It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Navy to buy SU-27s

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The Mexican Navy is supposed to buy 10 SU-27 Flankers to agument their coastal patrols.

Mexico’s Navy plans to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft
MEXICO CITY, April 27 (Prime-Tass)
The Mexican Navy intends to buy Russian SU-27 fighter aircraft, Undersecretary of the Mexican Navy Admiral Armando Sanchez Moreno told the Mexican newspaper El Universal.

The Mexican Navy also considered bids submitted by Russia and Sweden and decided to choose Russia's SU-27 fighters, Moreno said, according to the paper.

The Mexican Navy plans to set up an air defense unit using SU-27 aircraft, Moreno said. Ivan Goncharenko, deputy general director of Russia’s government-owned military export company Rosoboronexport, confirmed Thursday talks with Mexico about the SU-27 purchase. He did not elaborate.

This could make the airspace over the Southwest border of the US very interesting.

Mexico to Buy SU-27s

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
sound's cool!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I guess the Su27 is a excellent plane for that role as it has a large range without external fueltanks.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
How would 10 Su-27's supposedly to be bought by the Mexican government supposed to make things over the Southwest border of the united States interesting?

Just curious.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
How would 10 Su-27's supposedly to be bought by the Mexican government supposed to make things over the Southwest border of the united States interesting?

Just curious.

Maybe it's be a great chance for the airpower enthusiasts to do some "bird watching" ?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Interesting only if we're bird watching.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
it will make things interesting because of the way that historically(from what i have read) we just walk over there and do what we want. 10 su27's would make that a bit more difficult

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by slywitboy
it will make things interesting because of the way that historically(from what i have read) we just walk over there and do what we want. 10 su27's would make that a bit more difficult

Actually, historically they just walk in here and do what they want. Also, 10 Su-27’s will not pose a challenge to the US military if that's what you're suggesting.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Depends on the pilots. Ten Su-27's definatly wouldn't win a war, but they are capable of wreaking a lot of havoc in the air. Now although I doubt the US is going to go to war with Mexico any time soon, this could lead to some very interesting wargames at least.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Does anyone know if there are any fighter bases in texas?

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yes, there are plenty of USAF air bases in Texas an elsewhere within the United States. Below is an extensive list of USAF bases and facilities.
Also, lets not turn this into a US v. Mexico thing, it would be pointless, lets just focus on Mexico and their ten new planes.

USAF Bases

[edit on 13-5-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Nobody with the 10 Su-27s = 1 Raptor bit yet?!

Sorry couldn't resist..

No troll/bait intended..

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Nobody with the 10 Su-27s = 1 Raptor bit yet?!

Sorry couldn't resist..

No troll/bait intended..

Exactly...

Well, I think it's good news... Su-27 can be a good plane to scare peoples with...

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Depends on the pilots. Ten Su-27's definatly wouldn't win a war, but they are capable of wreaking a lot of havoc in the air. Now although I doubt the US is going to go to war with Mexico any time soon, this could lead to some very interesting wargames at least.

They would prabably not have a chance even against F-15 with AESA, not to mention when those F-15 recieve AWACS support. It would be interesting turkey shooting, nothing more.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am surprised that it is the old Su-27 and not the newer export Su-30's that they are interested in. Perhaps pricing is what made them decide on the Su-27.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
They would prabably not have a chance even against F-15 with AESA, not to mention when those F-15 recieve AWACS support. It would be interesting turkey shooting, nothing more.

Look, someone jumped on it.

And you are not even vaguely hinting at Mexico attacking the US (or vice versa), are you ?

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I was just attempting to correct the assumption about 10 Su-27 "wreaking a havoc". Actually I'm surprised they bought just 10 planes. It's not very smart if you take all those maintance costs associated with new type of plane into the account.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm surprised the US didn't make an offer of F-16's or F-18's. I guess when it comes to security they don't trust Mexico at all...

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
I'm surprised the US didn't make an offer of F-16's or F-18's. I guess when it comes to security they don't trust Mexico at all...

Maybe they offered but Mexican govt said them to GFY. Another reason to kick all illegals out.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon

I think it is a matter of Mexico not trusting the US. When I said interesting I was referring to the jump in capability that these planes would give Mexico over the aircraft they currently use. Some people may consider that a threat.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join