It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desert Eagle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Any of you guys own one of these? I was thinking about buying one in .44mag, bc its a much easier bullet to find than the .50AE

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
DE is possibly the world's most over rated and over-hyped gun ever.

Please don't be a sheep like the masses and get that rubbish it's also way over priced.

Get this instead it's huge, powerfull and relativly cheap :

Taurus Raging Bull .44 $664.00
Link

That gun is better then a DE and only $664.00 also its more "practicle" and "usefull" then a DE while being considerably cheeper then the DE also the DE has lost it's coolness factor as far as i'm concerned since every single person has been buying it.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My best friend owns both a Desert eagle .50 AE and a (short barrel) S&W 500, He loves his hand cannons
. So I have fired both extensively and neither are really that fun to fire after awhile. The first couple of times you fire them and they shoot out a huge flame its pretty cool and there is a wow factor but it wears off quick IMO. None of them are practical for CC or really even home defense compared to a much cheaper shotgun.

So hand cannons have never been my cup of tea. Its really more of a bragging rights/collection piece you fire every once in awhile which is fine for many people. If I was ever to get one I would choose the S&W 500 over the desert eagle its bullet dwarfs the .50AE.

People have already taken down elephants with single shots from the 500
picture

[edit on 25-4-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yeah I know all of this but I still think one would be cool to have, its not really for any sort of defense but more for fun

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
My best friend owns both a Desert eagle .50 AE and a (short barrel) S&W 500, He loves his hand cannons
. So I have fired both extensively and neither are really that fun to fire after awhile. The first couple of times you fire them and they shoot out a huge flame its pretty cool and there is a wow factor but it wears off quick IMO. None of them are practical for CC or really even home defense compared to a much cheaper shotgun.

So hand cannons have never been my cup of tea. Its really more of a bragging rights/collection piece you fire every once in awhile which is fine for many people. If I was ever to get one I would choose the S&W 500 over the desert eagle its bullet dwarfs the .50AE.

People have already taken down elephants with single shots from the 500
picture

why would you wanna shoot and kill an elephant?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Then get one its really your personal taste more then anything eles when buying a gun, Forget what anyone eles says about it. I personally never seen the 50AE as a hard bullet to get my friend gets them all the time along with the more expensive SW 500.

BTW come to think of it there is at least one practical use for a hand cannon "Bear Defense" If you lived in Alaska and spent alot of time outdoors it would be smart to get. Old timers will tell you if you bring something like a 9MM for bear defense to file off the front sight.
The reason why because it will hurt less when the bear shoves it up your #@$.

They never advise anything below a .44. With something like a 9mm against a charging Grizzle unless you hit it in a vital area in the few seconds before it reaches you its going to maul the crap out of you even if you hit it a few times.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HereticHulk

why would you wanna shoot and kill an elephant?

Well there is always self defense and a charging bull elephant will kill you very quick.

But I also believe with the correct permits you can still hunt them aswell in some parts of the world.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My personal advice to campers and "hunters":
"If you hunt or fear big game, get a Rifle"

.500SW is a good basis for subsonic round for Moose hunting

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Then get one its really your personal taste more then anything eles when buying a gun, Forget what anyone eles says about it. I personally never seen the 50AE as a hard bullet to get my friend gets them all the time along with the more expensive SW 500.

BTW come to think of it there is at least one practical use for a hand cannon "Bear Defense" If you lived in Alaska and spent alot of time outdoors it would be smart to get. Old timers will tell you if you bring something like a 9MM for bear defense to file off the front sight.
The reason why because it will hurt less when the bear shoves it up your #@$.

They never advise anything below a .44. With something like a 9mm against a charging Grizzle unless you hit it in a vital area in the few seconds before it reaches you its going to maul the crap out of you even if you hit it a few times.
I hunt bear with a 45-70 marlin lever action.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I didnt really mean to hunt bear though you could do that with the 500. Im talking about bear defense if you werent hunting. Fisher men in Alaska for example are often in Bear territory since they are going after the Bears food source and dont want to be bother carrying around a large rifle on top of their fishing gear.

Thus a large caliber handgun is often used for personal defense.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The Desert Eagle Isreali Military Industries is chambered for a variety of cartridges. It first appeared in 1983 as a .357 mag, but also as .417/.44 mag and .50 Action Express. The frame has a weight of about 3.75 lbs, for steel frame and not much less for alloy. 9 rnd mag, perfect for 10 shots w/ 1 topped off.
That is from Janes ISBN# 0-00-472453-4

You looking for a pistol, first thing that needs to be decided is why for?

No, really, what exactly is the firearms intended use? Target pistol for competition shoots, range drills, or home and even personal defense? This is important, because each and every pistol out there, has been created for such reasons in the very least. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Glock 30, it is a compact .45 with ten round magazine. Which is an improvement over the older smaller cap .40. Thing is the Glocks price hasn't gone down much, but for good reason.

Want some thing that can shoot multiple calibers with out touching the magazine, and nothing more than changing barrel and slide. The Sphinx AT2000, is made in Switzerland and comes in 9mm or .40. All depends on what purpose it has.

If you see any Makarovs beware, could be foreign troops. I woud be more worried about the Tokarev, 7.62 and also fires 7.63 Mauser (probably c/12), compared to 9mm. Those are Russian designs and could be warning sign, of some thing any ways.

The Colt is a good series and has always been a reliable stand by,
auto or revolver.
Maybe a LAR Grizzly Win mag, comes in .357, .44 .45.
Steyr has a decent side arm, but I'm sort of partial to Austria.
S&W are reknown for revolvers and every one uses their ammo.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've never been a big fan of magnum guns, I am more interested in .40-.45 caliber pistols since they get the job done for most purposes without excessive recoil or costing your self an arm and a leg for ammo.

However, I wouldn't mind owning a Desert Eagle pistol just for an occasional shooter, it should be quite fun for a spectacular light/sound display...and maybe exploding some water-mellons or other fruits/inanimate objects.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I think Shadow covered this quite well. I shot the Deagle a few times in the past. There plenty of wow factor, flame and recoil, but not much else (unless, as Shadow pointed out, it's about bear defense). Precision wasn't great.

The most fun gun I used was a 9mm Sig Sauer, maybe because it fits my smallish hand so well. I did my best shooting (not great anyway) with this gun. It's just so much easier to handle that even in defense situations it might be better (not against bears though).

Besides, the Deagle ammo is so darn expensive

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The Ruger Redhawk is a nice revolver, Its basically a smooth version of the S&W 629(Dirty Harry), Colt Pythons/King Cobras are a must if you want a revolver

Heard of the 'Wildey Magnum'? Its one of the first 'Auto Magnums'
images.google.com...://www.ginklai.net/images/galerija/2207_survivor18.jpg

Is the MBA Gyrojet still availiable?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

Heard of the 'Wildey Magnum'? Its one of the first 'Auto Magnums'
images.google.com...://www.ginklai.net/images/galerija/2207_survivor18.jpg

Ah a home state gun for me

The first time I seen that gun was in a "Death Wish III" with Charles Bronson. It was a while ago since I seen that movie but I think it was the 10' .475 extended barrel Widly

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Desert Eagles are a joke....

The gun has virtually no accuracy this i know from personal experience. It has too much force and leaves nasty bruises on the palm of your hand. Even .44's leave bruises and are hard to shoot with good accuracy. The kick back is just to much to handle and every one I know who has had a chance to use one says the same thing. It is an overpowered overpriced clunky hand gun. If I were to rate it for use from 1 to 10 i would give it a 3 for the fact that you can't shoot it worth #.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Desert Eagles Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the .45 ASP XD pistol.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You mean .45ACP I assume russian? unless ASP is a new load I am unaware of...

I only heard about the .45GAP (glock auto pistol) and the new .357SIG.

top topics

join