It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon 02W (Chanchu)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Greetings...

I just happened to be going through my favorites when I clicked on the Joint Typhoon website and read
Super Typhoon 02W (Chanchu) Warning #26

I did a little research to see if there was any news about it:
Tropical Storm Chanchu Leaves at Least 32 Dead in Philippines

Here is what the Honk Kong Observatory 7-day Weather Forcast is predicting.

You can also see Chanchu's devolopment under the Northwest Pacific (WV), (IR), or (VIS) drop down menu:
Joint Typhoon Warning Center Satellite Animator

Whoa...just remembered these scriptures:

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars: and in the earth the people shall be in such perplexity, that they shall not tell which way to turn themselves. The sea and the waters shall roar, and mens hearts shall fail them for fear, and for looking after those things which shall come on the earth. For the powers of heaven shall move. And then shall they see the son of man come in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to come to pass: then look up, and lift up your heads for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luke 21)

Hmm...Can someone help me find the current Category? I searched online and came upon
Jim's Blog at Accuweather.com but that was for May 12, 2006.

Just a sec...just found this on Wikipedia 2006 Pacific typhoon season article:

Current storm information: As of 0000 UTC May 15, Super Typhoon Chanchu (Caloy) was about 495 nm (920 km) South of Hong Kong, moving WNW slowly. It was packing sustained winds of 135 knots (250 km/h) (using a one-minute mean), according to the JTWC, making it a Category 4 super typhoon based on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. The official RSMC, RSMC Tokyo, places the storm with maximum sustained winds of 90 kts using a ten-minute mean, which is typically considerably lower than the wind speed measured using a one-minute mean. Chanchu is expected to intensify to Category 5 intensity before weakening and making landfall near Hong Kong and Guangzhou, China.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

God Bless

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Here is the latest from Accuweather.com:
Typhoon Chanchu a Threat to Hong Kong

Typhoon Chanchu, located in the South China Sea, continues to strengthen, and now has sustained winds near 140 mph. The typhoon is expected to turn more northward during the day Monday, then pose a serious threat to Hong Kong by Wednesday. Chanchu could strengthen further before reaching the coast.

Also here is something I pulled up from NASA's Natural Hazards Earth Observatory Website:

Severe Storms >>> Typhoon Chanchu

Any ATS'ers in Hong Kong right now?

God Bless

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Here's a track map I slapped together that will give you an idea on the intensity and forecast of typhoon Chanchu aka Caloy.

125 kts = 144 mph
130 kts = 150 mph
135 kts = 155 mph
140 kts = 161 mph
145 kts = 167 mph
150 kts = 173 mph

More info here:
Hong Kong Obervatory
Hong Kong Radar
Traffic webcams of Hong Kong

Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Hurricane Alley

Sat images of Chanchu:

(click thumbs to enlarge images)

So far this season is starting out with a big bang in regards to major cyclones.

Take care Hong Kong!

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Thanks Regenmacher...

I was wondering where I could find live webcams in Hong Kong.

~DearWife

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hi, I am in Hong Kong now. The standby signal “number one” is in force right now. Things are still quite normal in this state. From the latest track views, it seems like we are not going to get a direct hit by ChanChu. However, I am kind of worry about the people in the Guangzhou area.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Yes, it seems a really powerful one.
Any idea of the Cat. ? (Would it be a 3 or higher?) I feel sorry for those on its path.

Take care, KJay and please, keep us updated.

Thank you.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KJay
Hi, I am in Hong Kong now. The standby signal “number one” is in force right now. Things are still quite normal in this state. From the latest track views, it seems like we are not going to get a direct hit by ChanChu. However, I am kind of worry about the people in the Guangzhou area.

Please keep us posted!

I believe this is a "La Nina" year, and that will also contribute to the storms being worse than usual.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No La Niña: ENSO-neutral conditions prevail at this time and forecasted to remain that way for the next 3-6 months. It's actually closer to El Niño conditions.

Weekly ENSO Update

Typhoon Chanchu is weakening and the storm's forecast track has drifted farther East.

TY 02W WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY WEAKEN DUE TO A REDUCTION IN
POLEWARD OUTFLOW AND AS THE MIDLATITUDE TROUGH APPROACHING FROM THE
NORTHWEST USHERS IN AN UNFAVORABLE WIND SHEAR ENVIRONMENT. EXTRA-
TROPICAL TRANSITION COMMENCING AROUND TAU 48 AND LANDFALL SHORTLY
THEREAFTER WILL WEAKEN THE STORM SIGNIFICANTLY. JTWC

Reading Current Conditions: Go to NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology, click on 02W.CHANCHU and then on its satellite image. The header text on top of the satellite image it will show the knots and pressure for the storm.

example:
20060515.1900.meteo5.x.ir1km_bw.02WCHANCHU.110kts-933mb-162N-1151E.100pc.jpg
(Chanchu is 110 knots with a pressure of 933 millibars)

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here's an update on Chanchu:
620,000 evacuated in southern China as Typhoon Chanchu nears

BEIJING (AFP) - Some 620,000 people were evacuated from southern China as Typhoon Chanchu, the strongest storm to hit the region at this time of year, churned towards the coastal province of Guangdong.

God Bless

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
"Hi China, this is my friend Katrina......."

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Here is an article from www.chinaview.cn 2006-05-18 19:45:40
Typhoon Chanchu kills 11, leaves 4 missing in China

BEIJING, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Chanchu has killed 11 people and left 4 others missing in China by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, latest government statistics show.

Meanwhile, more than one million people have been moved to safety in the two provinces, including 709,000 in Fujian and 327,000 in Guangdong, statistics show. Enditem

Here's a link to some images of Chanchu's impact on Yahoo! News

God Bless

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Here is a good link to this storms information.

Seems like the winds are dying down now, currently at 55kt. Many people in the area though.

source

Shows the whole histroy of this storm day by day, including effected population numbers, wind speed etc.

top topics

join