It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Black Death In California

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If traced to her home, as is reported in local news, then first case in LA since 1920's of urban/non-wild nature. 1984 case was young man hiking in mountains around LA, coming in contact with animal's fleas in the wild. (BTW, don't let your children play with "friendly" squirrels!) Another case for Public Health.
Re insurance--I almost died from misdiagnosis from more than one doctor, ending up in hospital at last moment, and that was with excellent coverage. If anything, bp case shows why denying medical treatment for anyone in this country could be dangerous for public health.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Odium yes I am well aware that a persons name can be withheld from release pending family notification. However you just stated that the family has been put on medication so if the family has been placed on meds then they must have been notified but still no release of patient info. Why? IMO I believe because the medical staff is protecting her because if they release her info she and her family might be receiving an unwelcomed visit from the INS. If that happens then the immigrant community may become reluctant to report illness to local authorities fearing (rightfully so IMO) detainment by the authorities followed by deportation.

I don't think it is wrong to assume that she is an illegal because you say all the facts have not been presented. I call it reading in between the lines my friend. Now like I said she maybe a illegal immigrant she maybe a permanent resident she maybe a full US citizen but since its been a while since this story was broke and her name still hasn't been released I'm making this deduction based on my experience with the Medi-Cal system here in California and with the authorities here in California.

You say if they were illegal they wouldn't have the benefit of drugs. This statement is completely false. In fact everyone in this state is entitled to such medical care regardless of ability to pay. Because they are receiving medications is in no way an indicator of whether they are illegal or not.

The fact that the media are not reporting her status doesn't speak much to me. Its often difficult to get the media to report the status of people wanted by the authorities for violent offences. And even if they did they'd be called racist for bringing the issue up. Just like you are here you impeach my character based on your assumptions of what you believe to be appropriate.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by danwild6]

SMR

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
I don't think it is wrong to assume that she is an illegal because you say all the facts have not been presented.

Are you freaking kidding me!!!!! You amaze me.To have a thought such as that just amazes me.

Getting on topic,
I heard this the other day on the radio and they are saying that there is no concern for alarm.Though I wouldnt put down my gaurd.Last time they said to not be alarmed, a massive case of the flu hit and we had poeple dying left and right more so than ever before.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
after looking around it seems the low key aspect isn't unwarranted.

pneumonic is the big population killer not bubonic. On the other hand as far as the illegal or not illegal side of the thread, while I criticize those that come here illegally does it really matter who got this affliction? when it comes down to it we're all people and you can hate someones actions but to downplay someone's suffering because of where they are from is a bit cold.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The reason for not identifying the victim is probably that the medical "authorities" need to track down and test family members and people she had contact with to see how well their planted disease is spreading...er, I mean to make sure they're healthy.

Anytime there's a case like this, caution should be the byword. It's likely to be an isolated case, falling within the normal epidemiological norms, but hey, ya never know. After all, there were all those bubonic little mice missing, eh?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Please explain why an illegal immigrant from south of the border would be more likely to get bitten by a tick than a legal immigrant from south of the border?

The article itself states that the plague had been in that region a mere 20 years ago. Its transmitted by ticks. That means that there are ticks in that region that carry the disease, not that they are brough from honduras or something.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

...Not to be a baby, but i broke the news 3 days ago, and it seemed to be a non-issue. Now all of a sudden, its on ATSNN and its a big deal.

Its nothing! Remember?

You have to have an unpopular scapegoat if you want to get lots of emotive reactions, yeesh man, try harder next time! Whatever your next submission is, just end it with 'and this is the fault of the jews', and you'll get lots of peopl!

(ok don't actually do that!)

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hmm look who's racist now? He says "Illegal Immigrant" and everyone screams "zomg mexicans!"

Seems to me that everyone's got a bit of their own hidden prejudices.

Every person on earth is just as likely to contract bubonic plague as the next guy, the only difference he was pointing out was this:

An Illegal Immigrant (regardless of nationality) would be less likely to seek help for fear of the government doing a background check and them being deported.
A Legal immigrant wouldn't care about a background check.

If an illegal immigrant had bubonic plague, and was afraid to go to the doctor/hospital, and it mutated, it would have much larger ramnifications than if someone who was a legal immigrant went to the doctor and had it checked out.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
One of the reasons for the non-release of information is the recent HIPPA laws; they say that no one can disclose any information about a patient without the patient's permission, or in the case of a deceased person, the next of kin's permission. So that might come into play here...

As for me, the only thing that the bubonic plague has done for me is make sure my animals are all flea and tick free; they all got treatment drops, and should be good to go.

This is not an issue of illegal immigrants. Rather, it's an issue of poor, of urban rodent infestation, and perhaps a Health and Human services issue (in re: slum lords et cetera). There is nothing which says the victim is an illegal immigrant, and rodents are all over this city...in great numbers. So it could've been anyone...including me, one of those uninsured citizens.

Best regards-
Aimless searcher

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here's an odd cooincidence for you guys, the same day this hit the news, the television show "House" had a case of bubonic plague. There are cases of bubonic plague, damned near daily in the US, why is this case making headline news, and is it just cooincidence that it was also featured on a very popular television show the same day? Odd.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
"...it is quite possible that she is an illegal immigrant."

While it is "quite possible", i guess, the above statement is still a ridiculous speculation with not a shred of information to even base such an inference.

So, is this big news? That in the COUNTY, not country, there hasn't been a case in 20 years? While in the COUNTRY, there are 20 cases per year?

Come on. Jump to some other baseless conclusions please.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Strange but while on vacation I read Biohazard by Ken Alibek. Who is he, well he is to bio hazards, what Weirner Von Braum was to missiles. He was the foremost authority on the USSR's program throughtout the 70's & 80"s. There really is no such things as a former plague. They were kept alive, and people(USSR&US) have been working on making them into weapons grade ever since. The USSR was incredible successful. Oh by the way MR Alibek resides in the US today! I assume he works at Fort Detrick but his creations could be anywhere. Weapons grade anthrax? Fort Dettick, Ken Alibek....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join