It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI6

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Greetings all , i hope you are well.

First off i am here to talk about MI6.
You know...get some answers, find out about them that sort of thing.
i guess my main question is Who Are They Working For And What Is there Purpouse??
Generally i would also like to disscuss this group as well.

Omega

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Omega85]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... Im not saying its all fact but its a start... follow links if you can.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hello Omega85,

Here's a bit of info, can you believe a secret intelligence service has a public website.

A history of the British SIS

The origins of the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) lie in the decision made by the Committee for Imperial Defence in 1909 to create a Secret Service Bureau. This date marks the first time when Britain had a formally established and permanent intelligence service. But the history of British intelligence organizations, engaged in foreign intelligence collection and in the interception of mail and messages, goes back at least to the secons half of the 15th Century. Thomas Cromwell ran secret agents in Europe on behalf of Henry IIV. Sir Francis Walsingham developed expertise in secret interception, as well as maintaining a network of fifty secret agents abroad while Private Secretary to Elizabeth I.

The Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), more commonly known as MI6 (originally Military Intelligence Section 6), or the Secret Service or simply Six, is the United Kingdom's external security agency.

SIS is responsible for the United Kingdom's espionage activities overseas, as opposed to MI5 which is charged with internal security within the UK. The Republic of Ireland also falls within MI5's remit. It was founded in October 1909 (along with MI5) as the Foreign Section of the Secret Service Bureau. Its first director was Captain Sir George Mansfield Smith-Cumming, who, often dropping the "Smith", used his initial "C" as a code name which was also used by all subsequent directors of SIS (compare with "M" in Ian Fleming's James Bond novels).

MI6 ad for 'operational officers'

Britain's Secret Intelligence Service - popularly known as MI6 - has launched its first public recruitment campaign.
A half-page advert in the Times careers supplement offers jobs for "operational officers", technology experts and "thoroughly efficient administrators".

It also features a montage of images including a gun, desert, jungle, plane, and the service's headquarters on the Thames at Vauxhall in central London.

Hopfully this should help you learn a bit about MI6.

Although we only hear about MI5 and MI6, I can't help but wonder if there are other clandestine groups or agencies which silently move around the world to help keep the political status quo. In fact it wouldn't suprise in the least if there was some sort of mixed intellignce agency much like the French Foreign Legion. But I guess we will never know or at least not for a very long time.

[edit on 9/5/06 by Nikolaos2030]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
There are other groups. But elements of those 2 groups are always involved in them in some way (mainly because of support elements they have), mostly the right hand doesn't know whats the left doings, Every things comes down to who needs to know, the more sensitive it is, the less people will know about the matter.
Think of them as a jigsaw puzzle, you may be working on piece, and thats all, you may get to fit a couple together, someone higher up may get too make one straight side, another to find all the corner pieces, but nobody will see the whole picture apart from a select few.

Not all ops would be like that, some would be alot easier.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by yeehaa]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
HMmmmmmm groovey people
i have heared there is a MI5 as well.

Omega

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
HMmmmmmm groovey people
i have heared there is a MI5 as well.

Omega

You are quite correct.

MI5 or Military Intelligence Section 5 is more involved in the internal affairs of the United Kingdom.

Wiki - MI5

The Security Service, usually called MI5 (originally Military Intelligence Section 5), is the British counter-intelligence and security agency. Its remit covers the protection of British parliamentary democracy and economic interests, and fighting serious crime, militant separatism, terrorism and espionage within the United Kingdom. It is mainly concerned with internal security, whilst the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) looks after external security. The Republic of Ireland is the only exception to this, as it is the only state to share a land border with the United Kingdom. Within the government community, MI5 is colloquially known as Box (after its official wartime address of PO Box 500 and its current address—PO Box 3255, London SW1P 1AE) or simply Five. The organisation is based since 1995 at Thames House, Millbank, London. Previous headquarters have been 140, (aka "Russian House") Gower Street, 1976-95; Leconfield House, Curzon Street, 1945-76; and 124-26, Cromwell Road, 193?-37. The sites at Gower and Curzon Streets are now demolished.

Nikolaos

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
While I have the utmost respect for MI6, I think they need to spend a little less money on the aesthetic appeal of their Headquarters.

Now that is a beautiful building , haha.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Another thought... I was hoping one of you Brits could answer this. What happened to MI1-MI4. Were those colonial offices intelligence offices?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I believe that the perious MI-----'s Were all responsible for different areas, they were all shall we say downsized and made more efficent operations into just 1 centre, the SIS

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It's a suprise to many people that there were departments numbered up to MI19!

MI1- responsible for codebreaking
MI2- responsible for Russian and Scandinavian intelligence
MI3- responsible for Eastern Europe intelligence
MI4- responsible for geography intelligence
MI7- propaganda and censorship
MI8- radio security service (tracked german radio transmitions during the blitz)
MI9- aiding european resistance, recovering soldiers from behind enemy lines and contacting prisoners of war
MI10- weapons and technical analysis
MI11- military security
MI12- liaison with censorship organisations in Ministry of Information, military censorship
MI13- (never used)
MI14- German intelligence
MI15- aerial photography
MI16- scientific intelligence
MI17- secretariat for Director of Military Intelligence
MI18- (never used)
MI19- obtaining information from foreign prisoners of war

I think all of these have been absorbed by MI6 and GCHQ.

[edit on 9/5/06 by gfad]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Mi6 and Mi5's logo is the pyramid isn't it? If so then follow the Pyramid. Although it'll take you all the way to the Israeli Supreme court. The USD pyramid just happens to be their logo to.

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
USD, I assume the 1$ bill. I thought all MI "logo's" were of the Crown. What are you trying to say. And Israel.....i'm an ardent anti-Zionist so roll with that, what the hell are you talking about?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crazy_Mr_Crowley
Mi6 and Mi5's logo is the pyramid isn't it? If so then follow the Pyramid. Although it'll take you all the way to the Israeli Supreme court. The USD pyramid just happens to be their logo to.

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

MI5 and MI6 is the pyramid, although I did not know this I had a quick look on google and came up with this.

Weird, it does have an all seeing eye at the top of the pyramid.

Does anyone know what the I, M and V stand for?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I dont think what you are saying is accurate at all. Obviously the triangle appears on the google search but no where on the MI5 website. The actual MI5 logo is the crest with what I think is a griffin on. Maybe the triangle was an old logo I'm not sure.

Also for the record MI6 doesn't even exist anymore, it is now known as the SIS (secret intelligence service) and I cant find any evidence of its logo being linked to pyramids or triangles.

And what are you saying about Israel ... it didnt seem to make any sense.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
I dont think what you are saying is accurate at all. Obviously the triangle appears on the google search but no where on the MI5 website. The actual MI5 logo is the crest with what I think is a griffin on. Maybe the triangle was an old logo I'm not sure.

Yes it was old logo, from the 50's to the 70's. It is no longer in use today. It still begs the question of WHY they used the pyramid and all seeing on the logo?

I got it from this website.

Also for the record MI6 doesn't even exist anymore, it is now known as the SIS (secret intelligence service) and I cant find any evidence of its logo being linked to pyramids or triangles.

And what are you saying about Israel ... it didnt seem to make any sense.

It is known by both names, outside of the organization.

www.sis.gov.uk...

'MI6' has become an almost interchangeable title for SIS, at least in the minds of those outside the Service. The origins of the use of this other title are to be found in the late 1930s when it was adopted as a flag of convenience for SIS. It was used extensively during the Second World War, especially if an organisational link needed to be made with MI5 (the Security Service). Although 'MI6' fell into official disuse years ago, many writers and journalists continue to use it to describe SIS.

The modern history project

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It doesnt really matter what its known as ... MI6 just doesnt exist anymore, but I'm being ridiculously picky anyway.

I think its pretty obvious why the "all seeing eye" was chosen as the logo of an intelligience agency. For centuries the all seeing eye has been a symbol for knowledge and omniscience ... the exact things an intelligence agency want to portray themselves as and their own objectives.

I really dont see any conspiracy.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
if you want to find out a bit more outher than whats already been posted here times over and over check out their website see if you can get a job their I know my cousin tried and actually got an interview lol.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
I really dont see any conspiracy.

No, I don't either but its good to keep an open mind.

All Seeing Eye - Wiki

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikolaos2030

M=Military, I=Intelligence, V=5

Put it all together, MI5

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79

Originally posted by Nikolaos2030

M=Military, I=Intelligence, V=5

Put it all together, MI5

M = Military, ok

I = Intelligence, ok

V = 5, huh

I thought it was Military Intelligence Section 5. Surely the V should be an S??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join