It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we hinder goverment secret projects?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
In the world of conspiracy theories, do you think we ever hinder the projects and activities that our goverments work on?

I can't help wondering sometimes that whilst the search for the truth continues, maybe sometimes we interfere and do too much investigating into subjects we should be leaving well alone.

From veiwing the posts here on ATS, and i'm sure it's the same on other conspiracy sites, i am pretty sure that a large percentage of members would post information of a secret nature if they were ever to come by it. I imagine it would be a major street cred boost if you were to come across something you should'nt, and i can just imagine the thread appearing within minutes with a big blue flashing light next to it.

For example, say a member found documents outlining the secret to stealth technology discarded in the bin somewhere (please don't say this would'nt happen, i think we all know what can turn up in the trash at times!:@@
, what would you do with that info? Hand it in to the relevant authorities, or would your mind automatically turn to how many points you'd get in ATS with this lol? Saying that though, i'm pretty sure a find like this would'nt be around on a public forum for too long, and i wonder if ATS management would even want it here?

All the talk about getting into Area 51 is another one. Yes i know the security usualy deals with curious conspiracy theorists way before they get anywhere near the place, but what if someone succeeded and blew the lid on top secret aircraft, in turn giving away secrets to other nations?

As far as deep searching on the net is concerned, my thinking is that if a subject is that secret, don't put it on the net, and usualy it should'nt be on here anyway. Yet whilst many including myself hail Gary McKinnon as a hero for trying to find proof of UFO's in a better way than we ever could, how much damage could he do if he saw things that benefited us as long as it was secret, then blabbed about that?

In addition to my thread title, maybe i should ask the question, "If you were to find information of the highest secrecy, what would you do with it?"
I'd like to think most people would do the right thing, but what is the right thing?

We constantly ask questions, very searching questions at times, yet i wonder how many times the government has had to divert or change projects because we have been closer to the truth for comfort?

Despite all that.......keep up the good work folks!

CX.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
For example, say a member found documents outlining the secret to stealth technology discarded in the bin somewhere (please don't say this would'nt happen, i think we all know what can turn up in the trash at times!:@@
, what would you do with that info? Hand it in to the relevant authorities, or would your mind automatically turn to how many points you'd get in ATS with this lol? Saying that though, i'm pretty sure a find like this would'nt be around on a public forum for too long, and i wonder if ATS management would even want it here?

It all depends if you tresspassed private property to access that trash bin, you gonna be in trouble for finding the secret documents. Otherwise, if you did not sign any NDA or are not holding a security clearance, as far as I know there's no laws preventing you from discussing secret documents in a public forum. Of course, if you were personally involved in the stealing or leakage of that secret info then you're gonna be in big trouble, that's common sense. But discussing secret info already available to the general public is not a crime, no need to pop your eyeballs out to unsee the info.

Take for example the Air Force One aircraft plans are still circulating around on the intarwebs. I would guess the U.S. Air Force employee who mistakenly disclosed those files out in the open must have gotten his own butt served on a platter for doing so. But I'm not aware of any civilians ever getting in trouble for passing along those files around or discussing it in public forums, you know, a public forum self-censoring itself would be foolish at that point because the bad guys already have the info by now.

In addition to my thread title, maybe i should ask the question, "If you were to find information of the highest secrecy, what would you do with it?" I'd like to think most people would do the right thing, but what is the right thing?

Difficult judge the right thing to do in advance without knowing the circumstances, it's to be treated on a case by case basis. If the info would have a good entertainment value without putting anybody's life in danger, why the hell not discussing it? But on the other hand if it deals with sensitive info, I would keep my mouth shut. A good example I can think of, let's say I found lists of social security numbers in the dumpster behind a bank, I would immediately turn the documents to the authorities and take every actions in my power to get that bank punished, only a total scumbag would post that kind of private info on the internet.

new topics

join