It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy Opposes Wind Farm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Apparently Ted Kennedy is working behind the scenes to stop the development of wind farming on a 24 square mile area about 8 miles from his home. Kennedy says that his opposition is not personal, but because he has environmental, navigational and tourism concerns about the project.

www.boston.com
As record oil prices turn attention to the need for renewable fuels, momentum is building in Congress to buck Senator Edward M. Kennedy's bid to block the proposed Cape Cod wind energy project, potentially reviving efforts to construct the sprawling windmill farm in Nantucket Sound.

The chairman and the top Democrat on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources committee said yesterday that when the bill Kennedy backs that would effectively halt the wind farm comes up for a vote in the Senate, they will object on procedural grounds. They say they'll argue that a renewable energy project shouldn't be lumped in with a bill governing the Coast Guard.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So much for the theory that the democratic party is the party of the common man and the republicans are the party of the rich. This makes it clear that your only choice as a voter is the opportunity to choose which party screws you and that our most of our representatives are self serving bums.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by df1]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Probably a few of his big backers in Cape Cod don't want the view from their windows to be spoiled with the sight of windmills. He's not setting a very good example if he is chair of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources committee at all

Pie

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I live on Cape Cod, and i am going to call his office and find out "why". I go to Nantucket by ferry a few times a year and, i dont know what the reason is, i hope its more than just the looks of the place preventing this.
I dont expect to talk to Ted but his people can tell our people, or something like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
His people will not tell you the truth. The truth is, this is old news, and the Kennedy's are all in favor of wind power except in their back yard. It would spoil their pristine view.

Not surprising, John Kerry is also opposed to windmills. It doesn't matter that the plan would supply 75% of the power needed by Cape Cod, and would save ratepayers $800 million over 20 years - it might threaten navigation for the annual Hyannis-to-Nantucket Regatta.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
why can't they have it both ways and put the windmills below the water?

Many have already experimented with this kind of tech...

msnbc.msn.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

It would seem to offer a viable solution to both problems?

I'm sure Ted wouldn't mind a few hundred of those.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

why can't they have it both ways and put the windmills below the water?

Many have already experimented with this kind of tech...

I never understood why especially in areas with strong tidal currents that they could not come up with a turbine that would take advantage of this type of thing. You could literally line the ocean floor with hundreds of them. Here in the NY Harbor the undertow is so strong that when people jump in to end their lives , either they are never found or their bodies are found miles away. The power generated would be awesome.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I have seen the windmills just as you exit the high desert and they are a site to be hold.

But is a valley and with acres and acres of windmills to fill the sandy spaces.

Now I have no clue how cape cod will be able to accommodate these windmills, unless they are talking about an area that will be specifically for that.

Been so touristic and a very expensive area it will be more than just Ted making a fuss about it.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Maybe we need to elect someone who has a company that makes tidal current machines. It has worked with oil. Don't stop there, we need solar, wind, etc. Sorry, Senator, but even Santa Barbara looks at oil rigs.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
~~

i own some Ottertail Corporation stocks,
among other things, (NYSE): OTTR, makes & constructs
a brand of those wind generators & the kind that can be in the ocean too.

I would hate to see an American enact laws that would financially hurt
an American enterprise while directly helping a foreign energy supplier
to add to our US trade deficit.

, i can appreciate Sen Teds coveting his unobstructed vistas ...
when push comes to shove up there in Mass.
lets permit a coal fired electric plant in his backyard
instead of erecting windmills at the Chapaquiddick waters

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Way to go, St Udio! Now that is an example of socially responsible investing. I challenge others to put any investment money where their environmental conscious is. Thanks for the tip. '
'

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Of course he opposes Wind Farms. Why you ask? Because he makes money off oil that's why.

Kennedy Clan Profiting from Hugo Chavez's Oil

The Kennedy family owns three oil drilling companies: Arctic Oil, Kenoil, and Mokeen Oil. Over the years it has made tens of millions of dollars in profits off these oil interests.

www.boonereport.com...

Gasp imagine that a Democrat that makes money off of OIL

[edit on 4/28/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
On 11/11/2004 I posted to the following thread:

The thread
The name of this thread is "Wind farms contribute to Global Warming".

Scroll down to the last post made on this thread. Cape Wind's Proposed wind farm in Nantucket Sound

More detail about this purposed plan by the Army Corp of Engineers is in my post.

NIMBY was the same in November 2004 as is now.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Let's have a little Emminent Domain movement in Cape Cod & confiscate Ted's home to make room for more windmills.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There are some environmental hurdles to overcome in the construction of such windfarms over water. On land too, but not as difficult as disturbing the sea floor. Might as well tax the tides while they're at it, if you ask me.

The Kennedy's always were for environmental protection, especially young Robert New York Riverkeeper.

We have a new industrial park in our region and one company has one lonely windmill set up. I keep threatening myself to stop there one day and ask why only one? And what is the one producing? Maybe it's a test site?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
On 11/11/2004 I posted to the following thread:

The thread
The name of this thread is "Wind farms contribute to Global Warming".
:
NIMBY was the same in November 2004 as is now.

Very interesting, Mahree. I had no idea that Mitt Romney was against the project. That was in 2004; I wonder if he has changed his mind since then?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
These waters are very well navigated, fishermen, ferries, and the proximity between Hyannis, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard is probably not real conducive to a wind farm. I love my trips to Nantucket, my second home, and if its going to make travel to the islands hazardous, i wouldnt want the wind farms either.

You do have to realize that tourism is what helps our economy. If it werent for this, the jobs here would go down the drain.

There's other places to have windfarms.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Perhaps a little review on Cape Wind is needed.

Cape Wind will produce cleaner air, reduce global warming, and save 113 million gal of oil per year. Cape Wind will reduce cost of energy and produce a high tech industry of the wind farms, providing many new jobs and opportunities.

The following quotes came from here

Cape Wind will contribute to improved air quality by reducing air pollution emissions in New England.

Global warming contributes to rising sea levels and more frequent storms that erode our beaches and cause coastal property damage. Global warming and climate change presents the greatest threat to birds and sea life and their habitat.

Cape Wind will provide clean, renewable energy capable of replacing 113 million gallons of oil per year

4/28/2006
For up to date information as to where Cape Wind stands now
click here

In answer to the question about Gov. Mitt Romney, I did a little "looking around" this morning. As of 11/5/2005 the Governor was requesting a freeze on the project. source

During a meeting in Washington, D.C., Romney asked Interior Secretary Gale Norton to freeze review of the ambitious offshore plan until a detailed framework for such reviews is complete.

April 6, 2006
Another source of information including Coast Guard amendment and controversial
rider, which would allow veto powers to the Governor of the State.source

Climate Crisis Coalition
Scroll down, look on right side for article
Fight Over Cape Wind Reaches Floors of the Senate and House
A rider attached to the Senate version of the bill, which will be voted on by the full
House and Senate, gives veto power over wind farms to the governor of each state.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

There's other places to have windfarms.

They will be located 5 miles from Hyannis, and further still from other Cape beaches. They should have no negative effect on tourism. The safety lights are only visible from a few miles away, and you can hardly hear the turbines up close. You can't hear them at all from shore.

It sounds well planned and thought out. It will save Cape Cod ratepayers $800 million over 20 years, and supply 75% of the power needed by the Cape. It's a clean source of energy, and should be encouraged here and at other places around the nation as an alternative to fossil fuels. I'm all for it.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Perhaps they should be proposed as a public arts project.

Goodness knows I've seen a lot of uglier things actually funded by the government.

I could actually envision these done in the right subtle colors, perhaps with reflective paints that could create some stunning scenes against an ocean and sky backdrop. Honestly, how many people think windmills are ugly? I have always found something intriguing about them myself, I love to look at them, from the old wooden ones to the new windfarm ones.

I want my windmills!

*Wonders why they never propose these in Florida*

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
To answer the paint color, they will be painted to blend in with the horizon. To quote the article that Mahree supplied,

The slender supporting towers will be painted to blend in with the horizon, making them visible one half-inch above the horizon o­n clear days. Click here for a computer simulation of the view from points around Cape Cod and the Islands.

Windmills

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join