It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Methanol Cloud Detected in Space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I know what you're thinking, but unfortunately it isn't ethanol, the stuff you drink, but methanol, which is rather poisonous. Still, it's an interesting discovery.

Read on --

Alchohol cloud found in space

Astronomers say they have spotted a cloud of alcohol in space that measures 463 billion kilometres across, a finding that could shed light on how giant stars are formed from primordial gas.

The vast bridge-shaped cloud of methanol has been spotted in a region of the Milky Way called W3(OH), where stars form by the gravitational collapse of concentrations of gas and dust.

[...]

Around 130 organic molecules have also been identified so far in space, fuelling speculation that these complex molecules may have helped to sow the seeds for life on the fledgling Earth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Did you get the size of that cloud? If my math is correct, that's 3,095 AU, or nearly 3,100 the distance from the Earth to the Sun

Related ATSNN Discussion:
SCI/TECH: Sugar Cloud found at Center of Milky Way - Clues to the Origin of Life?

MOD EDIT: Sorry, but people seem to read the title and just reply... No one seems to catch on the first thing you said is that it is not the kind you drink. Maybe the title change will curb this...

[edit on 4/5/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
An alcohol cloud in space?
Maybe the aliens were drinkin out there and it was left over.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudCanadian
An alcohol cloud in space?
Maybe the aliens were drinkin out there and it was left over.

Could anal probing be the ET version of cowtipping!?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thats funny !!!!!!

You think if it came to earth it would do any damage ? or would everyone just get wasted ! LOLOL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
Thats funny !!!!!!

You think if it came to earth it would do any damage ? or would everyone just get wasted ! LOLOL

It's actually quite toxic. This isn't the stuff you drink, it's very similiar though.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Keep in mind, this isn't the first discovery of a massive amount of organic matter. A few years ago Antifreeze had been discovered in space. Also, ethanol was discovered over a decade ago in another region of space: Ethyl Alcohol in Space.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Wow...

Someone could get wasted on an astronomic scale.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Xabora]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Still, it's an interesting discovery.

Another apsect showing that there's a lot of resources out there, and we should look more into space mining as an answer to our energy problems.

Colorado School of Mines: Space Resources Roundtable
Life in Space: Settlement, Habitats, Space Industry, etc

NASCAR could use a 463 billion km wide methanol cloud,
maybe they should sponser space tankers.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Could anal probing be the ET version of cowtipping!?

C'mon, that's not nice! They've got important things to look for up there ya know!

Tis a cool find, perhaps an intergalactic supertanker hit a comet on its route to wherever.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That was left over after the last Intergalactic Kegger.

To bad we missed it.

Interesting find.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Wow! That's actually gas that had accumulated in the White House and the administration!

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You mean, Im still wasting my time on earth when there is a big cloud of intergalaticv vodka out there, UNTAPPED??????????????

Maybe thats where the souls of alcoholics go when they die.

If there are any planets in this could, I wonder if the inhabitants have learned to walk uprgith yet, or have they even bothered trying, when staggering is so much more convienient?

Im already looking to invest in some real estate in this cloud here. I could happily retire there. Who needs oxygen anyway?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
wheres the mass cloud of Grandma Utz Potatochips?

an thats nutz, anti-freeze. was that just the elements of anti-freeze? or actually earth made anti-freeze justa chillin in space. Wow if so we are poluting a storm. o-)

maybe the greys are probing us to find out why we are so retarded that we cant contain our own trash.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think it's natural anti-freeze.
There are some species of fish that produce it.

Anyway, they neeed to discover a cloud of the kind you can drink that's as big as this Methanol cloud.

Man I'll break into Area 51 just to get a starship to go there.

Lots of interesting stuff in space.

Now when are we gonna find the giant cloud of caffeine?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I think it's natural anti-freeze.
There are some species of fish that produce it.

Yeah, not the kind you put in engines.

Now when are we gonna find the giant cloud of caffeine?

God, I hope so!

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Methane is naturally occurring.
If Im not mistaken; Methanol needs to be manufactured artificially.
Who or what is MAKING this stuff?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This just in:

Hopes that the abundant clouds of methanol in space could help drive down gas prices her on earth were dashed today when an unnamed politician announced that Osama Bin Laden was hiding weapons of mass destruction there.

"We know for certain that the weapons of mass destruction found in these dasterdly clouds are dangerous enough to threaten our freedom. Democracy must be brought to the vast expanses of space. Today NASA has launched the lastest breakthrough in chemical and space technology. This rocket will carry its cargo to the distant methanol clouds and through the process of chemical reactions turn it into harmless beach sand. NASA will then be able to use the Hubble telescope to search the vast expanses of this beach sand to find these weapons of mass destruction."

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Almost too many resorces in space, the proportions are obcene. To have a place larger then earth composed entirely of alchohol.

Its just plain decadent.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Oh well, guess no space parties.
Just hope this stuff never comes our way.
Just another dooms day prediction for the
ATS members!

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hey this isn't a dooms day prediction, its a cloud of salvation.

And this isn't a dance hall buddy, its a candy store.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join