It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal heirs in firing line

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Royal heirs in firing line

PRINCES William and Harry are certain to face bullets on the front line in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to their uncle, the Duke of York.

And their grandmother, the Queen, fully approves, he says.

"Members of the family have been part of the armed forces for a great many years," said 46-year-old Prince Andrew, who served as a helicopter pilot with the Royal Navy in the Falklands War.

More...

Say what you will about this Royal family... I deeply respect that they have the guts to put skin in the game...
That is a sign they understand true leadership.

Good for them...

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I have never been a fan or our Royal Family, in my opinion they cost the British taxpayer too much money and we dont appear to get much back in return. Im more in favour with all the hangars on to get the chop, streamline it a bit more so to speak. I wouldnt mind it so much if it was just the immidiate family that enjoyed all the perks but it is about time to get all the freeloader distant relatives etc gone.
Now thats off my chest, I am really starting to warm to the Royals nowadays. Prince Phillip makes me roar with laughter with some of the offensive comments he comes out with. Prince William and Harry are showing the way that their mother and father brought them up has really turned them into outstanding strong men and future leaders for our country.
And it is clearly visible that despite the very privaleged lives they lead they are still grounded and do what every other young man in our country does like visit the odd lap dancing club, smoke the old joint from time to time and like to go out and get drunk with their mates.
For them to enter the front lines will immidiately make them a highly sought after target but from what I heard Harry is not interested in being babied and kept away from any conflict, he wants to be treated the same way as every other soldier is and do his duty for his country as best he can.
I really hope they do well and hopefully will come back unharmed.
I take my hat of to them and have utmost respect I am proud to have Royals like them in our country.

LONG LIVE THE KING'S

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I have never been a fan or our Royal Family, in my opinion they cost the British taxpayer too much money and we dont appear to get much back in return.

Not this tired old line again? They only cost in the region of £12-15 million quid, all things considered. But in return, they generate huge amounts of business, tourism, act as ambassadors for us overseas thereby increasing trade even more.

The Queen herself is an extraordinary penny pincher, stemming from the days of WW2 and hates waste, going to great lengths to keep expenditure down.

You have to remember that all the state visits, banquets and such like are arranged by the Government, so if you don't like them, complain to the PM.

The Queen herself would rather sit down and eat Chicken Kievs while watching the Bill or Eastenders

Apart from that little rant, I agree with your sentiments about William and Harry. Looking forward to one of them being King.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
The Queen herself would rather sit down and eat Chicken Kievs while watching the Bill or Eastenders

I just have to say, some channels here the US started airing that show Eastenders and my immediate reaction was “good god, is that what you people call acting?” Blah...

Anyway now that I've said that all have I left is to wish good luck to prince William and Furor Harry, errr.....I mean prince Harry.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I admire a nation that puts its prominent people in a war. Unlike the USA, the politicians kids, presidents children, etc...

I wish them luck and they have my admiration.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I just have to say, some channels here the US started airing that show Eastenders and my immediate reaction was “good god, is that what you people call acting?” Blah...

Never said the show was any good, Westy
The amount of people that die in Albert Square is unreal. It's mortality rate must be 10 times that of anywhere else in London and thats saying something!..

It's a soap and is watched mainly by the women folk, who wouldn't know a good TV show if it smacked them in the face. These are the same people that watch Big pile of poo Brother, Pop Star Idol Camp and read Heat magazine. Nuff said

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
couldn't agree with you more stumason
they're the same people responsible for that waste of space third rate paris hilton wannabe Chantelle.

Just what is the point of her?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
couldn't agree with you more stumason
they're the same people responsible for that waste of space third rate paris hilton wannabe Chantelle.

Just what is the point of her?

Don't get me started....Just don't......

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I would like to echo the 'big up to Harry' comments.

I have a lot of respect for the Queen, I think Phil is basically an upper class version of a cross between Victor Meldrew and Alf Garnett so he makes me chuckle.

Randy Andy was a bit of a dude in his day.

On the other side, I think Edward is a waste of time and the rest are pretty much, hangers on IMO.

Well done to Harry in standing 'shoulder to shoulder' with the military.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
STUMASON I was in no way having a go at the IMMIDIATE Royal family I was commenting more on all the second cousins twice removed kind of royals that tend to hang on and benefit from a slight link to the royal family. If you had read my post I was commenting on how I enjoy having our monarchy nowadays as they seem to be getting more down to earth with each generation that passes, so please do not be sayin that I am giving any old line about the royals thank you.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
If they're trying to say they'll be next to joe bloggs on the front line then I'm the easter bunny.

They're not going to be in the firing line at all. They'll be miles and miles back from the front line. It's all for public image.

Sorry, i'm just a bit of a skeptic. It wouldn't bother me one bit if the Royals weren't about.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Snoopdopey]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Something tells me that they won't be under actual fire at any time, nor that they will be permited to actually engage any enemy troops.

Still, better than the Bushes. There's no reason's Dubya's daughters can't be in the Army.

Heck, they seem like the sort of trouble-raising do-nothing's that could benefit from it.

And also notice that, so far as I know, none of the younger generation of Bushes are in the military in Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere else. Seems 'doing your duty' stopped with Bush the Elder.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yeah, check this article out.
www.cnn.com...
It looks like the royals are bringing things back to reality. Harry won't spend a minute in the line of fire.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I admire a nation that puts its prominent people in a war. Unlike the USA, the politicians kids, presidents children, etc...

Yeah the Bush twins are not really cut out for the army.....god knows they could use a little discipline. But there's quit a few congressmen and senators that have children in the military that have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Well, I doubt the two princes will ever see combat, but I still admire their decision to serve their country

[edit on 24/4/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Good for the British!
I really do think it's only right that the people who start the wars send their country's 'privileged' children to fight alongside the others.

Originally posted by SportyMB
But there's quit a few congressmen and senators that have children in the military that have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

From 2003
Of the 535 members of Congress, at least seven have a great personal interest: They have children in the military who already are participating in the war or could be called to do so.
The number of federal lawmakers with children in the military has steadily declined since the Vietnam era, and some say that's too bad.
Johnson, who appears to be the only member with a child on the front lines in Iraq, said that America will win the war and, as a result, the world will "be a better place."

Granted this is from 2003, and I don't know how the numbers have changed since then, but I don't consider one to be quite a few.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I agree that Harry deserves credit for being willing to fight and die. That takes guts. But the govt. has different plans.

From above link
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Britain's Prince Harry, an army officer and third in line to the throne, may be shielded from the frontline if his unit is sent to war, the UK Ministry of Defense says.

Harry's deployment or continuing presence in a conflict zone might be brought into question if the prince, who graduated as an army officer this month, were to become a specific target, the ministry said.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Granted this is from 2003, and I don't know how the numbers have changed since then, but I don't consider one to be quite a few.

Yeah I guess me saying "quit a few" was a bit too much...maybe I should have said a handfull.

Son of Antiwar State Senator Becky Lourey Killed in Iraq

Sen. Johnson's son in Iraq

Re. John Kiline's son on his way to Iraq

Sen. Bond's son in Iraq

Sen. Cantwell's son-in-law

Rep. Joe Wilson's son

Rep. Todd Akin's son served in Iraq as Marine Combat Engineer

Rep. Hunter's son in Iraq

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave's son in Iraq

Rep. Ed Schrock's son in Iraq

Anyways, I think 6 is the most that served at one time.

Sporty

[edit on 24/4/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Heck, maybe you shouldn't be able to vote for war if your kids aren't actively in the military!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I agree that Harry deserves credit for being willing to fight and die. That takes guts. But the govt. has different plans.

From above link
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Britain's Prince Harry, an army officer and third in line to the throne, may be shielded from the frontline if his unit is sent to war, the UK Ministry of Defense says.

Harry's deployment or continuing presence in a conflict zone might be brought into question if the prince, who graduated as an army officer this month, were to become a specific target, the ministry said.

They do say that they would only pull him out of his unit if he "attracts undue attention which would pose a significant risk to him or those under his command".

So from that, one can assume that he will at least start on the front line, but how he fairs with regards to becoming a specific target would decide for how long.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I wish them luck and they have my admiration.

I totally agree. I give the Princes a lot of credit for being willing to join the army despite their privileged positions. I also think it's disgusting how certain politicians in the US are willing to force the children of poor and middle class families into war whereas THEIR kids sure don't have to go fight. Why? Because they're the privileged children of power people
. I think we all know who I'm talking about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join