It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

USN document reveals secret USAF high-altitude stealth UAV black project PHAE

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I wonder if maybe the USN did this on purpose, because it was mad at the USAF for caneclling the J-UCAS program...




Janes

Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works is believed to be developing a high-altitude, stealthy unmanned aircraft system (UAS) for the US Air Force (USAF) under a secret programme, funded with money taken from the terminated Joint Unmanned Combat Air System (J-UCAS) project.

The existence of a classified air force UAS project was disclosed in a navy Fiscal Year 2007 budget document, which stated that the Pentagon "directed the J-UCAS programme to split into two separate programmes: one air force classified programme and a navy UCAV [unmanned combat aerial vehicle] programme".

The new UAV, sometimes known as the Penetrating High Altitude Endurance (PHAE), is believed to be capable of operating at the 70,000-80,000 ft altitudes used by the U-2.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.





The new UAV is much larger than the small stealth UAV that has been evaluated operationally in Iraq.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


[edit on 22-3-2006 by NWguy83]




posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
hey, when you say 'black' do you mean black as in the (f-117, b-2)?

because ive seen americans get excited by the prospect of another 'black' aircraft project and i think why?

its only paint really, i actaully think (in stealth) black is not the best option, you think about it - you look up in the sky and you see this black aircraft flying (it will stand out a mile).

but if you have a 'shinyish' type of aircraft

www.theregister.co.uk...

it will reflect off the sun and be ^A LOT^ harder to visibly see,

but yeah black looks the part and is good for 'night time' strikes, but daylight its no good.



[edit on 22-3-2006 by st3ve_o]



posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The source states that the US Navy revealed a secret US Air Force Black Project. Black Projects are special access and very tightly controlled. They aren't shared between services unless it's a joint program. I didn't see any indication that this is a joint program. How did the Navy find out about a Black Project that belongs to the Air Force?


I surprized that noone else picked up on that. The Fact that the Navy had access to a black project they weren't working on leads me to seriously question the reliability of this Information and it's source!


People Need to watch for inconsistencies like this! That is how we spot Disinformation and Misinformation.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

[edit on 22-3-2006 by ghost]



posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
The source states that the US Navy revealed a secret US Air Force Black Project. Black Projects are special access and very tightly controlled. They aren't shared between services unless it's a joint program. I didn't see any indication that this is a joint program. How did the Navy find out about a Black Project that belongs to the Air Force?


I surprized that noone else picked up on that. The Fact that the Navy had access to a black project they weren't working on leads me to seriously question the reliability of this Information and it's source!


People Need to watch for inconsistencies like this! That is how we spot Disinformation and Misinformation.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance


Well, actually no where in the Janes article does it say that the USAF program was a "Black" or Special Access Program, and not all classified or even secret programs are SAP's. Therefore it is quite concievable that Navy brass could have known about the USAF's PHAE program.
There are plenty of gray UAV programs (unacknowledged but not black) going on at Edwards and Indian Springs (Creech) - while I was at Indian Springs for the past 18 months I saw many Navy brass observing programs that were primarily funded by the USAF. This is not an unusual occurence and I see no reason to consider this misinformation.

[edit on 3-23-2006 by intelgurl]



posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
hey, when you say 'black' do you mean black as in the (f-117, b-2)?

because ive seen americans get excited by the prospect of another 'black' aircraft project and i think why?


It's not the color. Black in this context means top-secret.

From:

en.wikipedia.org...


In the United States a black project is a top-secret military/defense project, unacknowledged by the government, military personnel, and defense contractors. Familiar examples of U.S. military aircraft developed as black projects are the F-117 stealth fighter and B-2 stealth bomber, which were highly classified and denied to exist until ready to be announced to the public.



posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It said secret program, so I assumed it was a 'black' project.



posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
NWguy83:

I was replying to st3ve_o, if you check his quote in my previous reply, he wondered why anyone would get excited by a black aircraft, saying that it would be easy to see in the sky as opposed to a silvery one. he seemed confused about the meaning of 'Black' taking it to mean painted black.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
NWguy83:

I was replying to st3ve_o, if you check his quote in my previous reply, he wondered why anyone would get excited by a black aircraft, saying that it would be easy to see in the sky as opposed to a silvery one. he seemed confused about the meaning of 'Black' taking it to mean painted black.


Jadette:

I was replying to Intelgurl.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Well, actually no where in the Janes article does it say that the USAF program was a "Black" or Special Access Program, and not all classified or even secret programs are SAP's.


Good point! I think I confused the thread title with the actual article. My mistake, sorry!

Tim

PS: For all posters, Please note that the term "Black" referrs strictly to Unaknowlaged Special Access Programs. Please double check your infomation before saying something is black in order to avoid confusing others.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

Jadette:

I was replying to Intelgurl.


Ah, my apologies.


I guess I got a little confused since we're all talking about 'black'.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
All Special Access Programs are coordinated at directed by the Special Access Programs Operations Committee (SAPOC) which is a joint organization under one of the varous USD's. SAPOC is comprised of representative from all service branches, as well as DoD civilians. There are no SAP's that one service "hides" from another service.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This aircraft is officially White! Do not adjust your sets....



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
When we say "black" We are not referring to the color of the aircraft. We are refering to the Access status of the aircraft. Black are Classified Special Access Programs, but not all Special Access Programs are black.

Black aircraft normally pertain to the recon area, classified combat aircraft are normally SA Projects. Although there are Black combat aircraft, most black aircraft are cloaked in secrecy as recon. Our spy planes are what need to be shielded, not our combat aircraft.

And when flying at night(which most black planes do), black is your best friend.

Shattered OUT...



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
So this aircraft isn't red, it's really black????



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
And when flying at night(which most black planes do), black is your best friend.

Not necessarily black, but certainly "non-reflective." The point is to blend in with whatever you're around -- black sky, blue sky, gray sky -- and the best way to do that is not to show any kind of reflection that might produce a noticable contrast. Black works well, but that kind of "furry" dull gray that the SR-71 uses is probably best.



posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Actually, the dark grey does work best. Even flat black will be noticable at night. This doesn't stop air forces around the world from continuing to use good old black paint. Must have bought a lot of it, and need to use it up.

Actually, current paint systems are something else entirely, and not subject to much discussion. (That means it's secret.) It's very detailed, and there is lots of variations. It's also expensive, so the realy techie stuff isn't used everywhere.

What is noticable, is that if you're at an air show and take a picture of something with a modern camouflage paint job, it probably won't show up in your picture very well. It will look all dark and a bit fuzzy. No details will be visible. Absorption and scatter of normal light wave lengths seems to work very well, regardless of the color of the paint.



posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Looks like this report turned out to be at least partially true.


www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/25/2006 by ConservativeMan]



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join