It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiery debris linked to strange new planets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Fiery debris linked to strange new planets

Citing the first direct evidence that the fiery debris of a dying star may swirl around long after the star is obliterated, MIT astrophysicists report in the April 6 issue of Nature that this orbiting disk of debris could also lead to the birth of strange new planets.

This first-of-its-kind observation of a disk of debris around a long-dead star, made with NASA's infrared Spitzer Space Telescope, could be the long-sought missing link behind the existence of the first planets discovered outside our solar system. In 1992, three Earth-sized planets were observed circling an exploded star called a pulsar. The MIT finding confirms what researchers had surmised from indirect evidence: These exotic planets were probably formed out of a dusty debris disk.

"When the planetary system around the pulsar was discovered, people generally agreed that the planets were probably formed from a disk," said lead author Zhongxiang Wang, a postdoctoral fellow with the MIT Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research.

Yet searches for disks around old pulsars proved fruitless -- until now. "Our work, the discovery of such a disk, strongly supports the suggestion that planets form around pulsars from residual disks," Wang said.

"Pulsars emit a tremendous amount of high-energy radiation, yet within this harsh environment, we have a disk that looks a lot like those around young stars where planets are formed," said principal investigator Deepto Chakrabarty, associate professor of physics with the MIT Kavli Institute.

Evidence for fallback
Massive stars more than 10 times the mass of the sun end their lives in supernova explosions. These dying stars collapse under their own weight, flinging material far into space. The incredibly dense remaining core can become a rapidly spinning pulsar, a type of neutron star. A neutron star is the size of a city but with about the same mass as the sun.

You can read more on the site

Well first things first. Do you actually think a new planet will be born?
And if it actually does. Does it means that the future planet(s) will be just like earth?
And i'm not saying dinasours,humans,water etc.
But just a complete new world, with new life and plants maybe even new elements/materials?

However, a massive star is a nuclear furnace that converts hydrogen into all of the other elements. And, the supernova explosion itself can provide more nuclear tricks. So the material that makes up the disk, instead of being mostly hydrogen, could be mostly iron, nickel or cobalt, and will likely contain all sorts of other interesting elements. What's more, the disk is constantly bathed in the X-ray light of the pulsar, creating an extremely harsh environment.

So now that they sad that. and IF it is true.
I think maybe even new alien species could evolve on those future planets.
But they sad it probably would generate a harsh extreme enviroment, So you think a human maybe could survive there? And those future ''new species'' probably will adapt to their enviroment etc.
I don't think so. But i'm interested in other peoples opinions/suggestions.

- MB

[edit on 2-5-2006 by meridian_blood_29387423]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Holy #### dude !
Men i think there could be another planet born in a few years.. maybe months?
With new materials etc..

But i dont think we can life there maybe we cant..
I hope we can life there caus.. there are so much ppl now on this earth.. i mean.. if we go any farther the world explode caus we have to many ppl on earth

And the oil is almost gone.. so we need another fuel.. but there are cars that are for 50 procent on elektriciti so its 'goes the straight way

But what if there comes another planet and the alliens roam it !

- Then we need to kill the alliens first and then we can life there ..

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1337nessCas
Holy #### dude !
Men i think there could be another planet born in a few years.. maybe months?
With new materials etc..

But i dont think we can life there maybe we cant..
I hope we can life there caus.. there are so much ppl now on this earth.. i mean.. if we go any farther the world explode caus we have to many ppl on earth

And the oil is almost gone.. so we need another fuel.. but there are cars that are for 50 procent on elektriciti so its 'goes the straight way

But what if there comes another planet and the alliens roam it !

- Then we need to kill the alliens first and then we can life there ..

Hahah! Oh man you're making me laugh with the ''kill the aliens'' part.
First things first. Planets aren't born/made in days or Months or Years or decades or centuries
But it takes (depends on the structure and the materials) Milljons/Billjons of years for a not jet born planet to orbit and create
And yes, indeed. there are coming TO MANY people here on earth. but the thing is. that planet will probably (if its true) complete in a couple of milljon years. So i think we're extint by then. and there will probably be new races on other planets.
And something else. I think it would be cooler when we not kill the aliens. but be friends with them and learn from their body structures and brains.
Yo

- MB

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It's not possible that a human could survive the radiation thrown out by a Neutron Star, at least not at this stage of development. However species evolving in this environment would turn out rather interesting I imagine. but they would likely live in the X Ray spectrum considering the radiation being emitted into the debris.. which means to us they would be invisible.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seether
It's not possible that a human could survive the radiation thrown out by a Neutron Star, at least not at this stage of development. However species evolving in this environment would turn out rather interesting I imagine. but they would likely live in the X Ray spectrum considering the radiation being emitted into the debris.. which means to us they would be invisible.

Indeed. Not in this stage. But i think it maybe will be possible when the planet is ''finished''. And by then, The human race probably has a high tech advance technology.
And the invisible species will indeed be invisible. But only for the naked eye.
We already have X-ray vision. So when the planet is fully completed in the future, we'll probably have something to see ''them''.
So i'm expecting quite alot of things from this new planet. But then again... It could just change in a huge ice planet, or (I highly doubt this) a superheated planet.
All of this doesn't mean it will be a planet just like the earth. And i'm not saying humans,water etc. Just different things.
So it actually could go in alot of directions.

- MB

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Scientists have found more than 155 planets outside our solar system so far.

exoplanets.org...

[edit on 2-5-2006 by toogood]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by toogood
Scientists have found more than 155 planets outside our solar system so far.

exoplanets.org...

Hm.. seems like there are alot more planets close to the systems of the earth.
Interesting site. Thanks

- MB

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I hope we discover other planets were we can life.. like maybe with sort if dino's but shorter and alliens and stuff

Its a little crazy but who knows?

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I hope we discover other planets were we can life.. like maybe with sort if dino's but shorter and alliens and stuff

Its a little crazy but who knows?

Well. I don't know about the dino's. I don't think so.
Because that planet is totally different from ours. That means we probably will get creatures beyond our fantasy. Probably creatures we never could imagine.
Maybe we even discover a new Category (you know. Flora, fauna etc.) EVRYTHING could happen.
The ideas and possibilities of that planet are unknown and it could go in milljons of directions of what could grow or not grow there.
You still gotta think of that one thing. It's a very different planet than ours. Things will probably go beyond our fantasy and mind.
Hope we'll ever get the chance to see it. but i highly doubt that.
Man, I'm pretty exited about this.

- MB

[edit on 3-5-2006 by meridian_blood_29387423]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Yeah.. maybe we discover other planets in the end of 2103 or something i just say some numbers.. but i think that we never see another planet.. maybe my childs will see that.. or there childs..
We never know.. But maybe we will see it in the end of our lifes that would be cool dude

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ummm... has anyone thought about such important things as HEAT?

I mean, these planets would be around dead stars, right? A dead star means no heat. No heat means everything's frozen. The possibility of life on a planet, new or otherwise, circling around a dead star is non-existant.

By the same token, all these "earth-sized" planets discovered outside our solar system, but which are part of our system, would be so cold as to be approaching the cold vacuum of space.

In other words, a planet does not life make.

This is before we factor in any other things such as radiation. Also, if it's main components would be heavy elements, then there's likely not much in terms of atmospheres either.

These planets are suredly dead planets.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
But what if the planet get next to the sun you have heat right?

Or we buld a coupel on the planet so we can live in there?

It all can happen dude.. maybe we never get to know

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yeah.. maybe we discover other planets in the end of 2103 or something i just say some numbers.. but i think that we never see another planet.. maybe my childs will see that.. or there childs..
We never know.. But maybe we will see it in the end of our lifes that would be cool dude

Well. We will DISCOVER planets ofcourse. we allready discovered 150 planets outside our solar system.
But that new planet that is orbitting (the one of my thread) Nobody will see that planet i think. Dude, it doesn't take 100 years for a planet to be made. not thousands of years. not 10.000 years. (depends on the gasses and the materials) it would take MILLJONS of years. And no humna would see that new planet.. We're all probably extint by then. Our planet is already dieing so you think we would see that new planet? Nah ah.
So it will be Maybe around the year: 1000000 maybe even 1000000000 when the planet is made? So. We'll probably never see that planet.
Ahh well. Just gotta do it with The moon, Mars, Jupiter etc.

- MB

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
Ummm... has anyone thought about such important things as HEAT?

I mean, these planets would be around dead stars, right? A dead star means no heat. No heat means everything's frozen. The possibility of life on a planet, new or otherwise, circling around a dead star is non-existant.

By the same token, all these "earth-sized" planets discovered outside our solar system, but which are part of our system, would be so cold as to be approaching the cold vacuum of space.

In other words, a planet does not life make.

This is before we factor in any other things such as radiation. Also, if it's main components would be heavy elements, then there's likely not much in terms of atmospheres either.

These planets are suredly dead planets.

Well Yarium. Maybe we humans (and all the animals) can't life on those kind of ''habitats'' But that doesn't mean alien life also can't life on that habitat? maybe their bodies need something totally different. And maybe they can life without oxygen,water etc. it is alien life you know. Totally different than the earths life. If you know what i mean. If WE can't life without oxygen, water etc. doesn't mean alien life also can't life without it.
And i never said that i was 100 % sure there would evolve alien life there. I also said that it just could become a bold planet.
And as i said before. It could go in alot of directions.

- MB

[edit on 3-5-2006 by meridian_blood_29387423]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yeah dude
But it will took along time when the new planets comes caus i think when we die the come caus it tooks along time to let the nature makes a new planet

Peace out Mike!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yhep. When there is no human anymore. When the earth is whiped out or just bold.
When we already destroyed our planet.
And a scoop of a couple of milljon years.
And by then that planet is probably ''born''

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes men i hope so..
But we dont have something to do with it.. caus probarly whe are already dead when the planet comes..

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
As i said 100 times before. no human would probably see the full planet.
Unless we invent a speed-up device hehe.
Het never thought of that..
Hehe, I'm feeling a idea come up..

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Surely this planet is currently forming, doesn't light take millions of years to reach Earth, we could simply be looking at this planets Creation, who knows what is there now.

(Probably still cooling or forming, these things take much longer)

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Periphery
Surely this planet is currently forming, doesn't light take millions of years to reach Earth, we could simply be looking at this planets Creation, who knows what is there now.

(Probably still cooling or forming, these things take much longer)

Yes agreed. This planet is orbitting. But we probably won't see the planet completing and finished.
But the thing is. I don't the the average human will see the planet in his current state and further orbitting. They uses a ''super telescope'' to see it.
Maybe one day we all get one of those

(edit) And one other thing. I don't think the sun will ever reach that new planet.
The sun doesn't even reach pluto. You think maybe, just maybe another sun
will ''give life'' to that planet?
I highly doubt that though.

- MB

[edit on 5-5-2006 by meridian_blood_29387423]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join