It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon turning Japanese?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
- Generations are just something us lot on the net apply to aircraft, it doesn't matter a damn whether one is "next generation" or not, if the older aircraft is better, its better.

According to who or whom...you?
Aircraft generations has been around probably longer than you have been born.
As such, it matters or the Russians, among others, would not spend the time that they do in analysizing and then classifying those said "generations," eh?
Having said that, are you stipulating that the EF-2000 is better than the F-22, since of course, the EF-2000 is the "older" aircraft?

- The DERA research you quote was early 90s, and was based on projected capabilities of all 3 aircraft, I don't know how accurate it is.

Of course you do not "know how accurate it is."
Anything to keep your own beliefs, opinions, and mindset secured, huh?

I suppose a better definition than kill ratio would have been mission completion ratio - after all, thats what its all about isn't it? You don't use an F-16 for crop dusting do you, its overkill - do the Japanese need the F-22 or is it overkill (aka overspend)?

Apparently, the Japanese think and feel they may need the F-22 (China threat, etc), and after all is said and done, it is what the Japanese think that matters, being it is THEIR money that will buy the aircraft, correct?

Let me give you a like real world scenerio: if one is buying a car, does one buy the cheap car that gets from point A to point B (mission accomplished) or does one look to perhaps buy a car with added comfort, features, looks, etc. (mission accomplished, overkill and overspend)? In other words, does one buy the GEO Metro or Monte Carlo SS, for example?

seekerof

[edit on 27-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
For the record, I happen to have access to a well maintained, and “customized” 1971 Chevy Monte Carlo SS, and its a beast. Sorry, just had to say that, continue with the thread.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Aircraft design is a constant progression, 'generations' are merely convenient route markers along the way, nobody sits down to design the next generation of fighter, they just try to beat the other guy. Its the politico's and the ad men who talk of 'creating a new generation', not the engineers and designers. I think people get too hung up on what generation is this or that, it is a general rule, not a direct classification.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by waynos]

<< 1   >>

join