It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Sweet 16 Hubble!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
16 years ago today, the Hubble Telescope was launched and history was made.

www.sciencedaily.com

The Hubble Space Telescope, operated jointly by NASA and the European Space Agency, is now 16 years old.

Hubble was launched April 24, 1990, aboard the space shuttle Discovery. During its 16 years of operation the telescope has taken roughly 750,000 exposures and probed about 24,000 celestial objects.

During its 16-year lifetime, the telescope has made nearly 93,500 orbits around Earth, totaling nearly 2.4 billion miles -- slightly more than a round trip to Saturn.

I’ve always enjoyed looking at the amazing images brought to us from the Hubble telescope.

To celebrate the Telescope's 16 years of success, NASA and ESA have released this of the starburst galaxy, Messier 82 (M82).

Visit hubblesite.org to zoom in on this image or to look at many other fantastic images. extra DIV

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wow 16 years. We sure know that they got their money's worth out of that telescope. Some of the most remarkable pictures of deep space I have ever seen. I wonder when the next generation space telescope is going to be launched.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
Wow 16 years. We sure know that they got their money's worth out of that telescope. Some of the most remarkable pictures of deep space I have ever seen. I wonder when the next generation space telescope is going to be launched.

No idea, but take a gander at this scope.

lbtwww.arcetri.astro.it...

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
I wonder when the next generation space telescope is going to be launched.

The NGST has been renamed the James Webb Space Telescope and is set to launch no earlier than 2013!

Link To JWST Page!

Seems like a lifetime before she goes up but last i heard there will be one last servicing mission to update Hubble...Hope that is still on track!!!

Hubble Servicing Mission!

Mic

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Seems like a lifetime before she goes up but last i heard there will be one last servicing mission to update Hubble...Hope that is still on track!!!

For the sake of NASA's budget, I hope it isn't and gets scrapped. The ground based telescope I posted above will have stereo vision with a resolving power 10 times greater then hubble!

Hubble was a great telescope, but now it's obsolete.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Sardion,

thanks for the excellent link on the Italian binocular telescope. If you read carefully, it can actually give much better imaging in infrared than the Hubble. This is fantastic. I'm quite impressed.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Hubble was a great telescope, but now it's obsolete.

You are 100% true...but Hubble still holds a special place in mine and most peoples hearts!

Such a shame the servicing mission could not be turned into a recovery mission...I would love to be able to visit Hubble in a museum at some point in the future!

Mic

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I remember the first images sent back by HST and they turned out to be blurry.

Boy did I catch hell from my co-workers, but the problem was eventually fixed and what happened after that shut the mouths of all the critics around the world.

The magnificient images that Hubble continue to send back is just the begining of a grand journey into the unknown.

I wish there could be a way for the public to raise the funds to put this pioneering machine in the Smithsonian.

It's been a wonderful 16 years and thanks Umbrax for reminding us all.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My thanks to the Hubble team for some of the most beautiful photographs ever published. You have done a great job for us!

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
For Hubbles 16th, be sure to get the best out of it with "Celestia, a real-time 3D space simulation featuring a database of over 100000 stars", and it has the Birthday Sats image. I've used this program and the first thought was, space traffic controller.
It is worth the download if you have room.

I'm still of the opinion that the Hubble Space Telescope should be attached to the ISS or International Space Station.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

...I'm still of the opinion that the Hubble Space Telescope should be attached to the ISS or International Space Station.

Say, that is a great idea. I agree.

For me, the photos she shot were very inspiring. I am sure I am not alone in this sentiment.

new topics

top topics

join