It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Gospels remain to be discovered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I have to ask....perhaps it's because I find the notion of "finding" Judas' Gospel highly suspicious. It was announced, after all, during the media hype of Dan Brown's book, The Da Vinci Code, that I have difficulty entertaining the thought that a "new" Gospel has been discovered. It would be just too opportune. After all, "ancient" texts can be faked.

What "Gospels" remain to be discovered?

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Gospel" of the wife of Pontius Pilate. Or, perhaps, the Gospel of Joseph, Jesus' "stepfather". Any other "Gospels" that you would be interested in reading or, perhaps, basing a Christian sect upon?

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
None. There is only one Gospel, and it has been related to us through four accounts. The Gospel is relating the events that Christ came to this Earth to be the ultimate sin sacrifice for humanity, was killed as was foretold, and rose again forever freeing us from our bondage to sin and paving a way to be reunited with God.

Other false, Gnostic "gospels" may be found, but that doesn't make them legitimate accounts of what happened. Even Paul wrote explaining that there were others sending letters in his name, and the disciples', so as to attempt to add legitimacy to their own religion, and attempting to hijack the true gospel account. In Paul's time, these were easily seen through, as there people still alive who had lived through Christ's triumph at the cross, and they could point out the lies. This is why most of the Gnostic gospels we know today were written 200-300 years after the event -- there were no more eyewitnesses to point out the fallacy through their eyewitness testimony.

The cannon is closed. It was closed for the Jews 400 years before Christ's coming with the book of Malachi. It was closed for Christians with the book of Revelations. It will be reopened again when He returns. The Old Testament explains what is to come, from Genesis to Malachi, who God is, what God has done, and the New Testament tells us that Christ has come and emerged triumphant, making all who believe friends of God, instruction on the church and how we should live our lives for Him, and prophesy of what is to come in the next age. Rejoice, for He has risen!

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I do have a curiosity regarding Pilate's wife--the circumstances she shares with the biblical account of the crucifixion, combined with what is believed/rumored/known (I confess, I don't know how authoritative the information about her actually is), is very interesting, IMO.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
An excellent post JJ. Tell it like it is. You are dead on. There is no way that the Old Testament has been tampered with. God has protected his word, dispite what the lies say.

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Sun Matrix]

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Sun Matrix]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The mysterious "Q"? Perhaps Jesus's own account?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
wasnt there like over 30 synoptic gospels to start with? but only four where chosen.. because they believed in "4 corners of the earth" or some #. each christain community had their own gospel and in the end.. the people higher up in the churches orders.. chose the 4 we have today in the new testiment.
I think the selection process also had something to do with personal preference of the selectors and that those gospels were distinct and that christian would of known WHAT they where dying for and that it wasnt blurred. it was also kind of like propoganda.

i saw a interesting program on it all.

cheeser.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Not at all, cheeser, there is very strong evidence showing how the books of the New Testament were selected.

First, one of the most commonly accepted myths is that the canon (books of the Bible) was selected at the council of Nicea in the 4th century and that before that time there were many more books being read at churches.

However, there is no evidence the books to go into the New Testament was ever an issue. There are records discovered of the council of Nicea. 20 issues were discussed in order to establish a solid doctrine. However, selecting the books of the Bible was not on that list. They did vote to establish the divinity of Christ, though, and you may have heard that it was a close vote. 318 Bishops had gathered there, 316 voted that Christ is divine.

There are also documents discovered at many of the early churches that Paul wrote of that are dated to the early 2nd century, well before Constantine. They were lists of the books to read at the services they held, and most matched exactly our New Testament today. There were some letters that hadn't made their way to all the churches (it took time for a letter or copy of a letter to get to Egypt from Asia Minor).

There is also a document called the Muratorian Fragment from about 175AD that talks about the various canonical books and other books rejected by the church. This, too, is well before Constantine.

Also, what would be the point? If you became a Christian, there was a good chance you would be martyred. "I'm telling you this so you can die for it!" To what end? Why would they, too, all die for their lie, to get others to die as well? Who ever heard of a war being won by having the highest casualties?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Now when Procla, my wife, heard that Jesus was risen, and had appeared in Galilee, she took with her Longinus the centurion and twelve soldiers, the same that had watched at the sepulchre, and went to greet the face of Christ, as if to a great spectacle, and saw him with his disciples.

Mix of Herod and Pilate letters
: for those interested that haven't read Pilates letters.

I wasn't aware that Herod's daughter, that asked for the head of John the Baptist, was herself beheaded by falling into an ice capped water hole.

I'm sure there are other writings out there that just haven't been discovered yet. I've always wondered about the 'Q' gospel. It is claimed that this gospel has been hidden away by the elite for unknown reasons. I've heard the gospel of mark borrows pieces of the infamous 'Q' gospel. Indeed it is a mystery.

top topics

join