It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USMC to replace M249

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
USMC to replace M249

There has been talk of retiring the M249 LMG, or SAW, for a few years now, last year a contract was announced to build a suitable replacement for the light machinegun.

I read in a magazine the requirements, but currently can not find the magazine
From what I remember the requirements are

Weigh less than 15 lbs
Be able to use a standard M-16 clip
Firing rate of at least 500 RPM

There are others, but these are the basics
I like the Ultimax 100, Light weight, Aftermarket drum magazines offer transparent sides, one man operation
Any ideas what would be ideal for the Marines?

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I love the M-249... it pwns in AA...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I bet any minuate now they will want the H&K MG4, It is so similar to the FN Minimi. The previous H&K 21/23 were a beast.

Howabout the Spanish CETME Ameli? Its a 5.56mm version of the MG42/3 lightweight and fires up to about 1000rpm!, Just if it had the ability to take magazines too.

Plus it is Recoil Operated.

I also wish they made the Browning M1919A4 in 5.56mm and was adjusted for carrying around like a Rifle/GPMG.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
copy that Figher Master FIN !!!
I thought i was the only one that played anymore!
WOOT !!!

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
AA rocks

I still prefer dear old AK

As for the thread i'd sugest taking a look at some beltfed AR models smaller firms are developing...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I tought the Americans where going to start replaceing all "M" class weapons with the "XM" class....much better weapons i think its about time theay made somthing that actuley looked like was made for the future.Check out this link at the bottom you will see there is a saw version.I think all XM weapons will beat the crap out of the "M" class ones....as cool as XM weapons look because there part American i bet there mostley plastic! or fiberglass or smthing
when will theay lern its ok if it weights a bit more long as it dont break when you hit someone with it
russians got the right idea wood and iron!

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by uuhelpus
USMC to replace M249

Is the USMC not the United States Marine Corps?

If not what is it

Justin

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I tought the Americans where going to start replaceing all "M" class weapons with the "XM" class....much better weapons i think its about time theay made somthing that actuley looked like was made for the future.Check out this link at the bottom you will see there is a saw version.I think all XM weapons will beat the crap out of the "M" class ones.

That's usually what happens. The "X" is just a designator to show that the weapon is in the experimental stage. Once the weapon is approved or whatever, it will lose he "X" it's name.

I think it's the same for military planes too, not sure though.

Later
Sporty

[edit on 28/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The Marines need to replace the Osprey ASAP!

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
I bet any minuate now they will want the H&K MG4, It is so similar to the FN Minimi. The previous H&K 21/23 were a beast.

Howabout the Spanish CETME Ameli? Its a 5.56mm version of the MG42/3 lightweight and fires up to about 1000rpm!, Just if it had the ability to take magazines too.

Plus it is Recoil Operated.

I also wish they made the Browning M1919A4 in 5.56mm and was adjusted for carrying around like a Rifle/GPMG.

None of those has a mag/beltfeed capability. The HK23E can easily be converted to either mag or belt feed, but not both at the same time. The only weapon of those that would be within the weight limit would be the MG4. I guess some of those weapons could be fitted with a dual feed system, but that would in turn increase the weight.

Well and the Browning 1919 is a bit on the heavy side... 31 lbs. right now

Originally posted by StephenR
I tought the Americans where going to start replaceing all "M" class weapons with the "XM" class.....I think all XM weapons will beat the crap out of the "M" class ones....

Like SportyMB indicated, there is no "M" and "XM" class, those are designations. "Class" would be something like the Nimitz-class of aircraft carriers. Usually every equipment in the US military that has been approved for further development gets an "X" in front of a preliminary "M" designation. Once the equipment gets adopted it gets a regular "M" designation. For example the M16 was the "XM16(E1)" before adoption by the army.

as cool as XM weapons look because there part American i bet there mostley plastic! or fiberglass or smthing
when will theay lern its ok if it weights a bit more long as it dont break when you hit someone with it
russians got the right idea wood and iron!

Well the XM8 you are referring to is entirely german

By the way, many plastics and compounds are sturdier-per-weight than steel, and the "breaking plastic" myth largely comes from a lack of knowledge and wrong assumptions. You can build a fragile system that is prone to breaking and you can build a sturdy system - it doesnt depend on the material you are using, that is a result of the construction and design of that piece of kit.

And just so you know, the Russians themselves have adopted a good amount of plastics for their weapons already in the 70´s...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think the top contenders for the new SAW are the Hk and Ultimax, here's an article with pics and a must see vid of the ultimax 100 MK4.

www.defensereview.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Well the XM8 you are referring to is entirely german

Even though the XM-8 was going to be produced in the US and even though it was a superb weapon and one that should have replaced the M-16 it was cancelled due to congressional pressure on the military to favor US gun manufactures. Now there is an on going competition among US gun manufactures for the replacement of the XM-8

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
From what I understand, they do NOT want it to be belt fed.
The magazine is called special weapons

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
That would be the Golf, Charlie if US Army. What made them so nice was the ability to use 200 round belt or 30 rnd mags from the M16, if needed.

It's weight 15lbs 2oz
Length 40.95 inches
Barrel 20.6 Inches
The M249 is 5.56 X 45mm NATO
Cyclic rate is 750 rpm or 1,000 rpm
The M249 is the FN Minimi of Belgium, with small changes to meet US Army requirements.

This is a very good rifle, especially the slap and remove barrel system as well as field stripping. Personally I have fired this weapon and have had the hot brass burn my hand. That was over five yrs now though, but beleive me seems like a moment ago. If they do end up finding a replacement, I hope it is a farther and harder hitting weapon system. If not, they will be losing a fine SAW in my opinion.

Source
And, Jane's ISBN # 0-00-472453-4

[edit on 28-3-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The M249 is a pretty new weapon isn't it? I mean...I guess...it's 20 years old already, man i'm getting old...

honestly, who will produce a decent machinegun in the US? there is Colt (maybe), Ruger, Winchester (going out of the firearms business?), Remington.

None of those brands really stand out like Hk does, well Colt comes close, Barrett firearms maybe as well.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Why our military or anyone for that matter is in love with the 5.56mm I'll never know.

From here to 1000 yards, a cement block can't save you from an 7.62mm that will consistently hit inside a 8in ring. 5.56mm is for prarie dogs and coyotes. But I suppose when a majority of your military can't hit crap so to speak, I suppose the 5.56mm and spray and pray techniques is good enough.

The .223rem/5.56mm is just a .22LR going 3 times faster than a .22LR.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual
Why our military or anyone for that matter is in love with the 5.56mm I'll never know.

From here to 1000 yards, a cement block can't save you from an 7.62mm that will consistently hit inside a 8in ring. 5.56mm is for prarie dogs and coyotes. But I suppose when a majority of your military can't hit crap so to speak, I suppose the 5.56mm and spray and pray techniques is good enough.

That sound about right, unfortunately. Why do you think the US went to 9mm from the .45? Who needs stopping power if you can't hit anything

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual

So true my friend. Today's modern infantryman is not taught how to shoot correctly, let alone how to use it properly.

Here in the UK, we have something called the Small Arms Trainer or SAT for short.

It uses up to 12 CO2 Laser Weapons on a computer generated range. It is pretty good and does teach the recruit or trained soldier how to shoot and in realistic weather conditions.

You can even simulate empty mags, stoppages including mis fed rounds, hard extractions or even the worst case scenario, a split cartridge case.
However, IMHO, it cannot replace the need for a soldier to put rounds down a range, and get the feel for his or her personal weapon.

Of course in today's climate, it is easier to blaze off 30 rounds on full auto, in stead of well aimed shots.

IMHO, a single well aimed shot will keep an enemy's head down, just as well as 30 that go all over the place.

Of course soldiers nowadays are wimps with 5.56. Now in my day, we were men with a man's gun - the good old FN SLR, the LMG and of course we had the General - all in 7.62mm - full metal jacket.

Hit a guy with a single round from that, and he ain't gonna be running away.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
hopefully the X in front of the M means less jaming, and better then a AK-47.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
If not, they will be losing a fine SAW in my opinion.

So true. Imo, the 249 is one the best organic weapons ever used by Marines. I would really hate to see it go. To phase this one out and introduce another will take at least a couple years...so we havent seen the last of the 249 yet.

Later
Sporty

top topics

<<   2 >>

join