It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who named us, Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
not sure if this is legal.
but i'll give you a WATS vote if you can tell me who named the "earth". convince me it wasn't done in vain.

i would have chosen something like Crappatron Delta 5 or something.

really, how uncool is "earth"!

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Name:
Earth is (beside Sedna) the only planet in the solar system, whose name is not derived from the Greek or Roman mythology, the origin of the now used form of naming comes from the Anglo-Saxon word Erda (Erdaz), which means ground, soil, and Earth, the word changed to Eorthe or Erthe in Old English and to Erde in German.

8th Century, in Old High German: erda, al therda, from OHG al th[iu] erda 'der gesamte Erdkreis', (meaning: hole world, earth)
Latin: Terra, Norwegian: Jorda, Icelandic: Jord, Aramaic: Ereds, Hebrew: Eretz, Greek: Era.

The name of Earth in other languages

Other names of Mother Earth
Earth goddesses: Hertha, Erda, Jörd, Fjörgyn, Hlödyn, Gaia, Tellus.
The Iroquois name for Mother Earth is Etenoha, the Lakota call her Ina Maka.
nationsonline.org

Do i get a WATS vote?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
good work and thanks.

who needs to research when you can offer a prize for the info.

what these votes worth in points?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
now if i could just work out how to give you the vote....

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
You can't give a Mod a WATS vote.
You'll have to save the vote for someone else.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
And another thing...why are potatoes in French named Pomme de Terre?

Potatoes of earth?

Lots of things could have earth following it. Why potatoes?

You dont suppose the original potato came from outer space???

[edit on 27-3-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that the humble potato is the dirt apple for the french.
I've always found that language confusing, and I had it at school for about 4 years.
I didn't learn much though.............

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
what these votes worth in points?

On your behalf I gave him an applause.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Also, technically, our scientific name for the planet is Terra, not Earth. Earth is our shorthand name, just like how we just call the Moon, moon, but infact it's scientific designation is Luna. Or how we call the Sun, sun, but infact its name is Sol.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Earth is also sometimes refered to as "Tellus".

I wonder though, 'earth' is also what you'd call a lump of dirt, and the world is made up of 'dirt', but which came first, the whole planet as earth, and then the stuff that its made out of was also called 'earth', or the dirt beneath our feet was called 'earth', and then that got applied to the whole planet.

Originally posted by dgtempe
Pomme de Terre?

"Dirt Apples" or Apples from the earth.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In the OT, Abram, before he becomes Abraham, is from the city of Ur, in Mesopotamia. Could Ur, over time, have become Earth, as Abram became Abraham?

[edit on 27-3-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Is it called 'ur' though in semitic?

Also, notice that the etymology of the english word 'earth' is from germanic, which woudln't have a connection to the name of a semitic city, and which would predate any such city too.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Ur was excavated by a joint expedition of the British Museum and the University of Pennsylvania under Sir Leonard Woolley between 1922 and 1934.

The earliest occupation of the site belonged to the Ubaid Period perhaps circa 5000 BC and the most flourishing period for the city was the Early Dynastic Period (circa 3000 - 2400 BC).

link

This is the Ur I'm referencing. I don't know about it being predated by Germanic peoples, though I do follow your language roots.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I like the name Earth...just be glad it doesn't have the 7th planet in our solar systems name.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yes, otherwise Klingons might be called dingle-berries instead.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It's a little known fact that the planet was named after Egbert Earthberg. He named the 3rd planet earthberg and was rightfully ridiculed and pummelled at his 6th grade science fair when his project, displaying the planets and the sun was unveiled. Sadly, in the years after this public humiliation, he went on a sugar binge and never lived up to the bright future his science teachers had hoped for. Over time, the joke "yo momma's butt is as big as the earthberg" became too lengthy to obtain the proper "oh snap" comments so one wise scholar tried saying the line using an abridged version of the planetary name, Earth. The term Earth became very popular and rapidly became the more frequently used name for our planet, supplanting the older, more widely used "Here"

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hmm... considering our planet is made up of over 70 percent water on the surface, and with the possibility of there being 5 times that much water underneath, maybe our "Earth" should be called "Ocean"

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
not sure if this is legal.
but i'll give you a WATS vote if you can tell me who named the "earth". convince me it wasn't done in vain.

i would have chosen something like Crappatron Delta 5 or something.

really, how uncool is "earth"!

To me, the planet's name is Terra, because I am Portuguese.

The names of common things were not chosen by anyone, who invented the names "head", "foot", "air", "sun", etc. Those names are ancient names, the origin of some of them is hard to find.

Potatoes are a good example of a relatively new thing, the potatoes only came to Europe in the 16th century.

In Madeira, (a Portuguese autonomous archipelago in the north Atlantic Ocean, for the ones that do not know it) they call potatoes "semilhas", because the first potatoes to arrive there were potato seeds from Spain, and in Spanish "seed" is written "semilla".

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I thought the name of our planet is Tellus. At least that is what I was taught in school..

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   

...just be glad it doesn't have the 7th planet in our solar systems name.

well if the planet was call your anus, well i'd be pretty disappointed.

but if the planet was called 'my anus' ......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join