It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USMC to replace M249

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
One of the weapons I hope they are considering would be the HK21E.
Specs

It is a larger caliber, and also has simular magazine adapter as the current SAW.

Or they could just go back to my personal favorite, the M60E3.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The US military is returning to .45 pistols, most likely Sig not Glock, like everybody wants.

We have at least two different weapons simulators here in the US, called SETS and FATS. I have used both and they do give a pretty good feel for firing a live weapon b/c the trainee can be given multiple situations to handle that they may not experience except in combat. The SETS system included M-16's, M-4's, M9's, M203's(Grenade Launcher
), M249's, and M60's.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by WithoutEqual
Why our military or anyone for that matter is in love with the 5.56mm I'll never know.

From here to 1000 yards, a cement block can't save you from an 7.62mm that will consistently hit inside a 8in ring. 5.56mm is for prarie dogs and coyotes. But I suppose when a majority of your military can't hit crap so to speak, I suppose the 5.56mm and spray and pray techniques is good enough.

The .223rem/5.56mm is just a .22LR going 3 times faster than a .22LR.

The concept for the 5.56mm is simple. The round isn't made to kill the enemy right off the bat. Instead, it bounces around inside someone, wounding them. The enemy unit now has to concentrate on getting it's wounded off the battlefield and back to the hospital. Thus eliminating more then one individual (the ones hit and the ones doing the collecting). If they were shot and killed they can be collected later, and not worried about right away.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join