It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piasa bird - Terrifying Creature In Illinois

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is the tale of a battle that was supposed to have happened between french settlers and a terrifying Bird like monster in 1692. The battle occured along the mississippi river in the St. Louis region. I can say I have never heard of this before and I did a search and i couldnt find anything on it.

My explination on this wouldnt do the story jusitce as it is a good article that I read. Supposidly the battle took place at or near a indian village which is now home to the town of Alton, IL. If anyone lives near here have you ever heard of this? Has anyone ever tried finding the cave?

Link To Story

If you live in the St. Louis area, chances are you are familiar with the legend; or may have heard bits and pieces of it here and there. As historians and scientists dig deeper into this legend, more becomes known about a monster from the past that called the St. Louis region its home, and may still call it home today.

Upon exploring the Mississippi River in 1673, Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette noticed the strange likeness of a creature painted and sculpted on the side of the bluffs. The creature was described as “a large creature with horns like a deer, red eyes, a beard like a tiger, a face like a man, body covered with green, red, and black scales and a tail so long it passed around the body, over the head, and between the legs.” The painting depicted a dark secret that, up until now, only the Illinois Indians had known.

A few minutes later, they noticed a dark mass approaching in the northern sky. Hundreds of winged creatures, followed by the enormous Piasa Bird, were descending upon them. The soldiers began firing their muskets, cannons, and ship-mounted artillery into the mass. The creatures began to fall from the sky as they were struck by the ordinance, but still on the mass of creatures came. The solders, with Joliet and Marquette at the lead, fought a pitched battle with the creatures as men and equipment were picked up and thrown about. Bodies were torn apart as the Piasa Bird and its minions swarmed the soldiers.

That was just a bit of the story. you have to read the whole thing to gain a true impression of this legend.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
That was a good read. Whether true or not I enjoyed it.

Do you know whether or not anything else was found out? I am about to check the links at the bottom of the page to see...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Great story. Ive never heard it before & live near Chicago.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Really interesting legend! The description of the battle reminded me of a typical Hollywood horror movie...

men and equipment were picked up and thrown about. Bodies were torn apart as the Piasa Bird and its minions swarmed the soldiers.

Or maybe a scene from Lord of the Rings...

Just one thing I'd like to add. Doesn't it look more like a dragon than a bird?

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Piasa comes from the Illini Indian tongue. The Illini informed Pere Jacques Marquette that the strange glyph posted by Gemwolf was their chief Sky God, and that it's name meant 'maneater'. Marqutte was also told that 'a demon haunted the river at this place'.

The petroglyph has been repainted numerous times and has taken on a far more ferocious and detailed look than the sketches that Marquette took of it. Archaeologist Stephen D. Peet, in American Antiquitarian (1889) suggested that the Piasa Rock figure might be a representation of the local Thunderbird.

Alton and greater St. Louis has had quite a few sightings of mysterious bird-like creatures:

In January 1948, James Trares saw "a bird as big as a B29." from his house in Glendale.

On April 24, 1948 Colonel Walter F. Siegmund, U.S. Army, Retired told reporters that he had seen "an enormous bird about the size of a small pursuit plane," as he talked with the head of the Western Military Acadamy. Siegmund said that it was flying at a height of about 500 feet and was so big that it cast a shadow over two houses at once.

Another resident, E.M. Coleman, said: "I thought at first it was a glider. Then I saw it flap it's wings. It would soar for a time and then flap. It appeared to be grey and black in colour and was much larger than any bird I've ever seen."

Others who saw the mystery bird that day included two policemen.

On April 26, 1948, physician Kristine Dolezal saw this strange apparition.

On April 27, 1948, Instructors at the Mississipi Shcool of Aviation saw "an awfully big bird" at 1,200 feet.

The creature was seen again in 1977 on Route 66.

Apparently one of these creatures attempted to fly off with a boy from a trailer park near Lawndale in 1977.

Great post North Rider

[edit on 8-4-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks for posting t hat account Beelze! So these things are as big as a glider?!?! And eat kids? Thank god i dont live in america!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Regarding Beelzebubba's Thunderbird -

Did anyone see that program on the Discovery Channel? It was part of their old "Supernatural (something)" (?) series, which included shows on the plesiosaur-type sea monsters, the giant goanna lizard of Australia, the mega-giant squid/octopus, etc. I only saw the Thunderbird show once, but I thought it was the best of the series; it even sported a nice photo.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The link between the 'Mothman' and the 'Thunderbird' is very interesting. Native American lore is rich with references to 'Man-Birds'. Sightings reported by Charles Fort and John A. Keel seem to be a continuation of that lore.

Mothman & the Thunderbird: Seperated at Birth?

The 'Uktena' of the Cherokee, a snake-like deity with antlers, is very close in appearance to the 'Piasa Bird' (minus the wings). It also has the reputation of being a 'Mankiller'.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I especially liked this representation:

and able bodies to help them eliminate what they saw as a threat to trade and settlement opportunities in the region. When they returned to the village, they found it destroyed and deserted. They heard cries and screams in the distance.

A few minutes later, they noticed a dark mass approaching in the northern sky. Hundreds of winged creatures, followed by the enormous Piasa Bird, were descending upon them. The soldiers began firing their muskets, cannons, and ship-mounted artillery into the mass.

Sounds like it might be a cover story for them going in and destroying the village. Though the background myth does sound like a typical and authentic myth. It notes that the story was never officially reported also.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I've lived in St. Louis Missouri all 26 years i've been alive. I have never ever ever heard of this legend. I've been to all of the museums in the area, have seen almost all of the sites and this is the first i've ever heard of it.....

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hmm, I did some research on demonology a couple of days ago, this demon is definitely male, and it is of a class of demons that interbreed and create new versions. It's a mix between a whatever and something alse. I found the names, but now I forgot them and I don't bother to find them again. Anyway, did someone here wonder why it hadn't been spotted after the french chased them back into their cave and SEALED THEM IN BY BLOWING THE ROCKFACE???? (Or was that someone else who wondered?) Well DUH.... they are SEALED IN, and best left that way too! Someone was gonna send an expedition as soon as they raise enough money... crazy scientists who think it's an extinct LIVING being. I have seen enough horror movies to tell you the sequel: Scientists find monsters alive, and let them out after being killed themselves, and monsters fly off and terrorize St. Louis. or whatever the closest city was, and possibly spread across the world. NICE GOING...

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think they should be let out. It's about time someone taught those damned Homo Sapiens a thing or two about .......

Aren't I one of them???

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thunderbird, they were sacred to certain native americans and I have heard the legends, I remember hearing about the boy who was nearly snatched by one.

They are supposed ot be somesort of prehistoric condor. about a 100 ft wingspan if I recall right. thats a big damn bird.....

top topics

join