It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Economy Collapses how will people receive rations, buy/sell, trade?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Based on some information found in this thread, I'm wondering how peple will trade after a complete economic colapse of the US? I asked this question in the thread listed, but I think this aspect deserves it's own look.

In the event of an economic colapse, those who have money solely invested in American business will lose most of their money, and the USD will be worthless. If I'm wrong, please explain. In that case, would it make sense that

Revelations
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Would this be a possible outcome of an economic colapse in the information age?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
If the US dollar falls, does that mean that the government will no longer pay welfare, social security, VA benefits, or military retirement?

If the dollar has no value, you'd better find a skill you can use to barter. When the money fails, all that is left is service and skills.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There are pockets of people here in the U.S. that still barter for their foodstuffs and other items. I have in-laws in West Virginia that can trade eggs for sugar and the like at some of the small rural country stores.

If the economy would collapse, these people would survive much longer than urbanites in a similar situation.

They may not be able to trade eggs for new parts for their automobile, but they could get many of the necessities to survive until the economy was started on the road to restoration.

Hunting, fishing, maintaining large gardens, canning foodstuffs... they do all of that in the normal course of living their lives so that they are somewhat self-sufficient.

JDub

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is it possible that after a collapse on such a large scale, the only source of relief would come from foreign support. And if that's the case, would people be marked so that the ammount of rations that the individual gets could be monitored?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Certainly a black market would arise in this senario. But it would be real handy to know how to grow things to eat. Self-sufficiency would be the goal. Unless of course you accept the MARK. Then things would be doled out according to the importance of the service you provide. Northern Canada is looking real good.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Livestock will retain its value, so will precious metals retain theirs (esp. gold and silver).

I don't see any reason why the mark would be necessary, unless you were taking state relief aid or something, and they have some sort of system established with the mark to prevent people from taking multiple rations.

Anyway, livestock is always a good bet.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That's what I mean. I wonder what the ratio of people who would take govt. aid over those who wouldn't would be.

Also, how far would this stretch. Would I be able to make a workable living if I were to move to the Caribean? Would I be allowed to leave the country after the incident? Would I need to be marked to leave?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Why would there be such a programme in the middle of an economic collapse? If it happened, then the last thing anyone would be thinking about would be creating a registry or database of citizens, let alone tagging them, whether via tattoo, rfid implant, or collar. If the economy falls apart, the US government isn't going to be able to initiate a big new programme.

I doubt that any other country, or organization, would be able to do so also. Maybe some collectives or somethihng would tag people in order for them to get onto food lines or something like that, but to be able to transact business??

A monied economy is the only one in which the mark makes sense. In a non-monied one, people would be trading stuff on their own, not interacting with a regulated system.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm only imagining a chaotic situation where the existing government, no matter how financially unstable, would be attempting to organize the citizens, who would most likely be in a state of mass panic and confusion.

Personally, I thnk that the US govt has money and resources in forms other than the USD, and would probably use it as an excuse to take their control one step further. Similar to the way the Pat act did after 9/11. to go one step further, I think that the economic collapse would be an organized thing for the sole purpose of enacting another 'Pat act'.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm only imagining a chaotic situation where the existing government, no matter how financially unstable, would be attempting to organize the citizens, who would most likely be in a state of mass panic and confusion.

Personally, I thnk that the US govt has money and resources in forms other than the USD, and would probably use it as an excuse to take their control one step further. Similar to the way the Pat act did after 9/11. to go one step further, I think that the economic collapse would be an organized thing for the sole purpose of enacting another 'Pat act'.

This is a hypothetical scenario:

The dollar collapses and the country faces depression. Many people are now out of work. The citizens are in a mass panic. Rioting is taking place in many cities. Enter the government with emergency jobs for the masses. Peacekeepers are hired to assist the Nat’l Guard and police forces to control the mobs. All government employees are issued RFID-bio ID cards.

As the country sinks into chaos, the government issues propaganda to turn citizens against each other. The government takes control of all private businesses. Anyone wishing to work will have to have “the ID card.” It is the only form of accepted ID and will be required for any financial transaction.

Civil war erupts and IDs are stolen and or forged. To combat this, the government begins chipping people. Anyone without the chip is held in detainment camps until they are willing to be chipped. Those “terrorist” who refuse the chip are killed on the spot.

Many people fear that the current government is waiting for any excuse to declare martial law. The above scenario would require a few years to develop into what I have described in a few paragraphs. It could happen. The question is: Will it?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I think that if anything even approaching this scenario occurred there would be multiple phases to the collapse.

Stage 1: The government would attempt to deny and/or minimize the problem by scrambling behind the scenes to shore-up the status quo while they attempt to find a quick solution.

Stage 2: It all starts to come unglued. There are product and service shortages. Panic, urban riots and wide spread looting break out. People who are able begin an exodus from the cities. Curfews and Marshal Law are imposed.

Stage 3: People retract to personal survival mode. Commerce has all but shut down. There is alot of looting and crime as people attempt to get the things they need to survive. Schools are closed. There are significant intrruptions in services. The government sets-up ration stations that are poorly managed, under-staffed and inefficient. There are riots at these stations and they become unsafe.

Stage 4: Mutual support networks start popping-up on the local level. Neighborhoods, especially outside the urban areas, begin to bind together. This trend begins to move outwards and government starts to decentralize to the county/state level. The federal government is mired in national security issues and mass defection of federal staff.

Stage 5: Large scale fault finding as the country begins to stabilize, albeit on a decentralized basis. The world economy at this point is in a massive depression because of the cessation of US trade. The standard of living in the US has fallen across the board.

... just my view. Everyone owes it to themselves and their familes to plan for this now. Create a stockpile of the things you'll need to survive for a period of several months at the minimum. I'm a child of the Cold War. I grew up in a home that always had food stores, water and essentials stockpiled. Maybe you'll live your life and never need them. But if something should happen and you do, you'll be screwed. I know, I know.... you have a REALLY big gun and will just go and get what you need. That only works if you don't happen to run into someone else who has their OWN really big gun. And then it's game over.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
the economic collapse, more realistically would more like hyper-inflation
of some items/products....and hyper-deflation of other goods/services.

an individual, queing in line for gov't rations, ration cards, food stamps,
or whatever will be investing lots of time for little reward...
it would be better to group up, and assign/volunteer individuals to certain
time consuming resource gathering.

BTW, if a collapse of Depression Type proportions does come,
i kinda think the coins & precious metals will be confiscated...
there's already many, many metal detectors out there...they will
only have to be placed in strategic places instead of airports or
sporting events as they are now.

the control of the masses by gov't, will outlaw trade & barter along with metals, we will get our meger sustinence from soup kitchens, Red-Cross & NGO/faith based providers must be certified & authorized by the authorities.
a revamped FEMA will play a role.
as will OPEC & the OIC, but that's all in a possible but improbable timeline

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This "is" the plan. A global Economic collapse is need to bring about the cashless society in order to issue Gov't credits for housing allowance, food allowance, entertainment allowance. The people are already slaves, they just don't realize it. A benefits comes with strings attached.
In order to get any gov't benefits you had to get the number of your name via social insurance/security number. This contracts you to the gov't.
The credits will be controlled & limited to your contribution to society. You will be allowed to only spend so much on junk food, booze, tranportation with fossils fuels.
This will be the ultimate politically correct system involving enviromentalism, health, morals, every aspect of your life will be controlled in order to continue to buy & sell.
People will welcome it with open arms after a decade or so of squalor & poverty.

Time to wake up.

I've posted this same artilcle in numerous finacial collapse threads not knowing which one is going to take off again.
Here is another nail in the coffin.

A scary article about the ecomonic collpase of the U.S.

"Now, I was never a conspiracy theorist. But, when one investigates money, and finds the economic deck stacked in such a way as to ensure the final collapse of the USD, one realizes that such deck stackings are not accidents by a long shot.

The USD situation is such now, that, the US is dependent upon financiers and central banks outside the US for its life blood - namely new credits."

www.kitco.com...

How many people are out there actually preparing for this? I am. I'm storing Gold, Silver, bullets, Whiskey, Chocolate, canned food.
Remember there will be 1001 excellent reasons to accept the mark of the beast.
Like to recieve a housing allowance, food allowance after the collapse.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
even if all the economys in the world collapsed life as usual would go on... forms of payment would be people doing favors for each other the way it should be! paper money only kills trees. numbers in a computer only uses up electrisity but memory in your head thats somthing diffrnent

top topics

join