It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our joke of a Music Industry

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Also Atlantic is trying pretty hard to branch out and get into the indie rock scene a little more. Not to mention small labels like Fat Wreck Chords are starting to stand on their own two feet and make names for themselves. I'd say that the face of mainstream music is definately changing for the better. Artists are learning more about their legal rights, and getting what they want on their own terms. I'm pretty excited about everything seeing as thats the field i work in.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yeah Andy Karp's at Atlantic is trying. He's been checking out alot of people that are into R&B. But thats not really his specialty. Jason Flom is younger and smart and into fresh music, so I'm glad he's taking the reigns over at Virgin Records.

Yobrandonraps,
you in the industry or a musician. You seem to know alot about the music industry, how'ed you learn about Fat Wreck Chords? Usually nobody knows who any of these labels are except for the majors. You into punk rock? Just curious.

Kudos.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I don't want to get off topic here at all, but I just want to take a moment to thank both of you guys.

I'm not in the industry at all, not even a lick of musical talent in my body.

Just a strong love for music, and I get frustrated when we get fed with crap.

So I thank both of you two for putting alittle bit of life back into this thread. It's been asleep for alittle too long.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Yeah Andy Karp's at Atlantic is trying. He's been checking out alot of people that are into R&B. But thats not really his specialty. Jason Flom is younger and smart and into fresh music, so I'm glad he's taking the reigns over at Virgin Records.

Yobrandonraps,
you in the industry or a musician. You seem to know alot about the music industry, how'ed you learn about Fat Wreck Chords? Usually nobody knows who any of these labels are except for the majors. You into punk rock? Just curious.

Kudos.

I'm both a musician and in the industry. I was head of PR for a NY based record label Five Point Records, as well as in several touring bands....so this kind of stuff gets me all excited. At the moment I am working for a local Boston magazine as head of PR. And yes...I love punk rock, as well as just about everything else....and yes that means a little country!

What are your thoughts on the whole underground labels becoming more mainstream? Its obvious that bands like hawthorne heights and other bands of the like have more and more publicity than ever before. How do you feel about the emerging trends associated with the whole screamo movement that is now sweeping modern pop culture?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yobrandonraps,

I'm in the management/representation part of it + session stuff. Would be cool for you to U2U me and talk. What end of the country you working in, what sorta stuff you're doing in the industr? I'm excited about the latest developments although it's still in a pretty dismal state, but i think people are begining to move slowley towords the light. Not sure if a contempory musical reneisance is going to happen anytime soon, but it's definantly improving.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I don't want to get off topic here at all, but I just want to take a moment to thank both of you guys.

I'm not in the industry at all, not even a lick of musical talent in my body.

Just a strong love for music, and I get frustrated when we get fed with crap.

So I thank both of you two for putting alittle bit of life back into this thread. It's been asleep for alittle too long.

I'd say the ability to distinguish talented good music with soul from absolute audio dribble shows some sort of musical talent. It's apparent that a whole lot of people can do it!!! So....you have talent.

And thanks!

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I went to berklee and new england conservatory-nice to see someone else who's in boston. I remember the Back Bay fondly and gigs at the Middle East, T.T. the Bears. Gotta run some errands I'll be back in about 15 min.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hey Chissler,

No problem, I could probably keep this thread alive just with half the stories I could tell about the industry.

I hear from people all the time that hey don't have any musical talent but I have found that if you can figure out how they like to think, get inside their heads and explaine music in a way they can picture it for themselves, the rest comes very easily. I've gotten old folk and young with no talent to be able to play at least some basic stuff,which usually blossoms into actual talent. So it's never too late to pick up an instrument. All brains have the musical quotient in it IMHO all is needed is that persons personal key to understanding it to access it and utilize it.

You probably have all the talent you need to start learning, especially if you can already appreciate music for musics sake. Does any of this make any sense?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My biggest problem is with music celebrities and DJs. They think that if your boss can pull off a lie or good stunt against you. That they are therefor "superior" to you, like a king or something, because of fame or education. Both of which are debatable. Since I'm currently invovled in a situation involving this and the internet.
In fact, he just sent me an e-mail last night threating me again. He always says the same thing.

Acting like I'm selling something. It doesn't matter, we've had the same fight for years. The first few times, he was justified in it. But now it's just him blindly following a bunch of male celebrities, he himself knows all took acting classes. Then instructed their girlfirends or wives on the plan, about two years ago, when I got kicked out of my mother's house back in June.

All because they didn't like me on the net. Then they lied to their famous friends, etc. when I gave them their ideas, and a big studios I let use my ideas for their shows. It's just sick and wrong, and never use tagworld or myspace ever again. You can find the celebrities easily.

Please, don't answer me on this guys. I just wanted to be a novelist and playwriter and they want to stop that too. Because my supervisor doesn't like that. They even lied to the Supervisor of our stores and made this whole thing up about me, drugs(will never touch), alcohol(which I probably will barely touch), and them. Just as an excuse to try and get me to quit.

I hope their fans come to the realization, I'm not lying, I won't be told what I can do with my life, when nearly all but the original lincencing papers this year were done illegaly by harassment, drugging, voilence, lying, or by death threats at me and my family.

It's one thing to already be a "failure", but this is the sick level.

[edit on 10-15-2006 by usaforever]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well, as a band called Idlewild once said. "Support your local poet"
I try and find some good local bands to listen to.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join