It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New RFID travel cards could pose privacy threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Seems like the Radio Frequency ID is just steps ahead from becoming a reality. Less than two years from now Americans have to be tagged electronically in order to leave the US. The government agencies said that they were wrong with the last year's statement about the distance that the document could be read. From 10 cm now the distance has been extended to 30 feet. In the name of National Security, Americans citizen are giving away little by little their basic freedoms.

news.com.com
Future government-issued travel documents may feature embedded computer chips that can be read at a distance of up to 30 feet, a top Homeland Security official said Tuesday, creating what some fear would be a threat to privacy.

Jim Williams, director of the Department of Homeland Security's US-VISIT program, told a smart card conference here that such tracking chips could be inserted into the new generation of wallet-size identity cards used to ease travel by Americans to Canada and Mexico starting in 2008. Those chips use radio frequency identification technology, or RFID.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is sad to read news like that regarding a country which is considered from the rest of the world as the last bastion of freedom and democracy.
How much more basic freedoms and privacy are going to give up american citizens in the name of Homeland Security or National Security?
The Government says that, by means of this Request for Information (RFI), seeks to identify superior remote data capture technologies for recording entries and exits of travelers through Ports of Entry... but is that enough to convice americans?

Related News Links:
news.com.com]The Real ID rebellion
news.com.com]Alien Technology files for IPO
news.com.com]RFID vulnerable to attacks, researchers say
news.com.com]An RFID solution to rush hour headaches?

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Telos]

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Telos]

[edit on 19-4-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
RFID is here to stay. It's too lucrative to big corporations and the possiblities are endless Trust me I know.

RFID=knowledge=power Nuff said?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Sure its profitable. But I think it should be as simple as this. Don't travel if you require those documents. I mean, if tourism in and/or out of America had a drastic enough change, and would only have to be a small % really, then I think they could change their mind.

30ft? Does that mean anyone that happens to get their hand on the RFID reading technology can find you within 30ft? Surely for travel documents you would want something that has to be scanned directly, like within a few cm to ensure security of the travel documents themselves.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
once its a mile, not 30ft thats it, you will be tracked anywhere throught mobile phone transmitters.
Which you are already through mobile phones. but it you dont own a mobile...

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
And the "Thought Police" is out there as well, lurking, listening.....

Be careful what you think.

You are being listened to, Dont think.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
As far as I read is a technology easy to hack and accessible for viruses. God knows what a heck are they doing. Looks like very soon we're all going to be a masive lab rat like population.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Jim Williams, director of the Department of Homeland Security's US-VISIT program, told a smart card conference here that such tracking chips could be inserted into the new generation of wallet-size identity cards used to ease travel by Americans to Canada and Mexico starting in 2008. Those chips use radio frequency identification technology, or RFID.

Since identity cards which are used to travel to foreign nations are commonly known as passports, this should be a welcome security feature for us as a citizen. As far as privacy is concened, noone is stating, nor submitting legislation, that you must carry these documents on you at all times. These are for traveling to foreign countries. Due to American foreign policy in the last few years, world opinion of America has seriously taken a nose-dive, and American citizens can be at danger in many places on Earth.

Of course there is no demand that you carry it at all times, nor is there even the suggestion in the article. If you can afford to travel to another nation, you can afford a safety deposit box at a bank to keep your RFID away from your home.

The only objections I will ever have about identity cards or RFId for that matter is if I am required to carry it at all times. Thats is when I organize the mass burning rallies in protest. And if the leaders get too cocky about that get too cocky, the riots will soon follow.

As of right now though I have no problem. I don't even have a passport because I can not afford to go to another nation anyways. However if I ever do ge one, you can bet it will be sitting in the safety deposit box until I need it.

AdamJ, I have unfortunately had the experience of being tracked down by police using triangulation to pinpoint a signal in my juvenile years. Unless your phone or trasnmitter is holding a GPS chip, trust me it is very difficult to track you down through either one. For one you have to actually be using either one for them to begin tracking the signal. The local PD had to borrow equipment from a neighboring county because they did not even have any. And I live in a one million citizen population county, you think they would have the budget for that.

They had to stick four antennas on the top of one car (thats right only enough for one car), which wa spicking up the signal and relaying the direction in the form of an arrow on a display. And this display did not have any maps, or street names or anything. It was simply a red arrow on a black display. They had to drive around and follow the arrow which would only appear once you are transmitting. I have already been charged and convicted for the crimes which I have not discussed, therefore I see no reason to be worried about revealing it.

Of course that is only conventional electronics and transmitters. You would have to have RFId chips in your phone in ordeer for them to read you using that kind of technology. And if you have GPS, it is of course as simple as looking at a screen and following it. If you worry about being tracked, limit your exposure to new technology, it is legal and easy.

In five to ten years many of your everyday consumer goods will replace the UPC system (barcodes) with RFID chips. Wal-Mart will probably be the first company where you will notice the difference seeing as they are already doing trial runs. It will make shopping a HELL OF A LOT FASTER. Just rip the chips out of your packaging when you get home, burn them in a fire, and dump whats left in a public dumpster.

Forgive me if I appear to have gone way off topic, I just wanted to write down my responses to any possible replies and concerns ahead of time so as to conserve resources.

[edit on 4/19/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have nothing with the fact that a passport has to be a safe and secure document. So up to here I'm ok but, why a RFID? Why with RF involved? What tells me that this tag is traced only up to 30 feet away? Why should I feel all the time observed and watched?
I live right across the border, Canada and I'm pretty sure the same measures will follow for us to.
Just the idea that I'm beign watched and checked all the time makes me feel so uneasy.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
rancid1, I don't trust you at all unless you can convince me I should. Just because you say you know doesn't mean I know and until I do I don't trust you.

DYepes, you are referring to old technology. Nowdays you do not have to transmit normal traffic to be tracked. Your cell phone itself is constantly in communications with the various cell towers just so the towers/system will know where your phone is and know which to use to reach you and these comms can be tracked. Just ask NSA about it.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Astronomer68]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Telos, like I said, stick your passport into a safety deposit box, and youcan move freely without being tracked. Simple as that. In fact as long as your passport is stationary (not on you as you go) how are you being tracked? I only mention safety deposit box because it is a safe location for the actual document/card.

You could buy a safe and bury it in your yard whatever. You cover the safe right and they wont even be able to read it from 10cm!

My only beef comes if it is mandatory to carry this # on you wherever and whenever you go. My response to that will be organizing burning rallies for the cards, and if need be riots to respond to over-zealous LEO's.

Astronomer, he is pretty correct. RFID is going to replace the UPC (barcode system) on most consumer goods in less than a decade. As I stated before (is anyone caring to read my responses?) if you are worried about tracking issues, just follow what I stated before.

[edit on 4/19/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
DYepes, I have been tracking RFID technology since it's inception, so I have a pretty good idea of what it is currently capable of and where it is rapidly heading, but thanks for your words anyway. My initial post was directed at the comment "trust me". Darkelf has a thread on the subject of RFID that he has maintained now for months. Also, check out what your state/country/province may be doing, or planning to do, with automobile license plates vis-a-vis RFID.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I will have to check on that. Do you have any governent resources that would make my research a bit easier? Its 12:30 am and I should be getting to bed, but I wouldnt mind a refernce point to begin my research. Anything will be a great help. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
National ID System a "Nightmare" for States is the name of one of Darkelf's threads and he has tons of reference links. Do an ATS search on RFID and insert his name in the member blank. When you get to the thread, go to page 2 and scroll down to Drakelf's post and then click on his RFID technology research thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

My only beef comes if it is mandatory to carry this # on you wherever and whenever you go. My response to that will be organizing burning rallies for the cards, and if need be riots to respond to over-zealous LEO's.

That's the point DYepes. And that was what I had in my mind. I thoght I didn't need to mentioned... anyways. Yet again, what if becomes mandatory to carry the RFID all the time???

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Telos]

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Telos]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It's here to stay. It's already in your luggage when you travel, and coming soon to a store near you, RFID tags in your box of Tide to prevent you from stealing. Proctor and Gamble are already working with RFID tags, and soon all products will likely have them. Then stores can track items moving around the store (or leaving without being paid for), and the supplier can also track how many boxes are in the store, and automatically send more when supplies are running low.

I'm all for privacy.... but unless you are doing something wrong, what's the problem?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ahh. The old "unless you are doing something wrong what's the problem" argument.

Right to Privacy. Right.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I fully agree with your sentiment Soficrow. Privacy is privacy and I want it when I want it. I probably haven't done anything wrong in twenty years or so, but I still don't want others snooping around.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I totally agree with the privacy issue dont get me wrong, but the pointit you are getting it. You are not requuired to carry it at all times, or even keep it at home. Therefore there is no issue IMO. If it is fingerprints or DNa you are worried about, I suppose you have a right to be worried. I do not really care so much about that thougb because the government already took my DNa and prints when I was convicted for a crime.

I am sure they have most of your information anyways from hospitals and such.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Right to privacy??? What right to privacy??? The RCID idea has been around for awhile. Still dont like it. Mr. Pres. thinks he can listen in to our phone calls, there are now cameras on all the corners up in N.Y. so that they can watch at all times to make sure there is no criminal activity. A program I read about less than a year after 9-11. Mr. Pres. said he wanted cameras on every corner in every town so they could keep track of terrorist activities and "keep us safe".

This sucks! Thats all there is to it. We have no right to privacy, it went out the window a long time ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is so much that could go wrong with that. Consider, it is using a computer to do the job. There would be so many problems with that system. And since it would be computerized, give it 2 months and Hackers will figure out a way to hack into it and then let the fun begin. What happens if it is hacked, or if it, dare I say or think it?, a virus is deliberately implimented to it? What about magnetic fields would that erase it? And then what happens to those who this happens to?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join