It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2x32 vs 64

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I have been thinking since AMD corporation fetching 64 digit chip, which one is an intending trend, 64 digit chip or double 32 digit chip developed by Intel corporation?
We should know a lot of, we may say almost of common softwares are only based and adopt to 32 digit chip and Intel corporation is the biggest industry in the world, also I wondered which one has more practicability?
Who can teach me, I think there is maybe some experts work for these two corporation here.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Im thinking the 2x32 chip by intel was developed to provide backward capability with 32-bit applications and also support 64-bit applications, this is only a guess but id imagine this maybe the reason for this trend, I am by no means an authority on microprocessor chip design.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well AMD is backward compatible with 32 bit programs. I have one in my computer and I run Windows 2000. If my sources are correct, AMD has been making much better sales in the past 2 or 3 months than intel. And those same sources state that Intel is coming out with 64 bit extentions for future processors, so I believe 64 bit is the new trend. And so is dual-core, it's coming on faster than a teenager on an interstate.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Someday chips will have many cores and built in advantages for sound, visual, and internet communication.

That's the trend!

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Also the main reason for switching to 64 bit is that it allows more RAM-Memory to be used.. i think that its with 4 Gb or more ram you really start to notice a difference with 64-bit versus 32-bit..

Anyway i think the 64-bit AMD processors also have twice as many registers beeing used if you run in 64-bit mode.. so this will be a little bit faster compared to 32-bit mode.

So its like usual the industry starts to adopt new technology before the old one is really becoming a bottleneck..(well for home users anyway, i get a feeling some scientists are really happy about 64-bitness
) but if your buying a new computer there is no reason not to get 64-bit!! Both the Intel and the AMD are using the 32/64-bit tech developed by AMD btw

[edit on 25-3-2006 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I should really learn to push the edit button.. not the quote.

[edit on 25-3-2006 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer...RAM-Memory to be used......

That's like saying ATM machine, it's reduntant. RAM stands for Random Access Memory.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Well AMD is backward compatible with 32 bit programs.

Ok, this is the biggest worry you have solved.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

Originally posted by SilverSurfer...RAM-Memory to be used......

That's like saying ATM machine, it's reduntant. RAM stands for Random Access Memory.

Ehm yeah i know that but atleast in Sweden we say ram-minne or RAM-Memory for some strange reason or another

Maybe its because Ram (in swedish) = Frame (like the ones you hang paintings in).. and in english its a Goat

top topics

join