It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy Opposes Wind Farm

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Try to remember that for every good thing you find that will decrease our oil use require other things like batteries. Batteries are made of mineral that must be mined and the enviromental people won't allow that either.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
Try to remember that for every good thing you find that will decrease our oil use require other things like batteries. Batteries are made of mineral that must be mined and the enviromental people won't allow that either.

Not necessarily. When the wave farm is pumping out juice the power could just go through an inverter and straight to the grid, excess power could be used for the electrolysis of water and we would have a cheap way of getting H2 and O2, so called alternative sources of energy.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It will probably affect the migration on some life form. Or maybe give off a bad vibe that will cause Ted Kennedy to beach himself.
I have looked into building just a small windmill but the red tape is far to great.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
It will probably affect the migration on some life form. Or maybe give off a bad vibe that will cause Ted Kennedy to beach himself.
I have looked into building just a small windmill but the red tape is far to great.

build it anyways!!! What would the authorities do anyways, you would have the media on your side, you couldn;t lose!!! You could probably find a Lawyer to cover you for free too.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Err am I the only one one whose read up on entropy? or the 3 laws of newton? By diverting the natural ebb and flow we hasten entropy.... given the current almost haphazard extra terrestrial human exploration plan I'd be reluctant to shorten the span of our life giving biosphere.

Edit: when our one toehold on life is already trying to quail at our continued inhabitance are we wise to use without thought the forces that sustain our continued existence to eke out another decade or four? To be honest this current drive at so called alternate energy is a laugh when we are jsut vying to be the first to weaken by entropy the last bastions of our ecosystem's self balancing mechanisms.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by astral_ice]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Astral - does this refer to both windmills and watermills or both?

Can you clarify for us?

Thanks.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This is the proposed wind farm. (By the way, it would be on my backyard) but i wouldnt care!

Wayne Kurker, the owner of Hyannis Marina, set about issuing dire warnings of the ''industrial park'' being planned for the sound. When his neighbors ignored him, Kurker asked a graphic artist to create a mock-up of the proposed wind project and mailed it to thousands of boaters. His mantra was simple: ''Windmills are probably great for the environment, but we shouldn't have to sacrifice the environment to build renewable energy.''

Soon, the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound was filing lawsuits, mounting political pressure in Boston and Washington and, to bolster its legal case and maximize public anxiety, generating volumes of doomsaying critiques: The turbines will break up and the oil inside will spill into the sound, in a repeat of the Exxon Valdez disaster. Birds will be torn apart in ''pole-mounted Cuisinarts.'' Whales will bump their heads. The annual Figawi race, the Memorial Day weekend Hyannis-to-Nantucket regatta, will have to be canceled. The pristine sound will become the world's 11th largest skyline, flashing 520 red and amber lights...

Ted Kennedy meets with quite a lot of opposition. It is not entirely his fault.

www.capecodmedia.com...

[edit on 2-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
"the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound".....

Now there's an obvious eyeopener. Nantucket, bet there's plenty of money to spend on legal obastacles from there. Though I am chuckling at some of their suppossed objections.

So, what is the reason the windfarm can't be put out anywhere else where it won't bother the nimby's? Have they even investigated other sites? Have any of the objectors suggested any?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I wish i knew, Relentless. I am trying to find out.

I assume it has to be very close to land, i dont know....

Between all the races in the summer, the ferrys, Nantucket sound isnt all that large.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by astral_ice
Err am I the only one one whose read up on entropy? or the 3 laws of newton? By diverting the natural ebb and flow we hasten entropy.... given the current almost haphazard extra terrestrial human exploration plan I'd be reluctant to shorten the span of our life giving biosphere.

Edit: when our one toehold on life is already trying to quail at our continued inhabitance are we wise to use without thought the forces that sustain our continued existence to eke out another decade or four? To be honest this current drive at so called alternate energy is a laugh when we are jsut vying to be the first to weaken by entropy the last bastions of our ecosystem's self balancing mechanisms.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by astral_ice]

huh, what are you trying to say?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Fot those who want to know what it will look like to have these wind farms just watch this Sky News segment on a offshore wind project in Ireland.

Offshore-Wind-turbines-in-Ireland

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks, AceOfBase! What an interesting video. Instead of golfing in Scotland, Delay could have been meeting about this. Some patriot; seems more like treason to me. Brazil, Portugal, Ireland...ok, who's next to stand in line in front of the United States in alternative energy development? This is becoming humiliating, and that's exactly what we need to tell our elected officials.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

US official opposes Cape Wind measure. Calls it unwise to give state veto Boston.com
By Stephanie Ebbert, Globe Staff, May 6, 2006

The Bush administration weighed in on behalf of the wind farm project proposed off the cape and Islands yesterday, urging Congress to drop a measure that would allow the governor of Massachusetts to block the controversial project.

There is a move on to kill the rider to the Coast Guard amendment which allows the Governor to veto the project.

US Senator Pete Domenici, the New Mexico Republican who chairs the Senate's Energy and Natural Resources Committee, said, "It sets a terrible precedent." He added, "It would be a very bad idea to give states veto authority over the siting of renewable energy projects on federal land in a bid to stop a particular project."

Because of the rising energy costs the public seems to want more alternative energy sources. These renewable energy projects are so new that there are few regulations in place. We seem to be writing the new rules as we go.

Some appropriate questions are being asked.

Audra Parker, assistant director of the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound, which opposes the wind farm, pointed out that the Minerals Management Service began yesterday to advertise public meetings aimed at developing the criteria for the review of offshore alternative energy projects. The act that transferred authority to the Minerals Management Service exempted Cape Wind and another project that was being reviewed from a new set of reviews.

We can probably continue to talk about these projects until the whole world is ahead of us in the renewable energy field.

Those who oppose this bill, led by Senator Kennedy and Governor Mitt Romney, argue that there is only a single developer and that the administration would support no-bid contracts.

Jim Gordon, president of Cape Wind Associates said, "I think people have seen our company for five years following the rules, going through a legitimate, comprehensive, and inclusive regulatory process, and I think people see the promise in this project."

This project has been approved by the Army Corp of Engineers and various other concerned environmental agencies. (see sources in prior posts).

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
the whole world wants renewable energy!

just not in MY backyard

it seems to be the whole ethos around the world - we want it , and we want it now.

but oh s*** they want it within 50 miles of ME so i have to sue them to stop it going ahead.

its happening everywhere - and so far no projects are being done becuase of all the blocking legal action.

and the oil men get richer by the day.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Good luck to Mayor Blomberg.
He wants windmills on top of NYC buildings and bridges.

He is a Don Quote figure now.

In the 70s under the Carter Administration a west side 11 story
building got a grant and the nearby Con Ed plant gave them heck.

The City Counsel ruled for the mill to go up.

Here is a Tesla secret sold to German in 1914:
Earth vibrations to electrical vibrations and power.

Works on submarines too, and good as go forever better than nuclear.
But Con Ed again, so...

You Know How It Is... No You Tell Me..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join