no fear of the law or police - they rob steal and create crime where ever they descend, and like locusts destroy every thing they can get away with.

I moved to oxford a while ago - dreaming spires? not bloody likely ! Burning tyres is more apt.

This town is a feral sink estate - you cannot believe how many estates there are full to the brim with sheer abject scum. Broad day light on the bus they smoke crack coc aine - in daylight! People are so scared they don't say anything at all!!
The centers a magnet for so called big issue sellers, and yet they have better mobiles and trainers than i do, oh and the arm loads of smack tracks they are festooned with makes me feel sick to my core. Its endemic in this country now - drugs, gangsta living, bling worship and a totla and utter disrespect for society as a whole has created this generation that I just cannot believe are even outside of a prison wall...

Whos fault is it? Goverments. bring in tough police like new york zero tolerance, bring in tough anti social laws like germany, and get these lazy bad boy gangsta wanna be's to take care of how many children they expect the state to clothe and feed -
Honestly it makes me want to scream at times!

Oh and knives? well there called 'shanks' here in Oxford, knife is so not the gangsta big up word for a blade - its now shank.... yes I have a friend with a 15 year old girl who assures me that 'its all cool to be tooled'..

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
And now David Camerons's policy for Human Rights Act reform has been defeated, it seems even the tories cant give us a guaranteed escape from this affliction, for want of a better word.

I have been fortunate enough to live in quite a nice area of S#horpe, but now, the scum from the other estates are migrating up here to break and vandalise everything, because they have broken and vandalised everything on their home estate. I dont like going to the shops after 5 o'clock because all the 'crews' are 'haning out' there, and quite frankly, I feel intimidated. God knows what the shopkeeper thinks of all this lost revenue from people like me.

Years of allowing criminals to get away with everything from petty theft to first degree murder has created this. And like GSA has already said, it is the fault of the Government, not society.

join