It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Megalodon Shark

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think there are a lot of 50-150 feet long "creatures" down there. I would say probably even bigger.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If they existed they wouldn't live in the deep because the pressure would kill them and their potential prey.

If they existed, they would be at the top of the oceanographic food chain, replacing great whites and orcas as the 'top dog' and would therefore be catalogued and evident to marine biologic science.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

I am just inquiring as to whether or not people believe the Megalodon Shark... still exists

I've got one in a fishtank. It's just a fry, but the tank takes up most of my garden.

reply to post by WyrdeOne

The oceans are pretty barren these days..not enough food to support stable populations of animals that size, it seems pretty unlikely.

There's some tasty squid down there.

the 495kg Colossal Squid to be defrosted at the end of April 2008 weighs in at a colossal 1089 lbs.

Source: www.tonmo.com... (page 2)

Sperm whales always make a nice snack too.

Sperm whales are believed to be able to dive up to 3 km (1.9 miles) in depth and 90 minutes in duration to the ocean floor.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Food for thought?

reply to post by moonrat

If they existed they wouldn't live in the deep because the pressure would kill them and their potential prey.

The whales & the squid seem to do OK.

If they existed, they would be at the top of the oceanographic food chain, replacing great whites and orcas as the 'top dog' and would therefore be catalogued and evident to marine biologic science.

Not if they generally only inhabit the abyss. Could just be atop another food chain.

Anyway, haven't you heard the rumors of a jellyfish that feeds exclusively on megalodon?..

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The History channeljust had a show on about the Megalodon. Even though it was about what it was in prehistoric times; I suppose that there could be one in the great depths of the oceans. Only 1% of the deep oceans have been researched; or something to that effect.

If it is still living down there, I'd hate to meet it or be the one to "rediscover it". The fossils they showed on the History channel showed it could crush through wale bones with easy.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
3 Megalodon sharks still exist. I sware on my grave Im not lying.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It's generally excepted that White sharks did not evolve from megladon but from a species of broad tooth mako. Fossil evidence seems to back this up. Mako,porbeagle,salmon,and White shark belong to the lamnidae family of sharks which are the most highly evolved of the sharks being warm blooded, having a faster metabolism,thus more prolific and faster breeding than megladon which was descended from lower order sharks. Infact some experts think the ancestor of the modern day White contributed to the extinction of megladon by outcompeting juvenile megladon. Megladon seems to vanish from the fossil record not long after the ancestor of the White shark makes its appearance.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Okay, the earth in about 70% water, we have explored maybe maybe 5% of said waters. We cant even get to the bottom of the deepest parts of it. I think there could be a population of Megalodons way out in the depths of the ocean. Look at the marihanas trench, its suposed to be something like 7 miles deep. Who knows what all is down there. I really wouldnt be shocked to find out they do exist.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
what would they eat that's around today that would fill it's appetite??

they can fit a VW bug in the jaws of one of these megalodon fossil jaws.

blue whale babies for breakfast?

-

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
In regards to squid, there is the regular squid, the giant squid, and don't they hypothesize that there is an even larger squid that is yet to be discovered. And a megalodon would probably live in the wide open ocean, it would seem something that big wouldn't feed on the smaller marine life that you find nearer the shores. I would suspect that they would whales, or squid, or maybe even other sharks. Besides which, we know nothing of what lies beneath the surface. Man would i be freaked out if I was going like a mile deep in a one of those research submarines. You can't really see and all of a sudden something huge could just pop out at you and take you down. The ocean is incredibly interesting, and its sad that our governments don't put more money to understand the depth. Imagine if we had a similar program as NASA for the ocean.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
was C. Megalodan bigger than the whale shark of today?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LovingSoul

I believe this to be a true and accurate account of a Megalodon sighting.

The problem we have with finding the Megalodon is that we are looking for a Massive Great White Shark

The Megalodon is not a Great White in Fact a predator as voracious fast and high in metabolism as a Great White is an Anomaly not the rule

Megalodon aside from also being in the Shark Family and Having big teeth is NOT anything like a Great White

MY Theory of the Megalodon

1: It is slow, ponderous even compared to most sharks

2: It scavenges Most of it's food from Carcasses at the bottom of the Ocean which leaves it 99% of it's time at great depths, this is why we haven't noticed them

Like the T Rex theory far from a monster killing machine which it can be, it's huge teeth and giant mouth serve a purpose of crunching through the bones and shells of larger already deceased sea creatures

It's stealing of the cray pots confirms to me a bit of validity, in terms of my theory, it would be doing exactly that... stealing tidbits of food from the ocean shore having come up because it was hungry.

3: It mostly lives at great depths but like the squid and whale but better is perfectly capable of surviving at whatever depth it needs to in search of food, it's startling White Color also fits my theory that it is a deep sea creature most of it's life

4: Being slow it has less of a need for food than a great white of it's size, often it would prefer to feed, not unlike an anaconda consuming an entire whale carcass or giant squid then heading to a bottom spot to sleep for months at a time perhaps.

5: It would have given it's massive size... a very long life span and mate very infrequently not a species that groups in any way 99% of it's life solitary and the entire ocean as it's territory, pairs very rarely coming together, a very slow breeder, existing in very small numbers always an endangered species with handfuls prowling the ocean at any given time. But a long enough life span and no natural predators beyond reaching size X it manages to survive living off the corpses of larger sea creatures

6: Of live food it probably has a diet of crustaceans and shell fish, lobsters, sea turtles giant clams and other large mollusks of the ocean floor which compose it's live food diet, being able to easily penetrate the shells with it's massive Jaws

So this is my image of the Megalodon, not a fast moving highly predatory Carnivore like the Great White, but a slow scavenger noshing on large shellfish while seeking out the rare carcasses of large Sea creatures from the ocean. Not the Whale carcasses themselves but the BONES the Marrow which inevitable end up on the sea bed floor... this is why the one in the story didn't care about the cray fish being in the pots... it's designed to discard materials like Bone from it's digestive system and reach the gooey goodness inside, same for giant clam shells etc

a slow sleepy beast with giant teeth designed for crunching through bone and shell

Not an ravenous fast moving shark

To find the Megalodon...

We need to look for massive Megalodon Excrement littered with bone and shell fragments at the very bottom of the ocean floor, it would be very distinct in size and remains of bone material easy to identify

[edit on 10-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

there are so many undiscovered species of life in the ocean, its hard not to say they dont exist....

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Yes, we need to get to the bottom of the ocean to find this evidence and the Megalodon itself, but we are unable to GET to the bottom of the deepest oceans....

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Originally posted by ZikhaN
I think there are a lot of 50-150 feet long "creatures" down there. I would say probably even bigger.

i belive that there could be a megalodon down there SOMEWHERE, but i don't belive whatsoever that there is a whole bunch of creatures swimming around down there that are 150 ft long, or bigger.

the ocean is big, but its only so big.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by lazzarus]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by lazzarus

Just a bit haha.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville

Originally posted by lazzarus

Just a bit haha.

i thought so but wanted to make sure. i read on a site (ill have to try and find it) but they said that the megalodan wasn't nowhere near as big as people say, it was more the size of 40 ft at its biggest, and that it wasn't the most dangerous predator of its day. what do you think of that?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
There are 50 meter long animals down there in the abyss. But they are long and thin unlike a megalodon.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The existence of colossal squid has only been verified recently, and it seems the last fifty years has seen the discovery of the coelacanth. We don't even know how big the colossal squid can be, bigger specimens keep getting found. With the latest the sex still needs to be determined.

As stated by a couple of other posters, surely a megalodon could feed on such creatures and gods know what else that may be down there and never catches our attention.

Entirely plausible that it still exists, absence of evidence not withstanding the possibility.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

This is the best and most logical description of a megalodon that I have ever read . I so wish that I could live up to the day when humans figure a way to penetrate the massive depths of our oceans . I love the mysteries of the water and the depths , that is why i became a diver

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join