It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time travel possible? University of Connecticut wants to find out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
an interesting little article. although it only points to forward travel or at least thats the way i read it.

Physics: From Time to Time

swirling space goes along with the theory of a worm hole where you swirl one end close to the speed of light

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
At least he is willing to attempt it, many scientist theorise but are too worried of putting their reputations on the line for such research.

Imagine the possiblity if we could couple this with computers, a network that not only spanned space but time as well. Imagine talking to yourself a week from today? Imagine what would happen to human knowledge.......

if we can hurl insignificant particles into the future, perhaps we can do this with electrons? how cool would that be?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Very interesting. Completely over my head and I don't understand at all, but very interesting none the less. Thank you for sharing!

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hmm, I've always believed that time travel is restricted to manipulation of the speed of time... that you cant jump from point to point, only speed up and slow down time in relation to you.

But hey, if they know better, or at least are willing to test that, best of luck to them. I look forward to their results.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I have always believed that time travel is impossible, because all it is, is a simplified name for the spin of the earth. But, if they do get time travel cracked, my theory goes down the drain-pipe, and the stories of John Titor may be true

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
I have always believed that time travel is impossible, because all it is, is a simplified name for the spin of the earth. But, if they do get time travel cracked, my theory goes down the drain-pipe, and the stories of John Titor may be true

No, it's a simplified name for entropy. The spin of the earth and the orbit the earth takes around the sun are simply the way we measure this entropy. If we were to discover that anti-entropy exists then it would be the biggest find in the history of Humanity.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Time is a very real thing - it's the change in events, just as length is the change in distance. In that sense, Time is a Physical Dimension, as much interwined with the other dimensions as the other dimensions are tied to each other.

As for this experiment, I can't see how you can swirl space with a laser - that doesn't make any sense to me. However, if you COULD swirl space, then you also swirl time. In theory, you could propel a particle into the future. To you the particle will disappear, and then will reappear later, to the particle it will disappear and reappear instantly and will notice that everything else has moved around more.

Note, this is a forward-only process, and so you're actually sending information SLOWER than before, but the information will be "newer".

It's like having two security cameras. One camera has a 1 second lag, but shows information that is 10 metres away, while the other camera has a 2 second lag, but shows information that is 5 metres away... if that makes any sense. Perhaps I got it backwards...

The main point is that this invention has no uses, but WOULD prove that time-space is malleable. Technically, this would be malleable in one direct (forward in time), but something else could create an "upwards" swirl (instead of the downwards swirl) that could send you backward.

And then we start running into causality problems, unless there are multiple possible universes, in which case absolutely no causality problem actually exists, nor is the law of mass-energy conservation violated... it's just that it would SEEM to be from our perspective

top topics

join