It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our joke of a Music Industry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ok my rant here is for the joke of a music industry we endure today. My all time favorites are Johnny Cash or John Lennon. I look back at those guys and they were told at every corner, don’t do this or don’t do that. Yet they ignored all of the critics and put out some of the greatest music we have ever heard. Labels laughed at Cash when he wanted to record a record at Folsom prison and have it done live. He would not take no for an answer and it was one of the best selling records of all time. Or John Lennon for instance, yeah Yoko Ono probably did not do too much justice for his career but he loved her and regardless of what the critics said he put out the music he and her appreciated.

Imagine, Stand by Me, Come Together, these are all classics done by John at a time when people were telling him to change and conform. This is exactly what the industry of today lacks. We have carbon copy bands being pushed together and singing these bubble gum songs and focusing more on their dance moves then lyrics. Or we have a dime a dozen rappers all saying the same nonsense we have heard a thousand times already. I understand with the greats that have come before them it is tough to be original, but the lack of effort to stand out above the crowd is sad.

Today the norm is to preach about standing out and being different, but basically this has become how to conform. If you’re not trying to victimize yourself and say how bad your life has been, then they feel like nobody is going to listen to their records. Bands like koRn of the 90’s, Good Charlotte of today or any other of these little so called punk rock bands all have the same lyrics and it’s a waste. Some of these guys probably have talent, but if your not willing to stand up to the label and say No, I am going to sing and write for who and what I am, then we will stay in this constant rotation of records not worth buying.

A band gets famous on writing and performing songs that victimize themselves and portraying themselves as the innocent victims. But what happens when you make it big, you’re making the millions and all of the sudden you’re the guy with thousand of girls at your heels. How can you continue to sing the same songs? Makes me sick.

Kurt Cobain said it best,
“Its better to burn out, then fade out”

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Mayb e that's why I listen only to Metallica and no other rock group. I like how they change their style with every album, and many hate them for that, but I think that's why I like them... They do the music THEY want, not what WE want... but I love it all so it works out anyway,.

But yes, I see where you're coming from. I'm so fed up with today's music that I get some cd's from back then, including some Highway Men and Johnny Cash and pretty much listen to them unti l the cd's are worn out and I need to buy some other ones.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Metallica definately burned out, and I don't mean burned out as in burned an extra copy of St. Anger to have in the car or give to a friend, I mean burned out as in went up in flames when I threw it in the fiery pit of shift+delete. It didn't even make it to the recycle bin!

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Panzeroth]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
it is kinda weird how the music industry suck...but some music is cool so i dont care.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   

t is kinda weird how the music industry suck...but some music is cool so i dont care.

Sorry but can you elaborate on what music is cool? I'm assuming you're listnening to more indie/hard to find stuff. It's all out there, lots of good bands go unnoticed and require word of mouth to become big. We got some flaming lips and pearl jam and tool coming out this year (hopefully) and chinese democracy will blow everyone away (although it will never be released.

Imagine, Stand by Me, Come Together, these are all classics done by John at a time when people were telling him to change and conform.

Sorry to be a music nazy but Come Together came off a Beatle's album (abbey road). Not that it means anything, I love the Lennon songs you mentioned plus Instant Karma has always been me favorite.

Today the norm is to preach about standing out and being different, but basically this has become how to conform. If you’re not trying to victimize yourself and say how bad your life has been, then they feel like nobody is going to listen to their records.

Do you think this is the fault of the music industry or a deaper sociological thign where people are more attracted to music they can relate to as far as the pain and the badness in life is. It's not about falling into a pit of despair and worthlesnes, although I guess it happens. I'll tell you Nevermind probably saved my chances of ever having a respectable taste in music. yeah they're band vibe is depressing but it also connects on certain level to people like me who admittedly is not the most knowledgable person in the world (yet)
Also, I like your quote Issler, I've read it before, and I know it a reference to a Neil Young song but I don't think the quote is necesarily suicidal, but what do I know anyway, and that was off topic (sorry)

Thank You

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Good music IS out there if you look for it. The industry is built on profits, take that away from them. Buy from band owned indie labels and do yourself a favor.

Even better, go out to a concert and support the band; shows pay for records.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I've always thought the "pop" industry, which basically encompasses most of todays music, in every genre, would have to "Pop" eventually, and music would start getting better. I see now this is not the case - there are two types of music and I as I see it it'll stay this way until there's a change in society and civilization itself.

There's music, which is music, and is good.
Then there's "Music" as in "Business", which as we know, is just a race for money. This music concentrates on how best to get copies sold and how to make kids think this is what they *need*. I always thought it would stop eventually, people would just get fed up, but after songs like The Crazy Frog and The Fast Food Song (*McDOnalds, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut*....I mean come on) got accepted as music and entered the charts, I knew it was too late.

It's true, if you want good music, you won't have a better chance than word of mouth and live concerts, because if you look to the media or the popular consensus, you'll probably only see the "Business" music, and you don't want that (Hopefully).

I blame The Spice Girls, even the bad music was good before they came along

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Imagine, Stand by Me, Come Together, these are all classics done by John at a time when people were telling him to change and conform.

Sorry to be a music nazy but Come Together came off a Beatle's album (abbey road). Not that it means anything, I love the Lennon songs you mentioned plus Instant Karma has always been me favorite.

I know. But it was Lennon performing it by himself that is my personal favorite.

My rant is coming from exactly what chebob said very well. The industry today is more about making money rather than putting out good music. Obviously our world spins off the almighty dollar, but our music suffers from it.

Kwyjibo is right, band owned labels are the future I hope.

The last thing our world is another Simon Cowell pumping out carbon copies year after year that sing the same boring songs.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just look at what happened to Creed. Their first album and to some degree their second album was music the way it should be. Then they get rich and famous and turn into a bunch of pillow biters.
Now Scott Stapp's whole life consists of getting in to fights with anyone and everyone. He's become Tommy Lee lite. What a freakin' loser!

Also, Nickleback is about the biggest bunch of pussies (I forgot.....can I say pussies?) I've ever heard. I remember driving in the car with my g/f and a Nicklewack song came on and the first lyrics the dude sang was something like "I love it when your pants are down around your ankles". WOW...........that's freakin' genius!! All these groups now are wack!

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Creed is the perfect example of how these bands are writing and singing garbage that none of them believe in. I have seen interviews where Creed has been so against some of the work they did earlier in their career.

How can a musician but their name on something they don't believe in.

I mean they have to have some talent, or they would not be in the position to begin with.

Why put your name on this crap you don't believe in. Any talent you had is all forgotten, and your dignity is just a figment of your imagination.

I remember a Good Charlotte song that my sister would sing a few years ago, now these guys are full of tattoos and walking around like they will fight the world. But writing lyrics like...

"Girls dont like boy's, girls like cars and money"

?... What?? Are you..? Serious?

This is considered punk music? What the hell did I drink last nite to end up in this nightmare.

At the end of the day alls I can say is Wow!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hi Chissler

Creed is the perfect example of how these bands are writing and singing garbage that none of them believe in. I have seen interviews where Creed has been so against some of the work they did earlier in their career.

Yeah nobody admits to being a Creed fan these days, but the had some decent riffs on the first and second album (I didn't own them so don't flame me for poor music choices) You don't seem to be able to seperate Creed from Scott Stap, who was proven himself to be a complete joke. I'm pretty sure the musicians behind him were milking that cash cow the whole time while at the same time despising Stapp. The band with the former Creed members (Alter Bridge?) is getting any reall attention. It seems a band needs a egotistical singer that grabs people's attention, even if they have no respect for the singer as a human being.

How can a musician but their name on something they don't believe in.

Easily, its all about the $$$. Even with all the cash they had flowing in eventually something led them to leave that cash cow. Now they all will disappear into undifferenciated wisps of nothingness, at least as mainstream music is concerned. Although I did think Tremonti was a competent guitarist at some times.

I remember a Good Charlotte song that my sister would sing a few years ago, now these guys are full of tattoos and walking around like they will fight the world. But writing lyrics like..."Girls dont like boy's, girls like cars and money"

Now I'm not defending Good Charlotte in the least, but those somewhat juvenile lyrics do make sense in this day and age. Their music is aimed at High Schoolers (I think) and I would interpret this lyric as showing the increasing materialism of the ladies. They seem to choose dudes who can buy them stuff and the whole romantic thing is non-existant. Kinda shows you how marriage and love and family are being deemed valueless and how people in general are losing their sense of values (assuming values exist). Again I despise Good Charlotte so I'm not defending their value to exist at all.

Thank you

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hi ya'll

Sorry to do two posts in a row but I guess that just means I'm super awesome(:af

The industry today is more about making money rather than putting out good music. Obviously our world spins off the almighty dollar, but our music suffers from it.

I was just wondering if you think the industry has ever been about putting out good music over making the all-mighty dollar. The problem I think the industry is having is that there is such a diverse taste of music out there that they can no longer promote the "super" bands as well as they once could (plus downloading music can't be a great thing for them (unless they learn to profit from that)). On more of a random note, have you heard of the band Fugazi? They're an independant band that run their own label (dischord) and seem to be the benchmark for where the music industry should head. Unfortunately most bands wouldn't go through the effort of handling the business of music themselves. Anyway, sorry if this adds nothing to the conversation, I seem to suck at making reasonable points.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No you make a strong valid point. Im not familiar with the band, but I would much rather see a band run a label rather then some big wig in a fancy suit who could not string a guitar.

I've seen documentaries on Lennon and Cash, and on more than one occasion they ignored the critics and took major risks with the music they were putting out. It was not about the dollars that came in, it was about the music they put out. This was a time when some of the greatest music was being created.

Cash would not conform or compromise on his wish to record a live album at Folsom prison. He would not be who he is today without that album. That completely rejuvenated his career. So rather than being a talent that went to waste by drugs, he was a musical genius who had a rough patch that he was able to overcome.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Amen to that!

Which is why I prefer my Swedish underground metal to American/UK mainstream crap!

There's ALOT of talent in the underground. Check out a band called Scar Symmetry, they're amazing.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I find it funny that there even is a "music industry."

Music is an art form. Instead of people focusing on the art they focus on the so called artist and turn them into false idols.

Kind of sick twisiting an artform this way.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hey Chissler,

FYI, Fugazi was an offshoot of Minor Threat, who were a dominant 80's hardcore/punk band. I know you probably don't care, I just like to share useless information pointlessly.

I don't know much about Cash, but I have massive respect for him and definetly planning on adding him to my collection (his albums not him as a person).

You're spot on about Lennon. I think he was the catalyst that took Beatles from a great pop band to a greater musical band. That didn't make sense I know. What I mean is he expanded the Beatles musical repertoire and made some timeless music with and without the Beatles. However, he did pay the price with death, which I won't get into since this isn't a conspiracy forum. To put it bluntly, I think his revolutionary attitude played into his demise, unfortunately for us.

Guy Fawkes
Music is an art form. Instead of people focusing on the art they focus on the so called artist and turn them into false idols.

This happens because of marketing, which is a necessary evil in capitalism. Some people do idolize these musicians, mostly teenagers. I freely admit that I use to think Kurt Cobain could do no wrong but I never worshipped him as a false idol or anything. These days I don't know which musicians the kids look up to. It seems all the generational spokesmen are gone, for better or worse.

-Kwyjibo

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

You're spot on about Lennon. I think he was the catalyst that took Beatles from a great pop band to a greater musical band. That didn't make sense I know. What I mean is he expanded the Beatles musical repertoire and made some timeless music with and without the Beatles. However, he did pay the price with death, which I won't get into since this isn't a conspiracy forum. To put it bluntly, I think his revolutionary attitude played into his demise, unfortunately for us.

So he stood up for what he believed in regardless of what the critics said. He put out some of the greatest music we have ever heard, not to mention dying a martyr. Not to bad I would say.

This is what made Lennon, anybody who knows anything of him, they realize what he stood for. The words he spoke were probably the biggest factor that contributed to his death, actually theirs no doubt in my mind, however look what he is today to our current generations for these actions.

Good bands come and go, but greatness is a rarity that only comes along every so often. It can not be faked, if your not singing something you do not believe in, greatness is only a figment you can dream about. Really believing in the lyrics adds to the song, and the fans take notice.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Chissler,

I would say it is too bad that he died a martyr (obviously; I just thought the way you phrased your first sentence was interesting). I think that not a lot of people understood what Lennon stood for (FYI, I'm 23 and was not even alive when Lennon left this mortal realm, and am still looking for good info on him). People love his song "Imagine" but I don't think they understand the concepts Lennon was going for in that song, most just label him as a commie or something. Greatness is a rarity and Lennon definetly had it. Kurt Cobain has been compared to Lennon as a generational influence (for my generation) but even though I love Cobain, he wasn't in the same league as Lennon.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
My all time favorites are Johnny Cash or John Lennon.

Get with the times, Grandpa.

Why not listen to a few people who are still alive?

You sound like you'd be a Steve Earle fan.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Originally posted by chissler
My all time favorites are Johnny Cash or John Lennon.

Get with the times, Grandpa.

Why not listen to a few people who are still alive?

You sound like you'd be a Steve Earle fan.

Good one young fella. Since I am all of twenty years old myself.

And actually I am a Steve Earl fan, copperhead road, guitar town are two good songs.

Its not that I don't listen to current music, I do follow all of todays music otherwise why would I be criticizing todays music industry?

Explain to me why listening to musicians who have passed on is a problem for yourself? Theres not a band or singer out there today who is not directly influenced by a John Lennon or a Johnny Cash son

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join